Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The naming of 'dummy' teams

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Dunne comes across as an awfull twat tbh, and he's comments about Lee Chin were a disgrace and Im sure the football people in Wexford wont let it go either.

What did he say about Lee Chin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Not sure about the rule Mountain tbh and I would agree about lads that might be trying to shake off an injury etc. but come on Dunne was clearly taking the piss on Saturday and really tbh has made a bit of a tit of himself.

Yeah I guess so. Dunno what to make of his comments, the most baffling part of it to me was where he was calling for Croke Park, and then added "Then again if they do put it on in Croke Park and we go up there and get hammered I’ll probably be sorry I said that".

That thought shouldn't be entering his head, never mind be attributed to him as a quote in the national media for all his players to read.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

What did he say about Lee Chin?

that he should concentrate on being a top class hurler instead of an average footballer.

whilst I myself think Chin is a better hurler, its not Dunnes place to go around saying things like that about the lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Not sure about the rule Mountain tbh and I would agree about lads that might be trying to shake off an injury etc. but come on Dunne was clearly taking the piss on Saturday and really tbh has made a bit of a tit of himself.

Dunne was taking the piss and its a joke to be honest but in fairness he is not doing anything that Counihan has not been doing with the Cork Footballers for years.And it is clear as day,Cork have not got any extra advantage from it the last few years.

It annoys a lot of Cork fans,more so when he has not in the past reacted on the field to players being outplayed ,and has not made the correct changes during a game and Cork have lost crucial games as a result.
    Yet he seems to think by naming a Dummy team,is shrewd tactics.

Also the fact he has been doing it now for so long,people have a fair idea who will actually start come throw in.Yet he still contuines it.What really pissed me off though,was the fact he named Cadogan to start against Limerick.
    Everyone knew he was injured,so why name him.

Yes Dunne has taken it to another level,and the GAA should do something about it.

It is a load of nonense,thinking you can gain huge advantages by naming dummy teams.

Mick O Dwyer, Liam Sheedy ,Brian Cody,Donal Og Grady,never had to do it. John Allen and credit due to him, picked the same team yesterday,and it did not stop them winning.

I do not mind the odd one or two changes on occassion especially due to injuries or sickness, but making 4 changes or more on the team before throw in is taking it a bit too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

bruschi wrote: »
    that he should concentrate on being a top class hurler instead of an average footballer.

whilst I myself think Chin is a better hurler, its not Dunnes place to go around saying things like that about the lad.

An average footballer with an average team he said aswell, which is laughable considering the Footballers probably have a better chance of attaining a provincial title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Whatever about dummy teams, Peter Canavan is busy trying to tell the world that his Fermanagh team have all been struck down with mystery injuries ahead of the weekend!

No one is believing ya Peter! That one is a bit old!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Royaler78

Probably been discussed before, but a blog on this topic.
    Question is, will the GAA address or continue to leave themselves open to what happened last weekend?

http://www.thesportsdiaries.com/2013/06/13/clar-oifigiuil-your-numbers-up/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Merged threads

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Royaler78

Cheers Clareman, missed this thread earlier!

Poor Martin and Ger spent the entire first half today trying to work out Peter's changes!

Then he went at the start of the second half and told them Sean Quigley was coming off but it was Conor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Cork did it again today, Sheehan and O Connor not starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Roscommon named a dummy team today too.....unfortunatly they played the game though......:(

Canavan went to extreme lengths too. Getting two of the lads to do the pre match parade and then changing them off!

Lemlin wrote: »
    Canavan went to extreme lengths too. Getting two of the lads to do the pre match parade and then changing them off!

and again, what use was it at all to them as Cavan made the much more impressive start to the game. Its a ridiculous ploy some managers are taking, and I am yet to see any positives from it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The more the media make of this the more it will continue.I suspect most GAA managers don't like being lectured to by journalists who only want the naming of dummy teams to stop to suit themselves and so are less likely to change the more that is made of it.

They really don't have any obligation to name the team to suit the media.Give a squad list each week and say that the numbers don't necessarily reflect the positions of the player and stick to that list and everybody would be fine.The team could be named over the PA system prior to the match.If managers aren't sure of who is starting then why should they be forced to name a team midweek and then stick with it.

The more the media make of this the more it will continue.I suspect most GAA managers don't like being lectured to by journalists who only want the naming of dummy teams to stop to suit themselves and so are less likely to change the more that is made of it.

They really don't have any obligation to name the team to suit the media.Give a squad list each week and say that the numbers don't necessarily reflect the positions of the player and stick to that list and everybody would be fine.The team could be named over the PA system prior to the match.If managers aren't sure of who is starting then why should they be forced to name a team midweek and then stick with it.

still not getting it.

there is a huge difference between making one or 2 changes to a side in the space of a week, than what is happening now with managers purposely sending in false and completely ridiculous line ups that are intended for nothing more than to wind people up.

And Canavan today, sending out 2 men in the pre match parade. Did he change his mind then 30 seconds before throw in? Absolutely ridiculous stuff that you dont see in any sport in the world other than GAA.

And again, my main point in all of this, what purpose does it serve?

still not getting it.

there is a huge difference between making one or 2 changes to a side in the space of a week, than what is happening now with managers purposely sending in false and completely ridiculous line ups that are intended for nothing more than to wind people up.

And Canavan today, sending out 2 men in the pre match parade. Did he change his mind then 30 seconds before throw in? Absolutely ridiculous stuff that you dont see in any sport in the world other than GAA.

I'd say it served no other purpose than actually motivating the Cavan lads. I'd say they were having a laugh thinking does that idiot actually think this is going to bamboozle us?

I know the whole of Cavan spent the last two weeks laughing at Canavan trying to protest that his whole team had niggles and were doubts for the game.

I really don't see why he was attempting all this psychological crap because he ended up not starting Kille and Corrigan, two of their best players when they came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

So far this season the managers who have done this at inter-county have been Dunne, Counihan, Canavan and Davy Fitz.

It's not exactly a list that I'd describe as being among the sharpest minds in terms of GAA tactics.

If I were an inter-county manager I'd be reluctant to do it to solely to avoid being lumped in with these four.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

still not getting it.

The level it's been done at today is farcical. When it started the aim was to protect the player in question if he was making his debut. Name him on Thursday and nerves might get the better of him, name him an hour before throw in and he doesn't have time to think of all the things that could go wrong.
    Of course some lads would be grand if they were named earlier in the week.

Now its gone to the stage where managers are trying but failing to confuse the opposition.

Advertisement