Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex TCD student caught importing €29m cocaine, but sure consider his "background"

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

You're highlighting drug abuse and poverty. Not every person who takes drugs is a destitute addict. Drug abuse is a bad thing and ruins people's lives, no doubt, but again, the vast majority of people who use drugs do not become destitute abusers.

Here's the thing. People have taken drugs for tens of thousands of years - it's a very human thing to do. Just because a bunch puritans, and others, decided to make certain drugs illegal a few decades ago will not change that fact. The tide is turning as regards prohibition. Many states in the US are moving to legalise marijuana. When legitimate companies start to make a profit, from once illegal drugs, and get into the lobbying game, begin to watch the dominoes fall.

Huzzah! Heroin, crack and meth for everyone!! \0/

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Junkies, a grand bunch of lads.

That's what you're saying?
    CruelCoin wrote: »
    Huzzah! Heroin, crack and meth for everyone!! \0/

:confused:

Oh I see. I thought you were interested in having a mature discussion.

Silly me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

This whole "good background" defense pisses me off too.

Look at this story from today's news, about a man jailed for rape:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0610/455732-galway-brian-shaughnessy-rape/
    Mr Justice Sheehan accepted that Shaughnessy had actively supported and contributed to the development of his local community both through his involvement with the GAA and his business, and that he was very much involved in the upbringing of his young family.

:rolleyes:

Glad he didn't get off.

But, you know OP, not everyone who goes to TCD is la-de-da. I went there, and I can assure you I'm not from an even halfway wealthy, well-connected background. I got the requisite LC points at my bogstandard local community school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

The good background is a defense that used to indicate that there's a small likely hood that this guy would re-offend. He's educated, no previous convictions and accepted his punishment by pleading guilty.

Common sense would indicate that this guy won't be a treat to society when he gets out. He's not a career criminal and has enough resourses to get a real job when he gets out.

It's a major crime he committed, he knew the risks but I still reckon its a fair sentence. If he had previous convictions and who had a drug ring and it likely to continue to run his drug ring in prison, I'd say lock lock him up for 25 years. But 15 years seems an ok punishment given his history and nature.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

GiftofGab wrote: »
    The good background is a defense that used to indicate that there's a small likely hood that this guy would re-offend. He's educated, no previous convictions and accepted his punishment by pleading guilty.

Common sense would indicate that this guy won't be a treat to society when he gets out. He's not a career criminal and has enough resourses to get a real job when he gets out.

It's a major crime he committed, he knew the risks but I still reckon its a fair sentence. If he had previous convictions and who had a drug ring and it likely to continue to run his drug ring in prison, I'd say lock lock him up for 25 years. But 15 years seems an ok punishment given his history and nature.

So someone who imports 29 million euro worth of cocaine is not a career criminal ? I can only imagine what a real career criminal would do.

Also the fact that he had no previous convictions means nothing just that he was clever enough not to get caught, their is no way anyone would suddenly start dealing 10s of millions worth of drugs and have never broken the law before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement