Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Did he?? If so that's insane.

He may be over egging the cake in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

david75 wrote: »
    Did he?? If so that's insane.

Hmm, I remember reading that, but now I can't pin down a source.

Wiki says 274 days principal photography for LoTR vs 266 for The Hobbit, and that doesn't seem to account for extra shooting like pickups or for the number of units working per day...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hmm, I remember reading that, but now I can't pin down a source.

Wiki says 274 days principal photography for LoTR vs 266 for The Hobbit, and that doesn't seem to account for extra shooting like pickups or for the number of units working per day...

He probably weighed twice as much back then as well though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

krudler wrote: »
    He probably weighed twice as much back then as well though

He looks like he's after putting a fair bit back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I assume the vast amount of CGI work is to keep prying eyes away?
    (ie: fewer extras needed).

It would also count for the lack our outside sets being used compared to LOTR.

Anyone know when the next video diary is out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I don't really see the point in that. Not like it's an original story ideas that they want to keep unspoiled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It would also count for the lack our outside sets being used compared to LOTR.

Yeah, the danger of a public invasion is being cited as one of the main reasons for retreating into soundstages. It's not a fully credible explanation - the Dark Knight Rises managed to shoot in a major city with only a few leaked photos filtering through - but some Tolkien fans are a very unique kind of obsessive. It's a shame, even if a semi-understandable one - the combination of all schools of SFX and actual location work in LOTR is still a rather remarkable thing to witness (especially since so many scenes were filmed in suburban parks), and a pivotal element in its overall effectiveness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Even longer and more boring than the coma inducing LOTR. How do people watch this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jhon_Alan

I am eagerly waiting for it..after watching the trailer !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hope the brown wizard is in this one he was great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

That shot in the trailer of Bilbo in the meadow or whatever sealed it for me. Based on the turgid first instalment, that part will probably last about 20 minutes. I'll pass, thanks all the same.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Last I heard there was uproar because they'd split one book into two movies with some padding that's not part of the actual story & today I heard that there's a third movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

There is already a thread/discussion on this if you just look but The Hobbit Trilogy is The Hobbit book with appendicies from The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings so more than enough for 3 films.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Hobbit is a small little story and suitable for one film. Peter Jackson is just milking it for the money, adding in new characters and dragging scenes on for way too long. The Tolkien family wants nothing to do with the LOTR & Hobbit films and i don't blame them.

The Hobbit is a small little story and suitable for one film.

If you filmed everything that's in the book, you could easily get 2 two hour moves from it. The BBC did a straight 4 hour radio version in the 60s.

If you do a mild Jackson on it, adding long helicopter shots of landscape-trudging, rock-climbing, tunnel-walking, scree-sliding, eagle-riding, tree-climbing, barrel-riding, boating, pony-riding, mountain-climbing, hill-of-gold-scrambling and a giant orc-slaughtering battle at the end, you could easily get 3 two hour movies out of it.

And that's without adding bunny-sled riding clowns, elf romances, Great White Orcs, or Disneyworld Goblin City rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

If you filmed everything that's in the book, you could easily get 2 two hour moves from it. The BBC did a straight 4 hour radio version in the 60s.

If you do a mild Jackson on it, adding long helicopter shots of landscape-trudging, rock-climbing, tunnel-walking, scree-sliding, eagle-riding, tree-climbing, barrel-riding, boating, pony-riding, mountain-climbing, hill-of-gold-scrambling and a giant orc-slaughtering battle at the end, you could easily get 3 two hour movies out of it.

And that's without adding bunny-sled riding clowns, elf romances, Great White Orcs, or Disneyworld Goblin City rides.

You forgot the singing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

It should just be called The Hobbit: Greenscreen at this stage.

I'm quite excited.

I enjoyed the Hobbit, even if it wasn't what you'd call a 100% faithful recreation.

Wow. Just from one viewing it looks like Jackson has gone crazy with the changes.

• Advertisement

Wow. Just from one viewing it looks like Jackson has gone crazy with the changes.

So there's some lovey-dovey stuff with Legolas and Tauriel which wasn't in the books (but Legolas was theoretically there at least, just not mentioned, given that he's Thranduil's son) and there's the orcs again but that's just the same invention from the last film. Can't see too much else

Other than that you see them escaping in barrells, Bilbo confronting Smaug, Gandalf in Dol Guldur, Beorn, the spiders, Smaug attacking Laketown. Ticks all the boxes there.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    Tolkien The Silmarillion Movie Coming - MoviesOnline - http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_11758.html
    As the saying goes '"Never" is the word God listens out for whenever he needs a laugh'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Awesome! I was just going to post today that there should be a Silmarillion movie, at the time I preferred the book over LOTR and the Hobbit. Hey you could even make a tv series out of the Unfinished Tales.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sure it's green screen heavy but I think it looks great. First one was a dissappointment (trialers looked great for that too of course) but since the plot should actually advance a bit in the next two I'm expecting more complete films. Personally the main thing I'm looking forward to is
    Bard shooting Smaug our of the sky
    Re-read the book in the summer for the first time since I was a teenager, and that's easily my favourite passage in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

didn't really like that trailer, who ever cared about the elves

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    Tolkien The Silmarillion Movie Coming - MoviesOnline - http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_11758.html
    As the saying goes '"Never" is the word God listens out for whenever he needs a laugh'

I remember a few years ago the Tolkien estate issues a statement that they would never release the rights of the Silmarillion?

It would make an epic, epic movie... but it'd need to be looked at as an entirely different style of movie, it wouldn't be a family-summer-mega-movie, but much darker, historic, GOT style thing.

.ak wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago the Tolkien estate issues a statement that they would never release the rights of the Silmarillion?

It would make an epic, epic movie...

First, the link above to a Silmarillion rumour is a joke: it just say "We heard a rumour that the Silmarillion movie is in talks". Christopher Tolkien hates the LotR movies, and has said, basically, over my dead body will anyone film the Silmarillion.

Second, if you did have the rights, there are umpteen stories in there you could film, and some of them would be perfect Jackson summer blockbusters.

As far as I'm aware the Tolkien estate are dead set against any further films so Silmarillioj won't get made. And it is completely totally unfilmable as a whole. As the other poster said, there are some stories in there that would make great movies but the whole?
    No way.

Children of Hurin/the story of Turin Turambar, that would be a class film. Or trilogy haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

As far as I'm aware the Tolkien estate are dead set against any further films so Silmarillioj won't get made. And it is completely totally unfilmable as a whole. As the other poster said, there are some stories in there that would make great movies but the whole?
    No way.

Children of Hurin/the story of Turin Turambar, that would be a class film. Or trilogy haha

They said the same thing about LotR being unfilmable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Yeah, but that's the thing about adaptations. You don't need to include all that ****e. The hobbit could have easily been one film.

Advertisement