Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex TCD student caught importing €29m cocaine, but sure consider his "background"

Options
  • 10-06-2013 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Here's the link:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/trinity-graduate-jailed-for-15-years-over-29m-cocaine-haul-29333358.html

Why is it that when people with certain "backgrounds" are caught breaking the law their solicitors are allowed to claim they should be treated differently, in the case above they said this guy could "again be a worthwhile member of the community".

We're not supposed to live in a class-based society so why are solicitors allowed to harp on about this drug dealers "background". Where someone comes from, or whether they went to college (even TCD) does not tell you anything about their character.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's your solicitor's job to try and get you off, that's what you pay him for.
    He got sent down, what's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Solicitors or barristers can say what they like (within reason).

Doesn't mean the court has to pay any heed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭ninjabox

Just the general attitude that people from their own background, i.e. the same background as the solicitors etc deserve to get special treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

It's your solicitor's job to try and get you off, that's what you pay him for.
    He got sent down, what's the problem.

The Irish laws is the problem
    15 years for that but can murder someone and get 8 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Lower class scumbags play the background card just as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

ninjabox wrote: »
    Why is it that when people with certain "backgrounds" are caught breaking the law their solicitors are allowed to claim they should be treated differently, in the case above they said this guy could "again be a worthwhile member of the community". We're not supposed to live in a class-based society so why are solicitors allowed to harp on about this drug dealers "background".
    Because their job is to represent the accused and to try and get them as small a sentence as possible.

It's the judges job to decide if those arguments are valid, and it's with the judge we expect the classless justice system to be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I hereby call for all Trinity alumni and students to be sterilised. It's the only way we can be sure these vermin don't spawn any potential Trinity students.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

He got a tougher sentence than 3 scummers who kicked a man to death. Drugs eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Just the general attitude that people from their own background, i.e. the same background as the solicitors etc deserve to get special treatment.

If the defendant was from a different area then the solicitor would talk about his bad childhood, early exit from education, violent death of his brother etc as mitigation.

So its not a Foxrock conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pawspaws

Nah bud, the mandatory sentence for murder is life, best you can hope for is supervised temporary release after 17 years.

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    He got a tougher sentence than 3 scummers who kicked a man to death. Drugs eh?

It's funny isn't it. Seems a dead or raped person, in the eyes of the Irish legal system, is worth about the same as 5m of cocaine.

Funny old world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

He got 15 years with two suspended for his background. Or did I read that wrong. Hardly a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I hereby call for all Trinity alumni and students to be sterilised. It's the only way we can be sure these vermin don't spawn any potential Trinity students.

Thats UL and Trinity taken care of so..

*Waits with pitchfork for next University student to slip up..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Smuggling €29 million worth of cocaine is hardly a minor crime. There's lots of misery associated with it, including in its production and distribution.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Kill someone, one family's lives ruined.

Deal drugs, many families lives ruined.

Perspective dear Watson.

CruelCoin wrote: »

Perspective dear Watson.

You could say the same for a few kegs of beer coming in. Hell, a batch of deodorant could kill or harm more people than this cocaine - if we're going to use your analogy.

Are we unable to judge the merits of a crime on the crime itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

What is the fuss about? He got 15 years, 2 of which were suspended. Hardly got off lightly!

Perspective dear Watson.

Not very good perspective.

To what extent would the families be ruined if someone was murdered?

Also, one family ruined if you kill someone? I'd say a lot of people would be ruined if someone close to them was murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    You could say the same for a few kegs of beer coming in. Hell, a batch of deodorant could kill or harm more people than this cocaine - if we're going to use your analogy.

Are we unable to judge the merits of a crime on the crime itself?

Crime should be punished based on it's overall effect on society.

Not sure the last time i heard of a batch of killer deodorant, yet i hear about cocaine overdoses all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Get upset when TCD give him an honorary doctorate for services to chemistry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

We're not supposed to live in a class-based society so why are solicitors allowed to harp on about this drug dealers "background". Where someone comes from, or whether they went to college (even TCD) does not tell you anything about their character.

Says who? Someone's social background has a massive influence on the type of crime they commit and the physical danger to society they might represent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭ninjabox

Yea but its just the general attitude that family / educational background automatically makes you a better human being. No matter what horrible crimes a person commits they were automatically a better person from the start because of their background.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Smuggling €29 million worth of cocaine is hardly a minor crime. There's lots of misery partying associated with it, including in its production and distribution.

Fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Perspective dear Watson.

People want drugs. People enjoy taking drugs. Nobody wants to be killed.

Perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Why is it that when people with certain "backgrounds" are caught breaking the law their solicitors are allowed to claim they should be treated differently, in the case above they said this guy could "again be a worthwhile member of the community".
    That's a feature of most criminal cases.

It is not unusual for the Court to compensate a criminal for the strange vicissitudes of life. Suspects' backgrounds are often taken into account when a sentence is being determined, and special concessions are given for deprivation and mitigating circumstances.

In this case, it seems only logical the opposite of a concession should be handed down on the point of the guy's education, i.e. a harsher penalty would take account of the fact that he had profitable alternatives to crime, as opposed to your average drug mule.

However, you also have to balance that this guy is clearly of good character, has worked hard to get where he is in life,and may have had a short term lapse of judgement.
    Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Reminds me of when a TCD girl from a well-off background glassed a bartender and assaulted him and got away with a small fine
    It seems he's not from a well off background. People are just drawing that assumption because he went to Trinity. He is from Cabra, and worked his way through college.
    He said Hopkins had grown up in Cabra and he and his sisters had worked their way through college and excelled. One of his sisters died tragically in 2012.

Mr Marrinan said Hopkins had an interest in sport and had made a large number of substantial donations to charity between 2008 and 2011, as well as providing financial assistance to people he knew.

He said Hopkins works as a trustee in the gym in Cloverhill, has taken up music lessons and hopes to do a PhD while in custody. He has also become heavily involved in the prison waste management system in Cloverhill and was giving advice to improve recycling and reduce costs.

Good luck to him, hope he gets his PhD and is able to move on with building a future when he gets out.

Good luck to him, hope he gets his PhD and is able to move on with building a future when he gets out.

You can get a PhD in prison??! I'd never be motivated to get a PhD if I was free, take me to Mountjoy I say!

But then again there is the whole soap thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

TBF if he was from a poor background and never went to 3rd level education his lawyers would try and get him less time due to his lack of education.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Lower class scumbags play the background card just as much.

Bingo, the "ah sure they never stood a chance" brigade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 y0pperz

What concerns me more about this case is the lack of further prosecutions and this:
    In later interviews he told gardai he had been “under duress” but later said he had been under financial pressure and general stress rather than physical duress from a third party.

The "third party" are usually violent murdering psychopaths in these cases, I know if I lost €30 million worth of someone's cocaine I'd be more worried about the other consequences than a lengthy prison sentence.

Advertisement