Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Munster Player banned for cannabis use

Options
  • 10-06-2013 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

I think this is an absolute joke. An amateur player getting banned for three months for smoking a joint or two

Considering the IRFU takes most of its ad money from drink sponsors (something I have no problem with btw), it seems grossly hypocritical that they're taking such a hard line toward an part-time player testing positive for a substance arguably less harmful than alcohol

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/young-munster-player-serves-three-month-doping-ban-1.1423409?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
    The IRFU and the Irish Sports Council confirmed that a Young Munster rugby player has served a three-month ban after testing positive for taking cannabis.

Secondrow John Moroney was tested following the All-Ireland Division One league game against Old Belvedere at Anglesea Road on February 2nd.

Today’statement read: “The Irish Rugby Football Union and the Irish Sports Council jointly announce that the Irish Sport Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel determined that player John Moroney has committed an anti-doping rule violation.

“John Moroney, an amateur rugby player with Young Munster Rugby Football Club has served a ban of 3 months, as he was found to have taken cannabis.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I doubt its about harm of the substance more about legality of the substance

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Well the last time I checked cannabis is illegal...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Cannibas probably gave him an unfair advantage. You could stomp on his ears and he'd hardly notice.
    For the sake of fair play though, anyone who has a drink should also be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

trouttrout wrote: »
    I think this is an absolute joke. An amateur player getting banned for three months for smoking a joint or two

Considering the IRFU takes most of its ad money from drink sponsors (something I have no problem with btw), it seems grossly hypocritical that they're taking such a hard line toward an part-time player testing positive for a substance arguably less harmful than alcohol

It's a banned substance under WADA rules and that's the fact of it. He was competing in an IRFU-controlled tournament and must have known he was subject to testing. A three-month ban is hardly excessive either.

Alcohol has nothing to do with it.

[BTW, I don't agree that cannabis should be on the banned list, it's hardly a performance enhancer, but still...]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

I doubt its about harm of the substance more about legality of the substance
    Well the last time I checked cannabis is illegal...

tbh, I didn't really consider that point. But even still, I think it's a harsh and lengthy ban especially considering it's an amateur player. Surely common sense should have prevailed here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

This Prohibited List is why it is not hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Just legalise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

clearly no one in Wada has ever tried to play sport stoned if they think it's performance enhancing :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I remember talking to a smoker who then played AIL about this. Swore by 3 days of cranberry juice to clean out the system, it then being a urine test.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

Bit harsh naming and shaming him, Fair enough if it was a pro game but this could get you fired from your job...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

stephen_n wrote: »
    clearly no one in Wada has ever tried to play sport stoned if they think it's performance enhancing :pac::pac:

"I was gonna play rug-by but then I got high"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Cannibas probably gave him an unfair advantage. You could stomp on his ears and he'd hardly notice.
    The game was up when he started chewing the cauliflower ears off his own prop.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

The illegal substance list includes caffeine levels being too high so the taking of caffeine tablets is prohibited which a whole lot of players take before games, lemsip is prohibited! The list itself is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

stephen_n wrote: »

I don't know... time slowing down could be a huge advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

The illegal substance list includes caffeine levels being too high so the taking of caffeine tablets is prohibited which a whole lot of players take before games, lemsip is prohibited! The list itself is a joke

This is slightly off the actual topic, but:

"Lemsip" is not prohibited. Pseudoepehdrine is prohibited, which is found in some (but not all) of the varieties of Lemsip.

If you are a player playing at a level where you might be subject to test, do not buy any over the counter cough/cold/flu remedies without checking with the pharmacist if it contains anything that might land you in trouble. You are responsible for what you put in your body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭seanm92

In fairness, its the ingredients of lemsip that are the problem, so saying that it being on the list is a joke shows a lack of undrstanding, the main reason lemsip is banned is because it contains phenylephrine, which is used to raise blood pressure, which is adantageous in power sports, although the quantities contained in lemsip are probably too small to give a real advantage, it would cause grey areas as to how much should be allowed, so I can see why it should be banned. As they poster above mentioned, it also contains pseudoephedrine which is also banned.

Everything on that list is there for good reason, some of the stuff might seem a bit ridiculous, but besides actual PEDs themselves, there are products containing diuretics, masking agents etc. which help avoid detection.

The players know what they're signing up for by playing rugby at that level, while he is not gaining any advantage, he is still breaking the rules, you couldnt really not have something on the banned list if it was illegal in that country.

I'm surprised that anyone was caught TBH, the testing standards in this country, and rugby in general are farcical, I remember reading somewhere that something like 16 blood tests were carried out in Irish rugby last year

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MBolgia

Tear up the list, let them take everything and anything they want, give Lance Armstrong his titles back

OR

Try to ensure that no athlete harms themselves in any way in their quest for success.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

MBolgia wrote: »
    Tear up the list, let them take everything and anything they want, give Lance Armstrong his titles back

OR

Try to ensure that no athlete harms themselves in any way in their quest for success.

I agree with the prohibition of PEDs obviously but some of them are ridiculous, some of them would have no affect on a players performance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

MBolgia wrote: »

OR

i hardly think he's harming himself smoking weed in a quest for anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

MrDerp wrote: »
    I remember talking to a smoker who then played AIL about this. Swore by 3 days of cranberry juice to clean out the system, it then being a urine test.

I'm not sure that works for everyone, Know a man who drank it for a month and still failed a test. I'm not saying that to disagree with you either.
    phily2002 wrote: »
    Bit harsh naming and shaming him, Fair enough if it was a pro game but this could get you fired from your job...

It seems to be fairly spiteful, A case of naughty boy now your in trouble, Lets name and shame you because you smoked an evil drug..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

I think we can all agree on one thing, free the green mannnnnn

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭PaurGasm

it seems grossly hypocritical that they're taking such a hard line toward an part-time player testing positive for a substance arguably less harmful than alcohol

There, I fixed it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Illegal and banned substance, thems the rules. The player should have been well aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

The IRFU have to follow whats on the WADA list and illegal drugs are on it. Its not really up to the IRFU. There are guys in the acadamys playing in the AIL you can't have them playing in a league that banned drugs aren't tested for. The IRFU aren't trying to be mean here.

Micheal Phelps got a 3 month ban for cannabis a few years ago so the player is in good company. It possibly would have been a longer ban had it been a performance enhancing drug.

The government are looking at alcohol sponsorship in sport. I heard that by 2020 alcohol sponsorship in sport will be ended (or maybe thats what they are aiming for).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think the harshest punishment of all is being named in a national newspaper for testing positive from cannabis use.

Aside from any potential stigma that might be attached to drug use (personally I couldn't care, but some people would), as an amateur it can't do his career prospects much good if he's working in a large business, where any recreational drug use can be grounds for dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 caliwali

The issue could be the exact opposite of being performance enhancing. If someone played while high they are putting themselves at risk of getting hurt. Also it's illegal so he can't really be let off. Still no need to name him in the media though. That'd definitely hurt more than the ban.

Does anyone know if he can be prosecuted for using drugs now? Just out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

He was hardly running onto the pitch stoned?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

Dope

• Registered Users Posts: 20 caliwali

Quint2010 wrote: »
    He was hardly running onto the pitch stoned?

Well no I presume not, but you don't want to create a situation where that is allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,790 ✭✭✭✭phog

Wouldn't be too happy that he was named but there my sympathy ends fir him.

Even as an amateur he must have been aware that he was taking a banned substance. The IRFU had no option but to ban him once he was found to have used cannabis.

Advertisement