Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devils Bit Cider

Options
  • 11-06-2013 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Any good. Tesco have 8 cans for €10 sherlockzk0.gif

Comments

mank

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

urbanledge wrote: »
    mank

Do you do reviews for a living :D

What about Kepplers?? Any good??

• Subscribers Posts: 41,279 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You may as well drink sand....

Amd your throat will be burnt off you the next day.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You may as well drink sand....

Amd your throat will be burnt off you the next day.

Sold, I like a dry cider. I am buying a pack :D

• Advertisement

Did you ever get the tesco cider?
    After you take a swig you gotta take a drink of water

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Any good. Tesco have 8 cans for €10 sherlockzk0.gif

While not in the league of, for example, an Aspall's or Savannah Dry, Devil's Bit wipes the floor with Bulmers any day of the week. Standard price at the moment is around €5.49 for 4. It's good value for the price and also 6% ABV.

Not as good as Devil's Bit, better than Bulmers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Devil's Bit would be on the higher end of the tramp cider market, to be honest. Linden Village is much worse product. Kepplers is can be more pricey and has a stronger tang than Devil's Bit. Druids is another fine option. Rosie's Dew is something of an unknown quantity to me - I've had it a a few times but I can't remember what it was like. An affordable adventure for the inquisitive among us.

In recent times the most economic option was the Tesco 3-litre flagon but that might have changed.

None of them are good ciders but they have their purpose. And as others have said, I'd sooner buy them than Bulmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

How I remember college days when Devils Bit was 85p a can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

worst hangovers of my life have been from drinking devils bit it was always a case of you either had the worst hangover of your life or no hangover at all its a strange drink.

• Advertisement

I think the best value cider and very drinkable during the recent hot spell was Aldi's Taurus.

I think the best value cider and very drinkable during the recent hot spell was Aldi's Taurus.

Never tried mite give it a shot a night over the summer.
    Ciders the only drink for drinking outside on hot days in my opinion

worst hangovers of my life have been from drinking devils bit it was always a case of you either had the worst hangover of your life or no hangover at all its a strange drink.

Devils Bit is a perfectly balanced cider produced by the Adam's Cider Company from apples grown in their own orchards in County Tipperary. It's double fermented and cold filtered, and is one of the best selling ciders in Ireland.

It takes its name from a mountain peak in Tipperary which according to local lore, was so named because the devil took a bite out of it. The legend suggests that the devil broke his teeth taking this bite and the Rock of Cashel fell from his mouth to where it now stands.

This cider contains no artificial colors, no artificial sweeteners, and no added flavoring.

Thats not bad :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Im not from Ireland, so had never heard of it before.

Last summer I was going over to a friends house so my girlfriend and I went to Dunnes to buy some drink to take with us. As it was hot, I thought I would buy a bag of ice and some cider. Saw Devils Bit in a box of 8 for 10EUR. I had no pre-conceived notions on this particular tipple.

When I arrived and started pouring it into a glass, everyone started taking the piss out of me, saying I was drinking a tramps drink etc. I tried it anyway and actually liked it. Nothing wrong with it at all, and much cheaper than the ridiculously overpriced Magners and Bulmers ciders I used to drink in Scotland. I had no hangover at all, it was as if I had not even been drinking the night before, which is very odd.

Ive bought it a few times since and scorn on anyone that even attempts to pass judgement. Pretentious twats anyway, as if I need their approval on what to drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

What about "frosty jack" cider? Is there a health warning on the can?

Its a fine cider. My only gripe is its pale, but then again, no artificial colouring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

What about "frosty jack" cider? Is there a health warning on the can?

I had a bottle of this in Belfast last time I was there and found it to be much less apply than any of the Irish tramp ciders. Not to get into a debate on the issue but twenty two units of alcohol for that price is terrifying.

The whole industrial sabotage story surrounding it is a great read: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hereford/worcs/3131391.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think frosty jacks is around 7%, I bought a can of it to see what it was like, I didn't really like it.

Devils Bit is grand though, 2 cans of devils + a bottle of bucky. Sorted.

MadYaker wrote: »
    I think frosty jacks is around 7%, I bought a can of it to see what it was like, I didn't really like it.

Classy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭DenMan

Devils Bit is nice. I bought two bottles for a tenner last weekend! You can't beat a good trampish cider! :D

btw does anybody know if you can get White Lightning here in Ireland. I got it when I lived in Bolton. Serious rocket fuel!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

MadYaker wrote: »

There are a few pubs in Scotland that sell Bucky by the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

anybody know where you can get K cider in Ireland.

There are a few pubs in Scotland that sell Bucky by the glass.

I know a pub in Co Antrim that gives its patrons a free glass of Buckie at closing time :)

Devils Bit is a perfectly balanced cider produced by the Adam's Cider Company from apples grown in their own orchards in County Tipperary. It's double fermented and cold filtered, and is one of the best selling ciders in Ireland.

It takes its name from a mountain peak in Tipperary which according to local lore, was so named because the devil took a bite out of it. The legend suggests that the devil broke his teeth taking this bite and the Rock of Cashel fell from his mouth to where it now stands.

This cider contains no artificial colors, no artificial sweeteners, and no added flavoring.

Thats not bad :)

Didnt realise it was so well made ill admit its about 5 years since ive drank it and it really was a game of russian roulette for me it was either no hangover the next day or the worst hangover of my life kind.
    Its the only alcoholic beverage i didnt get a hangover which amazed me im not sure if thats a sign of a pure well made drink or something not quite right:)ha
    I must try it again over summer to see how i fair out closer to 30!ha

Devils Bit has become my favourite but worryingly there was only 8 cans left in Tescos Bray which I snapped up. I went online and the product is no longer listed :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The company that makes it was bought out a couple of years ago, except for Devil's Bit which the original owners still have and AFAIK are planning to continue making. I'd imagine they'd have to renegotiate with the likes of Tesco, though, and may be less attractive to do business with when they don't have all the other goods in their portfolio.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The company that makes it was bought out a couple of years ago, except for Devil's Bit which the original owners still have and AFAIK are planning to continue making. I'd imagine they'd have to renegotiate with the likes of Tesco, though, and may be less attractive to do business with when they don't have all the other goods in their portfolio.

Ive mailed then directly and messaged them and Tesco via twitter. Hope I get an answer :o

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

Not a big cider drinker but no problem enjoying a can or two of Devils Spit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think its great stuff, cheap too. Seems to be less common these days though, I hope they can come to some agreement with retailers so we can keep buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

DenMan wrote: »
    Devils Bit is nice. I bought two bottles for a tenner last weekend! You can't beat a good trampish cider! :D

btw does anybody know if you can get White Lightning here in Ireland. I got it when I lived in Bolton. Serious rocket fuel!

The industry had to stop making it due to reputational issues. I don't believe it actually contained any fruit....

http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/fmcg/drinks/beer-wine-and-spirits/minimum-pricing-the-death-of-white-cider/228063.article

Advertisement