Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Looking forward to this trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

New trailer on facebook, will try get a youtube link and embed soon!

Enjoy:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10102354395589186&set=vb.160617097307237&type=2&theater

Edit: Youtube.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is that Mt. Aspiring they're using for the Lonely Mountain?

I liked the trailer, but I'm keeping my expectations for this one in check after the first one ended up being fairly mediocre. Didn't think Smaug looked very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Ah very excited to see a new trailer even though The Hobbit fell short for me!

We were dying to see a sneak of Smaug but agree he doesn't look great, hoping it's just the shot as ideally I want him to be as carefully crafted as Gollum in terms of detail! After the fake looking rabbits and hedgehogs I'm hoping they've spent a little extra time getting the second movie in tip top shape.

Can't help but be excited about this just really hope the reception of the first one made them ensure a much stronger second and third movie

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Didn't think Smaug looked very good though.

He looks quite the happy childrens dragon rather than evil killer of everything in the trailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Too much Legolas in the trailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Ah very excited to see a new trailer even though The Hobbit fell short for me!

We were dying to see a sneak of Smaug but agree he doesn't look great, hoping it's just the shot as ideally I want him to be as carefully crafted as Gollum in terms of detail! After the fake looking rabbits and hedgehogs I'm hoping they've spent a little extra time getting the second movie in tip top shape.

Can't help but be excited about this just really hope the reception of the first one made them ensure a much stronger second and third movie

bah-dum-tsh!

Looks ok, more of the same really, I'll catch it in 48fps again as it much improved the blurryness of some scenes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Unfortunately at this stage, principal photography long since concluded (barring whatever extra stuff they need for film three), there will be very little they'll be able to do to improve upon the foundations. They're not going to be able to suddenly dial back the overload of CGI - if anything, that new trailer suggests it's going to be even more fantastical and OTT. They're not going to be able to fundamentally fix the broken or unsuitable technology they decided to produce this with. They may, to some degree, be able to edit together a tighter, less rambling tale - although given Jackson's tendencies thus far, that seems unlikely.

That said, there will hopefully be more solid material from the books to work on, including a few pivotal setpieces. That said, having felt the first was perilously close to a complete disaster, there's no doubt I'll be approaching Desolation with extremely lowered expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

GET A LOAD OF THRANDUILS LUSCIOUS EYEBROWS!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

We're in to Star Wars prequels levels of green screen and very obvious CGI here by the looks. The whole thing just looks... off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

What's Legolas doing there ?

Even in the appendices does he appear ?

the_monkey wrote: »

Not to my recollection, I think the lure of being in his hometurf and him being immortal was too much of a lure for Peter Jackson, same with Galadriel!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

My biggest issue with the first one was the overwhelming amount of green screen and CGI. Jackson appears to have gone even one step further here judging by the trailer. Smaug, in particular, looks incredibly poor. But I can forgive CGI dragons. What I cannot forgive is CGI orks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think he's Thranduil's son so he was probably there, just not named in the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Smaug looks atrocious - more realism in 80's kid's TV! - hope there's still a lot of cgi work to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

No, but he was certainly alive at the time. I'm guessing that he and Tauriel are involved in the White Council sub-plot dealing with the necromancer. This is only a bare outline in the Hobbit/LotR books, so Jackson & Co. can make up any old nonsense they like.

So, expect action to cut to from dull bits of the A-story, or on the evidence of the LotR movies, distracting action to cut to from action sequences in the A-story for no obvious reason, a girl and a romance, because girls won't watch movies without girl characters with on-screen romance, a character "journey" for Gandalf, because three-thousand year old men must develop during the 3 hours of screen time, a bunch of nods to the LotR movies and all the other stuff that this film needs according to the Screenwriters Big Book of Movie Clichés.

No, but he was certainly alive at the time. I'm guessing that he and Tauriel are involved in the White Council sub-plot dealing with the necromancer. This is only a bare outline in the Hobbit/LotR books, so Jackson & Co. can make up any old nonsense they like.

So, expect action to cut to from dull bits of the A-story, or on the evidence of the LotR movies, distracting action to cut to from action sequences in the A-story for no obvious reason, a girl and a romance, because girls won't watch movies without girl characters with on-screen romance, a character "journey" for Gandalf, because three-thousand year old men must develop during the 3 hours of screen time, a bunch of nods to the LotR movies and all the other stuff that this film needs according to the Screenwriters Big Book of Movie Clichés.

Hey hey now I'm a girl and I don't want any silly romance sub-plots unless they were intended to be there and are genuine, if it turns into The Notebook or something I'll shoot myself:D

Hey hey now I'm a girl and I don't want any silly romance sub-plots unless they were intended to be there and are genuine, if it turns into The Notebook or something I'll shoot myself

Ah, but Jackson & Company know better than us, and Tolkien, how to tell a story. That's why Thorin has to be a young hunk instead of a 200 year old dwarf. Audiences wouldn't relate to some old duffer with a long grey beard.

[What about Gandalf? Shut up, you!]

Ah, but Jackson & Company know better than us, and Tolkien, how to tell a story. That's why Thorin has to be a young hunk instead of a 200 year old dwarf. Audiences wouldn't relate to some old duffer with a long grey beard.

[What about Gandalf? Shut up, you!]

That stuff actually annoys me and the way some of the dwarves don't look like dwarves at all, Gandalf is by far the coolest dude in the movies and he's rocking the beard and staff look:pac:

Gandalf is by far the coolest dude in the movies

And also one of the closest to his portayal in the books.

Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I think some of this is a little harsh. Gandalf does leave the dwarves in the book for a separate journey, and the Elves that live in the north of the great greenwood change the name to mirkwood because something evil slowly has moved into the south of the wood and they're having to defend their borders.

It's not like they're making this up. It will be exaggerated clearly and I agree the look and particularly the casting of the dwarves was a disaster to the last one.

But Tolkien himself was aware radical changes and omissions would be necessary if these films were ever to be made.

At least they aren't ferrying the company everywhere in eagles, like in one treatment he read and was horrified by.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

That stuff actually annoys me and the way some of the dwarves don't look like dwarves at all, Gandalf is by far the coolest dude in the movies and he's rocking the beard and staff look:pac:

Eh....what do dwarves look like? Do they all have to be gnarled, stocky, peasanty types that look about 50? Must suck for the dwarfish women.

jpm4 wrote: »
    Eh....what do dwarves look like? Do they all have to be gnarled, stocky, peasanty types that look about 50? Must suck for the dwarfish women.

Fili, Kili and Thorin don't even seem to be the same species as the others, they look more like men than they look like Gloin or Gimli.

And the Dwarvish women look just like the men, apparently. It's the beards.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Fili, Kili and Thorin don't even seem to be the same species as the others, they look more like men than they look like Gloin or Gimli.

They got the makeup pretty spot on with Gimli, it looks far too fake in The Hobbit though, huge noses and ridiculous beards, everyones beard looks fake whereas John Rhys-Davies' one looked real for the most part, even the brief shot of the other dwarves in the opening sequence of Fellowship looked better than the ones in The Hobbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Cue me whinging that Smaug looks like the Allosaurus from Dinosaur Revolution.

Dinotasia-allosaurus.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

They all look like men - those 3 clearly have less prosthetics/makeup applied or whatever. It's silly nitpicking to be complaining about this - one thing Jackson got right was giving the dwarves each a distinct look and feel. In the book each one had a red/green/blue beard or something and that was about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Tusky wrote: »
    My biggest issue with the first one was the overwhelming amount of green screen and CGI. Jackson appears to have gone even one step further here judging by the trailer. Smaug, in particular, looks incredibly poor. But I can forgive CGI dragons. What I cannot forgive is CGI orks.

I agree with this, CGI dragons ? Fine. CGI Orcs just comes across as lazy especially given how awesome the real Orcs were in LOTR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I'd bet my house on the fact that they wanted to keep the dwarves as prosthetic free as possible in order to limit the huge amount of time they spent I the make up chair, after John Rhys Davies daily 5 hour stint(was it more?) in the make up chair and worse, him being allergic to the prosthetics and chemicals used on his skin and around his eyes. That poor guy went through a few years of hell with that. Id say that's the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Also, remember that filming the first three nearly killed Jackson. I can easily understand why he wouldn't want to go through all that strain again if he didn't have to.

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    Also, remember that filming the first three nearly killed Jackson. I can easily understand why he wouldn't want to go through all that strain again if he didn't have to.

But he shot more on more days for the Hobbit than he did for LotR!

Advertisement