Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have any conspiracy theories ever benn proven true?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

That the CIA was behind almost everything that unfolded over the last 60 years in South America.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That the CIA was behind almost everything that unfolded over the last 60 years in South America.
    I know. That 1978 world cup final in Argentina was tres dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

endacl wrote: »
    I know. That 1978 world cup final in Argentina was tres dodgy.

Where do you think Maradonna got his Cocaine???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Seachmall wrote: »
    Maybe among conspiracy theorists, but not among historians.
    Historians mainly rely on first hand , eye witnesses accounts of any event to ' write History ' .The Warren Commission report wrote off the testimony's of hundreds of people ( including JFK man , Ken O Donnell who was riding behind in the next Limo ) simply because it didn't fit in with their own ( and the CIA 's ) official findings but it was all about reassuring and calming an American public who still believed that their government wouldn't lie to them .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Latchy wrote: »
    Historians mainly rely on first hand , eye witnesses accounts to of any event to ' write History ' .The Warren Commission report wrote off the testimony's of hundreds of people simply because it didn't fit in with their own ( and the CIA 's ) official findings but it was all about reassuring and calming an American public who still believed that their government wouldn't lie to them .

CT Forum is that way --->

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

Can't remember any that have been proven and acknowledged.....

There were rumours that it was going to be officially announced that Jedward were a pair of annoying idiots, but maybe that was a counter conspiracy....

I suppose the outlandish tinfoil hat notion that the US government is capturing and storing the emails, web searches, Skype calls and text messages of everyone on the planet has gained a little traction.

Seachmall wrote: »
    CT Forum is that way --->
    The front door entrance is ^ that way
    Correct, even when JFK was negotiation with Khrushchev to solve the Missile Crisis the CIA were carrying out clandestine operations behind the scenes in Cuba and Latin America which could seriously have damaged the peace negotiation's and worse .President Kennedy knew that he ( literally ) couldn't trust them with his life and Lyndon Johnson who took over as president discovered that - quote '' the CIA has being operating a huge murder Inc down in the Caribbean '' .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Isn't it accepted albeit unofficially at this stage that Lee Harvey Oswald was not a lone gunman? The Zapruder tape and the tests carried out from the book depository building.

I saw a documentary once that put forward the explanation that JFK was shot by JFK with some help from space/time travellers who returned to 1963 because they had ran out of curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I suppose that the events of Watergate would have been a conspiracy theory in their time and that was definitely proved true.

Also, closer to home, Bloody Sunday. While most Irish people would have known what happened, their version of events would have seemed like a conspiracy theory to the British public.

I read once that Jack Ruby shooting Oswald was just pure coincidence and RFK's assassination , yeah... that was just another lone nut coincidence to .
    FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I suppose that the events of Watergate would have been a conspiracy theory in their time and that was definitely proved true.
    When the American public started to realise it couldn't trust it's own government .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

i think another one that will come soon is the whole obama birth certificate . i seen today the department of justice and fbi raided a building where they claimed to have evidence of the certificate being faked....the only info they will reveal about the raid is that it was lawful under the USA Patriot Act

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

i think another one that will come soon is the whole obama birth certificate . i seen today the department of justice and fbi raided a building where they claimed to have evidence of the certificate being faked....the only info they will reveal about the raid is that it was lawful under the USA Patriot Act

Ah now, if there's a conspiracy at work there its that the good ol' boys can't take the fact that they're governed by a black man, instead of owning him. Doesn't fit the model I know. I mean, the president is the one who's supposed to be doing the conspiring, isn't he?!? He's the government. Right?

Where's RTDH when you need him? He'd make sense of all this and lay it out in a perfectly logical rational way. There'd be YouTube videos and everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Also, closer to home, Bloody Sunday. While most Irish people would have known what happened, their version of events would have seemed like a conspiracy theory to the British public.
    funny, I know personally on police officer (now LOOOOONG retired) who was at Altnagelvin Hospital as the injured were arriving.

he took several home made grenades from the pockets of at least two of those innocent bystanders who were mowed down by those foreign troops......

Of course as part of the peace process here it was easier to hold up hands and say a bunch of squaddies screwed up 40 years ago, than it was to risk the truth getting out that SOME of the victims were active players.....

oh bugger, more conspiracy!

That heart attack gun is an absolutely terrifying idea!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

horgan_p wrote: »
    The whole (american) government reading your email / listening to your calls is coming dangerously close to being true.....

That is already true for decades, not really a conspiracy theory. Even employees in the agencies will tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

El Guapo! wrote: »

that heart attack gun is fookin mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Magnetics

Operation Northwoods was a proven and extremely sinister conspiracy theory involving the US government

I'm not really into conspiracies but that one would really make you think about the trust we put in elected officials

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    Gravity.
    That theory was discounted years ago. The earth sucks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

El Guapo! wrote: »
    That heart attack gun is an absolutely terrifying idea!

Yeah I came to post about that. wtf!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

SeaFields wrote: »
    that heart attack gun is fookin mental!

An ice bullet coated in shellfish toxin....really? REally?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I'd say possibly a few more people have seen Oliver Stone's JFK than have read the Warren Report

Then again, what is it, 50% of Americans think jesus was around with the dinosaurs or whatever

Think I'll stick with experts on this, and by experts I mean historians, not fantasists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Jonny7 wrote: »
    I'd say possibly a few more people have seen Oliver Stone's JFK than have read the Warren Report

Then again, what is it, 50% of Americans think jesus was around with the dinosaurs or whatever

Think I'll stick with experts on this, and by experts I mean historians, not fantasists.

In the famous scene in JFK where Jim Garrison has the 2 guys sit one in front of the other and he says back and to the left they left out one important detail. Governor Connolly was sitting a foot to the left of JFK and JFK was sitting in a bucket seat which was higher up. This positioning matches the bullets tragectory from the book depository perfectly. The shots came from the book depository, Oswald worked there, Oswald was the only employee unaccounted for after the shooting, Oswald brought a long package to work that morning, Oswald used an alias to buy the rifle, Oswald left his wedding ring and all his money at home that morning, Oswald tried to assassinate a general a few weeks earlier, Oswald was seen by multiple witnesses shooting a cop shortly after he killed JFK, Oswald was arrested in the movie theatre with that handgun.

In the famous scene in JFK where Jim Garrison has the 2 guys sit one in front of the other and he says back and to the left they left out one important detail. Governor Connolly was sitting a foot to the left of JFK and JFK was sitting in a bucket seat which was higher up. This positioning matches the bullets tragectory from the book depository perfectly. The shots came from the book depository, Oswald worked there, Oswald was the only employee unaccounted for after the shooting, Oswald brought a long package to work that morning, Oswald used an alias to buy the rifle, Oswald left his wedding ring and all his money at home that morning, Oswald tried to assassinate a general a few weeks earlier, Oswald was seen by multiple witnesses shooting a cop shortly after he killed JFK, Oswald was arrested in the movie theatre with that handgun.

Nice try government shill..

We all know who was responsible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY02Qkuc_f8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I dont believe he planned it alone though, hence conspiracy.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Pre Oliver Stones JFK I'd say possibly as many people have read numerous books on the Assassination and formed their own opinions before that movie was released (29 years after the event ,which really didn't tell us much that the public didn't know already except to focus on and highly inflate the deeply flawed Jim Garrison character )

Historians don't have any deeper knowledge of the assassination than anybody else ,it's just their job to write it as it's put out .2029 is when all the official papers on the assassination will be realised to the public .Then it will just be confined to real history when more details and facts emerge = all suspects and those involved will most likely ( if not already ) be dead .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    Gravity.

Gravity is a myth. The earth sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

There certainly are a lot of stupid people out there.

• Advertisement

Latchy wrote: »
    Historians don't have any deeper knowledge of the assassination than anybody

They generally do, because they are literally qualified to do it properly, dissect information correctly, strive to be objective and impartial, check their sources and others, substantiate and investigate facts.. also they have plenty of other historians challenging them on the tiny details.

Almost "anybody else" reads the dailymail and watches JFK..

No one has been able to build a proper case on who alternatively killed JFK.. and that hasn't be done yet, in 50 years. The strongest case, by a mile, is Oswald, and that Onion article I posted

Advertisement