Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think outside the box for a moment !! WAY OUTSIDE THE BOX !

Options
  • 11-06-2013 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Did u ever think what if all this was just a dream ! As in life , living ., the earth , the universe . Someone's dream that we are all a part of .! Or if in some way we were created by the universe as a way of being self aware . Hit me with your thoughts

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No, Bill Hicks never thought that.

You're so original man.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Sounds like some good weed you've got there, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Bill hicks ? Right I must google him and apologise to him for not knowing that I've copyrighted a question of his I did not know existed !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Pass the dutchie on the left hand side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

This?! on a Tuesday morning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Cod in a landslide.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Damn it! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I remember reading somewhere that had an interesting theory.

When we're about to die, we supposedly see our lives flashing before our eyes. But what if instead of them flashing by, we see them normally. What if we are all currently dying, as in near imminent death and we are reliving our life over again.

That goes hand in hand with the theory of that everything has happened already. That's why we get deja vu occasionally....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

TheComeUp wrote: »

When we're about to die, we supposedly see our lives flashing before our eyes. But what if instead of them flashing by, we see them normally. What if we are all currently dying, as in near imminent death and we are reliving our life over again.

That goes hand in hand with the theory of that everything has happened already. That's why we get deja vu occasionally....

Now this is the response I was looking for . Very interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Are you posting from one of those sensory deprivation chamber thingies ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If it's all a dream then I must be one hell of a boring bastard in the other place.

I've heard a better theory, that when you are close to death your mind cycles through your memories to see if there is a 'way out', if you've experienced something like this before and know a way out.

This doesn't rely on nonsense like past lives or whatever you're talking about (there's also a valid neurological explanation for deja vu BTW)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I've heard a better theory, that when you are close to death your mind cycles through your memories to see if there is a 'way out', if you've experienced something like this before and know a way out.

This doesn't rely on nonsense like past lives or whatever you're talking about (there's also a valid neurological explanation for deja vu BTW)

I never said mine was fact. It's not even mine. Don't shoot the messenger. Hence why it's called a theory. And who's to say it's nonsense when nobody knows different?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Wake and Bake

I never said mine was fact. It's not even mine. Don't shoot the messenger. Hence why it's called a theory. And who's to say it's nonsense when nobody knows different?

I can call anything nonsense that has evidence

What if the box was a sphere

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

As the great Shakespeare once said:

All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players;
    They have their exits and their entrances,
    And one man in his time plays many parts,
    His acts being seven ages. At first, the infant,
    Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
    Then the whining schoolboy, with his satchel
    And shining morning face, creeping like snail
    Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
    Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
    Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,
    Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
    Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
    Seeking the bubble reputation
    Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice,
    In fair round belly with good capon lined,
    With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
    Full of wise saws and modern instances;
    And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
    Into the lean and slippered pantaloon,
    With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
    His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
    For his shrunk shank, and his big manly voice,
    Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
    And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
    That ends this strange eventful history,
    Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
    Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I can call anything nonsense that has evidence

like god?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Thinking inside the box is under-rated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

That's not really that far outside the box man. Really, if you pull back and look from a distance, all you've done is climb outside of the confines of a tiny thought-box nested in a matrioshkan matix of conceptual boxes. Fairly soon you'll realise that for life to be a dream, life would first have to exist in a reasonably similar universe to the one that exists in the dream otherwise most of what you see would not make sense to the dreamer, they'd realise they were dreaming and it would trigger a wake response. And if that's the case then really it doesn't matter whether this is a dream of a self aware universe or reality since either way you have no real control over your life or your death, just what you do in the moments in between. And upon realising that you'll see that we're all just seagulls striving to master flight and appetite. Then you'll probably climb out of that box and realise that it's more likely that the universe is a holographic projection of two base energy states overlapping, that we and everything we feel or see or think is just a fluctuation in the otherwise smooth ripple of a wave. Then you'll realise that there are no boxes. etc etc.

But it doesn't matter, because no matter how deep your thoughts go, you'll still get hungry and eat a ham sandwich. You're a meat machine that feeds on life, man. All you are is meat. Meat and half-arsed guesses about what's really going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What is the universe expanding into?

IM0 wrote: »
    like god?

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Banjo wrote: »
    That's not really that far outside the box man. Really, if you pull back and look from a distance, all you've done is climb outside of the confines of a tiny thought-box nested in a matrioshkan matix of conceptual boxes. Fairly soon you'll realise that for life to be a dream, life would first have to exist in a reasonably similar universe to the one that exists in the dream otherwise most of what you see would not make sense to the dreamer, they'd realise they were dreaming and it would trigger a wake response. And if that's the case then really it doesn't matter whether this is a dream of a self aware universe or reality since either way you have no real control over your life or your death, just what you do in the moments in between. And upon realising that you'll see that we're all just seagulls striving to master flight and appetite. Then you'll probably climb out of that box and realise that it's more likely that the universe is a holographic projection of two base energy states overlapping, that we and everything we feel or see or think is just a fluctuation in the otherwise smooth ripple of a wave. Then you'll realise that there are no boxes. etc etc.

But it doesn't matter, because no matter how deep your thoughts go, you'll still get hungry and eat a ham sandwich. You're a meat machine that feeds on life, man. All you are is meat. Meat and half-arsed guesses about what's really going on.

Yeah...what he said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

"When the seagulls follow the trawler it is because they think
    sardines will be thrown into the sea"

Eric Cantona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

What is the universe expanding into?

Yore Ma.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Terry1985

Colash wrote: »
    Did u ever think what if all this was just a dream ! As in life

Yes, when I'm rowing my boat gently down the stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

There's a theory that we could be living in a complex computer simulation.
    The following paper - http://arxiv.org/pdf/1210.1847v2.pdf - argues that at least one of the following propositions is true:
    (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage;
    (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof);
    (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation.

It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

If everything has happened already wouldn't we get Deja Vu more than occasionally?

Interesting theory btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Apanachi wrote: »
    As the great Shakespeare once said:...

A bit late for the LC English revision, is it not? ;)

Advertisement