Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Tan or Burn?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

But you just said you don't burn easily?

30 certainly doesn't do the job for many people. Sun allergies are also more common than you might think.

My family, except me, all tan beautifully. They're all gingers. I'm the only brunette.
    The reign of daywalkers is upon us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

entropi wrote: »
    Thread needs moar poll!

Burn first, then tan over a week or two.

G'way! You do not! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My great grandfather said there'd be no tans in this house and by jaysus he was right. I'm as red as a spanked arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've got a really sexy farmers tan. Oh yeaaah.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭deblacker

Prodigious wrote: »
    Poll :)

^^^^ I second that, and I burn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I tan really easily even through im 100% irish and blue eyes. I have only ever burnt once and that was Orlando with no sun cream all day.

But its 2013 everyone should wear sun cream. Who wants to look 65 when they are 40 with all the sun damage. A tan is so 2001

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I just get freckles on my nose & cheeks & on my shoulders! Go a little red & then back to snow white again.. oh God bless my vampire white Celtic skin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The lower part of my arms tan and the upper part will burn if I dont keep suncream on it but then it will tan..

I made the mistake of sitting outside a bar all day last sunday in 30+ heat, nowhere was open to buy suncream so I said feck it..
    Oh how I regretted it. arms and legs were destroyed. It was torture wearing jeans in work all week.

Today the skin has decided to peel.. Its quiet satisfying peeling off large pieces of skin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I burn first and then it turns into a tan gradually. When I was younger I'd get a perfect tan that would last for ages. Then in my mid teens I wouldn't tan at all, just burn and then go back to pale. Now in my late teens I'm starting to get back to normal.

You're having a laugh with 50+ in Ireland. You wouldn't need that in Cyprus. I know precaution and all that but f*ck it theres nothing wrong with a bit of colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

thats the worst way to tan.

tanning is supposed to a slow processes over weeks to months.

That kinda of tan is what causes icky peeling and skin cancer

It's not like I do it on purpose :(

I've been like that every Summer since I was a kid, always used to work outdoors. Nowadays if I'm outside for half an hour at all- hello lobster.

You're right though, as a child I used be stuck to the bedsheets with the peeling off my back, but nowadays I never go topless...

o_O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

My pasty white skin sizzles like a lobster on a barbecue.

I have developed a dark caramel colour over the last few days using a factor 8 oil. The secret to maintaining a colour is aftersun or cocoa butter. Keep that skin moisturised!

Oh, and wear a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I burn a bit on my chest and top of my arms but I usually only have factor 20 on me. It takes a few weeks to turn into a tan though.

Was outside playing tennis for hours today and had no suncream on my legs and they're still pasty white!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

got scalded few times when i was younger,so go brown now,but last couple of days have a reddish tinge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I'll leave this here.

I was expecting this :D

d9hvfNt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Kind of both at the same time. My face and ears go red for a few hours before some sweet sweet tan. But my legs, the sluts that they are absorb the tan straight away and go all sexy and brown :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Never burn. Lots of melanin in the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I tan a little, but it makes me look more jaundiced than outdoorsy.

But never been burned:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

My family, except me, all tan beautifully. They're all gingers. I'm the only brunette.
    Gingers don't tan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Aidric wrote: »
    Gingers don't tan.

Except when they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I got seriously burnt while I was in Vietnam about 2 months ago. For some reason the 33 degree sun had no sympathy for my lightly sun-screened back while I frolicked in the ocean for half-an hour trying to do underwater line-outs.

Oh that was a deep, deep burn :( Went through a bottle of aloe-vera in 3 days and sleeping was a nightmare. First time my torso had been exposed to sun since the previous summer so I was perhaps a little naive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

I tend get this interesting, and delightfully attractive, lobster/tomatoe thing going on. And it fades to an ever so slightly darker shade of pale.
    I am surrounded by family members who tan while just walking from the house to the car!
    A number of years ago, when we also had a summer, my sister used to suggest she and I go out all the time, I thought she was just being sisterly.
    Ooooh, noooo. She informed me the reason she was inviting me on all those nights out was because being with someone so pasty white made her tan look so much better!
    There's nothing like family!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

no

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

I tan but today my neck is red from the sun.
    Weird even my arm are a bit red.
    Hopefully it fades into a tan, Don't want to look like a lobster.
    I probably should of used sunscreen..But I have never burned before :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

If its sunny at all, I wouldn't leave the house without sun cream.

The worst sunburn I've got in the last few years was on my head. I only discovered the next morning when taking a shower. The language used that morning was not pleasant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

I tan, U Jelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

In 2010 8,000 people in Ireland were diagnosed with skin cancer. Skin cancer is the most common cancer in Ireland, and yes it's caused by U.V. light. We are so thick when it comes to the sun it's unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm not exactly white to start with....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭purplepanda

I'm pale skinned & still freckled on arms & legs, no way will I get a tan, more likely massive blisters which has happened to me many times especially as a kid, neck is very prone to lobster shade burning. :mad:

I was in Egypt when it was 44C so I couldn't stay out in the open more than 1/2 hour without any cover, I usually use sun block as I don't think it's possible to have a tan with my complexion!! :D

And I'm not ginger either, had that straw coloured hair when a kid, like many in the south east counties which changed to light auburn now it's medium brown.

What's worse is that some people always try to stop you covering up after being in the the sun for a while, including family. One of my lads is even fairer than me, & stays totally in the shade when on holiday, his Mum used to do the same to him but I put a stop to that as I know the dangers of bad sunburn & blisters :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Festy wrote: »
    I was expecting this :D

d9hvfNt.jpg

Pffft sure that's nothing! :p

Advertisement