Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Munster Player banned for cannabis use

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Fair enough with the ban but I don't see why his name would be published. Rugby isn't his livelihood.

Anyone find it strange that this is reported now, after the ban was served?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

phog wrote: »
    Wouldn't be too happy that he was named but there my sympathy ends fir him.

Even as an amateur he must have been aware that he was taking a banned substance. The IRFU had no option but to ban him once he was found to have used cannabis.

My thoughts precisely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

The illegal substance list includes caffeine levels being too high so the taking of caffeine tablets is prohibited which a whole lot of players take before games, lemsip is prohibited! The list itself is a joke

OMG that's outrageous. It's not true of course, caffeine is not on the banned list at all, but I'm still outraged.

As for the guy being named, it's very harsh given that he's just an amateur, but them's the rules. We either apply them or we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

stephen_n wrote: »
    clearly no one in Wada has ever tried to play sport stoned if they think it's performance enhancing :pac::pac:

so true, its like a generation thing - OMG he was on drugs !! - i remember playing the day after smoking , and I was wretched - also weed stays in your system for a couple of weeks - completly different to steroid
    abuse , used to enhance performance - also he was an amateur , probably having a few tokes at the weekend - big deal . Anyway , wish him well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

As others have said, it's pretty horrible that he was named. Can't imagine there is any requirement to do this so pretty shameful from the IRFU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

MBolgia wrote: »
    Tear up the list, let them take everything and anything they want, give Lance Armstrong his titles back

OR

Try to ensure that no athlete harms themselves in any way in their quest for success.

If you want to prevent athletes harming themselves in their quest for success, then you'll have to ban rugby.

AngeGal wrote: »
    As others have said, it's pretty horrible that he was named. Can't imagine there is any requirement to do this so pretty shameful from the IRFU.

It's not IRFU policy, it's the Irish Sports Council rules.

If IRFU turned around and said that they weren't enforcing the WADA list and were ignoring the Irish Sports Council rules, how would that look?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's not IRFU policy, it's the Irish Sports Council rules.

If IRFU turned around and said that they weren't enforcing the WADA list and were ignoring the Irish Sports Council rules, how would that look?

He said its shameful that they announced his name. And that was the IRFU's decision.

He said its shameful that they announced his name. And that was the IRFU's decision.

But under Sports Council rules, they had to make it public. I don't agree with it but you either enforce the rules or you don't.

http://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/Media/Latest_News/2013/Anti_Doping_Violation_Issued_on_behalf_of_the_IRFU_and_ISC.html
    The hearing was held under Article 8 (Disciplinary Process) of the Irish Anti-Doping Rules and this announcement is made pursuant to Article 15 (Public Disclosure of the Rules).

In fairness, it's hardly generated a media frenzy either, the only place I've seen it reported is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

When I read the thread title I was about to close the thread, but now I've seen the IRFU have named the player? Considering it's an illegal substance outside of the sport I think that's very poor form. Surely a judgement call should've been made regarding publicly naming him.

I'd be onto my solicitor if it was me, regardless of how in the wrong I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

trouttrout wrote: »
    tbh, I didn't really consider that point. But even still, I think it's a harsh and lengthy ban especially considering it's an amateur player. Surely common sense should have prevailed here

Common sense is that the player tested positive for a drug that, Wada aside, is an illegal substance. What kind of message would it send out if the IRFU did nothing after finding out he had been breaking the law? They have more to think about than the Wada rules and regulations. The name of the sport is also a consideration. See below for a link where a player was suspended for bringing the game into disrepute even though he hadn't broken any doping rules. Fair enough it was "only" cannibus in this instance, but that's "only" illegal itself.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/international/2830165.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭seanm92

OMG that's outrageous. It's not true of course, caffeine is not on the banned list at all, but I'm still outraged.

As for the guy being named, it's very harsh given that he's just an amateur, but them's the rules. We either apply them or we don't.

Caffeine itself is not banned, but if caffeine is found in a blood/urine test above a certain concentration then that athlete may be banned. Not really outrageous at all caffeine has definite performance enhancing properties in sports, however the limit is massive, I think you'd have to drink something like 10 or 12 cups to be over the limit. So I can see why players would be discouraged from taking caffeine pills pre match

seanm92 wrote: »
    Caffeine itself is not banned, but if caffeine is found in a blood/urine test above a certain concentration then that athlete may be banned. Not really outrageous at all caffeine has definite performance enhancing properties in sports, however the limit is massive, I think you'd have to drink something like 10 or 12 cups to be over the limit. So I can see why players would be discouraged from taking caffeine pills pre match

I was only joking about being outraged, but athletes can take as much caffeine as they like:

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/World-Anti-Doping-Program/Sports-and-Anti-Doping-Organizations/International-Standards/Prohibited-List/QA-on-2012-Prohibited-List
    Caffeine was removed from the Prohibited List in 2004. Its use in sport is not prohibited.

Caffeine is part of WADA's Monitoring Program. This program includes substances which are not prohibited in sport, but which WADA monitors in order to detect patterns of misuse in sport.

The 2010 and 2011 Monitoring Programs did not reveal global specific patterns of misuse of caffeine in sport, though a significant increase in consumption in the athletic population is observed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 windmill39

I guess I would be permanently over the limit for caffeine as I drink loads of coffee. As for the legality of cannabis it depends on where he was when he consumed it. A coffee shop in Amsterdam while on a stag , like I was recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kgarvey

Grimebox wrote: »
    I don't know... time slowing down could be a huge advantage

Very good..... It would help him think he is much faster than everyone else.

Advertisement