Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an post junk mail

Options
  • 11-06-2013 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

is there an official way of stopping it being delivered?
    or do you have to stick a sign on the door?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

thanks

I can see how that would work for non addressed stuff.the post man just grabs some and adds it to your pile of post before he pots it in the letter box.how could he check a list every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

thanks

There was a thread about a year ago where a post person said they had to report any "No junk mail" signs back to base. Not sure if it makes any difference as I've one and the only junk mail I get is with my post, or more than likely no post only junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Why do people get so upset about junk mail?

It is just one of the ways that people use to promote their business. If they continue to do it; it must be working for them – which is good for the economy.

An Post benefits, that also is a good thing.

Most junk mail is delivered by part-time or casual workers who earn a few euros by doing so. The material also brings business to printers. If you don't want the material chuck it into your green bin and your bin provider will re-cycle it.

Everybody wins really!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,226 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've "addressed mail only" on mine and generally only get political and some pizza junk, not an post delivered ones except the extremely rare time I've had enough post to be rubber banded together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Its just another form of advertising.

You can't ask newspapers not to sell you a paper taht has advertising.
    You can't ask the council to remove bill boards from your route.

Just accept it and you never know, sometimes there's something you will like in amongst the leaflets - I got one recently giving free sausages from the local butcher. - Enjoyed them too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Condatis wrote: »

It is just one of the ways that people use to promote their business. If they continue to do it; it must be working for them – which is good for the economy.

Most junk mail is delivered by part-time or casual workers who earn a few euros by doing so. The material also brings business to printers. If you don't want the material chuck it into your green bin and your bin provider will re-cycle it.

Everybody wins really!

Not everybody
    - Its extra waste in the environment
    - If you get junk mail it costs YOU money to get rid of it

Not everyone gets their recycle bin collected for free.

By your logic we should put up with it because it gives people money, should we also put up with illegal signs on the side of public highways, illegally posted posters on poles etc.

Sure it gives people jobs after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,226 ✭✭✭✭L1011

sandin wrote: »

Just accept it and you never know, sometimes there's something you will like in amongst the leaflets - I got one recently giving free sausages from the local butcher. - Enjoyed them too!

I don't get newspapers or billboards put up on my property without my consent.

sandin wrote: »

I stopped buying papers a long time ago, too many ads and not enough news. I can choose to ignore a billboard. I use ad blockers on my browsers. Very rarely do I watch "live" TV, if something I want to watch is on live I'll surf the net for a while so I can rewind and skip the ads.

I don't like ads full stop. If I need something I'll research the prices myself and get the best value as most of the stuff on the flyers is junk they can't sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Condatis wrote: »

Everybody wins really!
    For one, I have to pay by the lift for my recycling bin and that is where all junk mail goes immediately.

Being rural, the only junk mail is delivered by An Post.

It is a total waste of time and material.

I don't care who benefits as it's a pain in the rear for me.

On top of that it seems to be the same old stuff from the same suppliers every time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

For one, I have to pay by the lift for my recycling bin and that is where all junk mail goes immediately.

Being rural, the only junk mail is delivered by An Post.

It is a total waste of time and material.

I don't care who benefits as it's a pain in the rear for me.

On top of that it seems to be the same old stuff from the same suppliers every time!

thats my problem
    rural area -an post shoving hapes of stuff in the door

i prefer not to deal with the postmen directly
    i prefer to do it the proper way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I'm curious to find out... how much junk mail is typical? For example if you went away on holiday for 2 weeks, would your mailbox be full of junk mail? OP, how many pieces do you get in a week? I only get a few per week at most. Does it vary whether you live in a house or apartment or something else?

From personal experience in the U.S. the problem with junk mail is huge, but there is a way to send a letter to various consumer marketing organizations to remove your name which reduces it significantly. Junk mail marketers get a huge discount and are relentless. After living a few years at an address, my normal size mailbox would be full of junk mail after a couple of weeks. Even funnier during Christmas time when catalog companies like Pottery Barn send out their thick catalogs. Sometimes I would get two copies to make matters worse! :) Certainly not good for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭irishgeo

comreg have this on their website.
    Can I stop unsolicited mail?

We do not regulate this area, but there are a number of steps you can take to stop unsolicited mail, such as:

Put a sticker on your letter box that states you don’t want unaddressed mail (or 'junk mail') to be delivered to you. For example, write 'no unaddressed mail please'.
    Register with the Mail Preference Service (MPS). If you do not want to receive addressed mail from companies you have not done business with before, you can add your name to the MPS list. Companies who are members of the Irish Direct Marketing Association (IDMA) have agreed not to include people on the MPS list in any of their mailings. This is part of the IDMA Code of Practice but it is not a legal obligation and the IDMA Code of Practice only applies to its members. You may still receive addressed mail from companies that are not IDMA members. Contact the IDMA for more information: Phone: (01) 661 0470 Web: www.idma.ie
    'Return to sender' – if you receive addressed mail from someone you have done business with before. Write on the letter that you do not want to receive any unsolicited mail from them in the future, put it back in its envelope and write clearly on the front 'return to sender'.
    If you still have problems stopping unsolicited mail you can also contact:
    The Office of the Data Protection Commissioner
    Phone: 1890 252 231
    Web: www.dataprotection.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭shanec1928

ScottSF wrote: »
    I'm curious to find out... how much junk mail is typical? For example if you went away on holiday for 2 weeks, would your mailbox be full of junk mail? OP, how many pieces do you get in a week? I only get a few per week at most. Does it vary whether you live in a house or apartment or something else?

From personal experience in the U.S. the problem with junk mail is huge, but there is a way to send a letter to various consumer marketing organizations to remove your name which reduces it significantly. Junk mail marketers get a huge discount and are relentless. After living a few years at an address, my normal size mailbox would be full of junk mail after a couple of weeks. Even funnier during Christmas time when catalog companies like Pottery Barn send out their thick catalogs. Sometimes I would get two copies to make matters worse! :) Certainly not good for the environment.
    at least one piece of rubbish each day. the most we ever got in one day was 8 i think.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mine vary's,

Sometimes none, other days I could get nothing but junk mail from an post. I'm talking 4-5 bits of it at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭RichT

thats my problem

The easiest way to stop getting junk mail delivered (via An Post) is to tell your Postie that you don't want it. if you prefer not to speak to the Postie direct, for whatever reason, then you can ring your local Post Office, and they can tell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I've a "No junk mail" sign on my letterbox which reduces the junk mail significantly.

There's still the pizza leaflets delivered by illiterate immigrants who don't care and charity robbing leaflets delivered by crime gangs to rob second hand clothes from real charities... they won't care about a "no junk mail" sign.

Also religious and political leaflets don't consider themselves "junk".

But I've found that if you follow the money and complain there it helps.
    If a new chinese takeaway has dropped a leaflet in your door, ring them up directly and complain that their leaflet distributors don't respect your signs.
    Don't ring the likes of the "Leaflet Company" who drop the leaflets, ring the people who pay them.

I've a "No junk mail" sign on my letterbox which reduces the junk mail significantly.

There's still the pizza leaflets delivered by illiterate immigrants who don't care and charity robbing leaflets delivered by crime gangs to rob second hand clothes from real charities... they won't care about a "no junk mail" sign.

Also religious and political leaflets don't consider themselves "junk".

But I've found that if you follow the money and complain there it helps.
    If a new chinese takeaway has dropped a leaflet in your door, ring them up directly and complain that their leaflet distributors don't respect your signs.
    Don't ring the likes of the "Leaflet Company" who drop the leaflets, ring the people who pay them.
    i wouldn't be into ringing individual businesses myself anyhow
    that takin it too far like

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

thats my problem

What's the proper way?

kc90 wrote: »
    What's the proper way?

that my question like.........

i mean there should be an official way besides telling the postman not to do it

and the next postman etc...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

How would you suggest I stop unsolicited letters asking me to sign up to their service from a well known satellite provider addressed to

The Occupier
    1 xxx xxx
    Xxx xxx
    Xxx xxx

This is becoming a pain and even though I have "no junk mail" displayed, that has only stopped leaflets. They manage to get around it with their wording.

Thanks.

i mean there should be an official way besides telling the postman not to do it

and the next postman etc...........

There is no official way and since the biggest offender, for me with a "No Junk Mail" sign, are An Post I can't see any way of stopping it. All I get now are An Post and Alive!! all just get picked off the floor and thrown straight into the green bin.

I know in Switzerland you can put stickers on your letter box saying what level of junk mail you want from nothing to everything. We should have a similar system here.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oldon

Save the junk the post man leaves you. For a week or two. Next time you're passing a post offices open the door say heres your junk mail back. Dump it on the floor walk out. Leave them clean and bin it.

oldon wrote: »
    Save the junk the post man leaves you. For a week or two. Next time you're passing a post offices open the door say heres your junk mail back. Dump it on the floor walk out. Leave them clean and bin it.

This by the way is illegal as it constitutes littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's the very same thing as getting junk mail through the door. They are littering your house. And then we have to pay to rid of it.

It's the very same thing as getting junk mail through the door. They are littering your house. And then we have to pay to rid of it.

It's not actually. As long as you don't request no junk mail be left then An Post can deliver to your post box. You dumping items inside a post office is littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

oldon wrote: »

To be fair, An Post just deliver the mail. It is sent by the companies whom it is advertising. They are the people you should really complain to.

And, do you want to be seen as someone who just dumps litter on the floor of a public building?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oldon

Ok then put the post service junk mail in the next postbox you pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

bad for the environment by it keeps An Post in business.

it's a case of putting up with junk mail or paying more for stamps and seeing post offices shut down.

simply place it straight into your recycling bin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

dudara wrote: »
    To be fair, An Post just deliver the mail. It is sent by the companies whom it is advertising. They are the people you should really complain to.
    No, an post offer spamming as a service too and charge for the privilege. Its advertised as such on tv. They really should allow people to opt out. OP did you contact an post to see if they allow you to opt out?

Edit: actually i see an post worked with the irish direct marketing association on creating the Irish Direct Marketing Association Mail Preference Service (http://www.idma.ie/index.php?id=26). So probably best to get your name on that list as i would imagine that an post cross reference against that list since they were involved in creating it.

Advertisement