Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the big thing about the Lions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,409 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

What's amazing about the Lions is that you get to see the likes of Brian O'Driscoll partnered with Jamie Roberts in competitive matches with both at the peak of their careers (referring to 2009, but I'd love if they could do that again in 2013).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭brno

I don't understand how someone can be interested in sport but not interested in the lions. I accept other international competitions are a lot bigger but just from a sporting point of view trying to nit four teams into one and getting them to beat a top international should at least be something worth watching! Also it was great to see the likes of Keith wood finally, having struggled for years with a poor Irish side, get to compete on an even footing with the best in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

For me it's about the history and the tour ethos. It's also the highest honour for British and Irish players really.

The highest honour an Irish player could achieve is starting a World Cup Final in a green jersey and winning it.

Professionalism has smashed the 'Tour Ethos'. There was a time where the tour was a once in a lifetime adventure. Now it amounts to a few extra games at the end of the season for highly disciplined athletes.

For me the Lions belongs in a bygone era, and I have zero interest in cheering on 9 of the 15 players that will take the field tomorrow morning. I'd have no problem with three decisive Australlian wins and limited involvement from the Irish players in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I like the Lions, but I'd much prefer to see Munster win a key game ahead of the Lions win a key game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The highest honour an Irish player could achieve is starting a World Cup Final in a green jersey and winning it.

Professionalism has smashed the 'Tour Ethos'. There was a time where the tour was a once in a lifetime adventure. Now it amounts to a few extra games at the end of the season for highly disciplined athletes.

For me the Lions belongs in a bygone era, and I have zero interest in cheering on 9 of the 15 players that will take the field tomorrow morning. I'd have no problem with three decisive Australlian wins and limited involvement from the Irish players in the squad.
    You may be right about the world cup, however the tour was never a once in a lifetime event. It used to happen even more often!

It has changed for sure, but it is interesting in a different way now imo.

• Advertisement

You may be right about the world cup, however the tour was never a once in a lifetime event. It used to happen even more often!

It has changed for sure, but it is interesting in a different way now imo.

In a different world where the world was a much bigger and more disconnected place, taking a few months out of your life to go to the other side of the world and tour SA / AUS / NZ must have been an incredible experience. I can't imagine what it was like around the turn of the twentieth century or between the wars. There's no point talking about the history and tradition of the Lions, because the post professional versions bear little relation to the first century of Lions tours.

In a different world where the world was a much bigger and more disconnected place, taking a few months out of your life to go to the other side of the world and tour SA / AUS / NZ must have been an incredible experience. I can't imagine what it was like around the turn of the twentieth century or between the wars. There's no point talking about the history and tradition of the Lions, because the post professional versions bear little relation to the first century of Lions tours.

Valid points but the Lions tour still is. The players who weren't picked were gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Do any professional sports tournaments bear any resemblance to what they were like 80 or 90 years ago?

trouttrout wrote: »
    Do any professional sports tournaments bear any resemblance to what they were like 80 or 90 years ago?

Football had a professional aspect from early in the twentieth century. I'd say the FIFA World Cup is probably the most consistent competition in that sense. Change in the Olympic games was gradual and inexorable.

The Lions has changed from a gruelling multi month slog where players would be picked up on their doorsteps or outside their places of work to disappear to the other side of the world on a genuine adventure. They drank and raised hell. Now the Lions consists of fully professional athletes extending their season an extra six or seven appearances a man in a relatively brief stint in five star hotels.

How about this: can someone make a case for the Lions without boring me about tradition and falsely claiming that it is still the greatest potential honour for an Irish Rugby player?

Football had a professional aspect from early in the twentieth century. I'd say the FIFA World Cup is probably the most consistent competition in that sense. Change in the Olympic games was gradual and inexorable.

The Lions has changed from a gruelling multi month slog where players would be picked up on their doorsteps or outside their places of work to disappear to the other side of the world on a genuine adventure. They drank and raised hell. Now the Lions consists of fully professional athletes extending their season an extra six or seven appearances a man in a relatively brief stint in five star hotels.

How about this: can someone make a case for the Lions without boring me about tradition and falsely claiming that it is still the greatest potential honour for an Irish Rugby player?

It's the greatest honour in the sense that it's the hardest team to get into. Take SOB, 1 of the first in the Irishteam sheet,, yet he can't bench for the Lions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Certainly the 1971 and 1974 tours were great especially 1974 tour to South Africa with the whole apartheid era, JJ Williams amazed at the huge cheer he got from the Black South Africans, the 99 call and my favourite the Gordon Brown glass eye incident, great article here http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/may/03/lions-tour-1974-rugby. Nowadays with Autumn Internationals, summer tours and the World Cup, the mystique has gone away and the extra games just adds to the wear and tear of our national players, this tour is likely to have an effect on our provinces and national team come winter.

Rightwing wrote: »
    It's the greatest honour in the sense that it's the hardest team to get into. Take SOB, 1 of the first in the Irishteam sheet,, yet he can't bench for the Lions.

Yeah but that decision is not in anyway reflective of his ability. The player starting at 7 has no business starting at 7 ahead of him.

Yeah but that decision is not in anyway reflective of his ability. The player starting at 7 has no business starting at 7 ahead of him.

It's very reflective. Anyone who knows nothing about rugby, could instantly tell you who the 3 or 4 best players in these islands based on player being guaranteed a Test spot.

It's very reflective. Anyone who knows nothing about rugby, could instantly tell you who the 3 or 4 best players in these islands based on player being guaranteed a Test spot.

So your saying that Warren Gatland's opinion gets to be the ultimate arbiter of an Irish player's career? Hmm, I would disagree on that.

Well Warburton isn't the best 7 in Wales so that doesn't make much sense

So your saying that Warren Gatland's opinion gets to be the ultimate arbiter of an Irish player's career? Hmm, I would disagree on that.

Take POC, 7 Lions Test starts in a row, that's the ultimate for a player, no one can argues against those stats.

Take POC, 7 Lions Test starts in a row, that's the ultimate for a player, no one can argues against those stats.

Yes, but not every Lions starter is a POC. Ugo Monye?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I'm sure plenty of players would take a world cup medal or a H-cup medal over a lions cap.

But that's not the point, you are not comparing like with like. Winning something for club and country is special. Your club is your family and winning internationally is something that appeals to your very identity. But the lions is something different, it's the highest representative honour that any rugby player can aspire to. It's a dream team of the best players from 4 tier 1 rugby sides.

Some players might not understand that though, if they never get a cap. Look at the attitude Rory McIlroy had before his first Ryder cup, compared to his attitude afterwards.

The lions might be a cobbled together group, just like the Ryder cup teams are, but getting out there on the pitch with a partisan crowd behind you, who have travelled half way across the world and begged borrowed and stole to see the matches? That must be an incredible experience. Test matches in front of a sell-out crowd with nothing up for grabs except for pride.

This is why we have international sport, why we have world cups, why we have player of the year awards. As humans we thrive for new ways to compete. That same desire which built the idea of the lions also gave rise to professional rugby, the heineken cup, the super {N}s.

The lions for me, provides a blood lust which is a step up above regular competition (the 6 nations being the closest, for me). Everything is equal at the beginning of 3 tests. There is no form, no expectation of finishing with a grand slam or a wooden spoon, of Heineken cup wins or crashing out in the pool stages, just the idea that 15 players from different clubs and countries can come together and do something special.

I would, however, love to see it become something even greater, for a touring combined SANZAR team to provide the opposition. It would balance out these tours somewhat, in that you'd be playing opposition without the structure of the international sides, and letting flair win out for both teams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

almighty1 wrote: »
    I have to say I'm in total agreement with the above.

well then you are also a knob!

MOD NOTE: Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's a different experience, players enjoy it and get well paid which is nice for a change, fans enjoy it.

I mean why would someone have a problem with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

alphamule wrote: »
    well then you are also a knob!
    Post of the day!

patmac wrote: »
    Post of the day!

If only you could see what I said to the mod after he bans me :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

I'll look at the game tomorrow but I couldn't really care less if the Lions win or lose. If it benefits the Irish players then well and good. But I'd find it hard to imagine it would be in their top 5 career aspirations to win a Lions series.

gosplan wrote: »
    It's a different experience, players enjoy it and get well paid which is nice for a change, fans enjoy it.

I mean why would someone have a problem with it?

Exactly, I think it is fascinating to watch some of the best northern hemisphere players playing together.

Ask Ian McGeechan what is the big thing about the Lions and he will kick your ass.

Those tests are easily as physical as any other game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

trouttrout wrote: »
    Second test 2009, that is all

On Sky at the moment. 26 mins gone.

The Irish Grand slam DVD was very funny when O'Gara was saying how he couldn't believe what Paddy Wallace did in the last minute in Cardiff until later in the summer himself.

Poor Luke Fitz and all the bloody injuries since.

alphamule wrote: »
    If only you could see what I said to the mod after he bans me :)

That whole sentence is a damning indictment of the current educational system.

I'll look at the game tomorrow but I couldn't really care less if the Lions win or lose. If it benefits the Irish players then well and good. But I'd find it hard to imagine it would be in their top 5 career aspirations to win a Lions series.

What would be a typical top 5??

Most players agree it is one of the greatest honors extended to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Honestly? Really?

Mods, please close this thread, it's just become a haven for lads talking out their arses.

That whole sentence is a damning indictment of the current educational system.

Haha!

I completely agree! Far too lazy to reword it!

• Advertisement

Honestly? Really?

Mods, please close this thread, it's just become a haven for lads talking out their arses.

Ok well these 3 are certainly ahead so perhaps you should think before talking out of yours.

6 Nations Grand Slam
    Heineken Cup
    World Cup

Advertisement