Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have deleted my Facebook account

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

So is Boards like methadone for your Facebook addiction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Meritocracy Wins

I think I'll be doing the same with my Boards account. Place is dragging me down. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

I'm only 6 posts into reading this thread and I'm so fúckin bored already.

Think I'll delete my boards account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think I'll be doing the same with my Boards account. Place is dragging me down. :o

You should start a new thread if you're gonna close your account - Here all the nice things people feel about you and some will beg you not to do it.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    You should start a new thread if you're gonna close your account - Here all the nice things people feel about you and some will beg you not to do it.

Thing is..

• Advertisement

Thing is..

Yes?

Yes?

Thing is there..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

The mundane status updates and constant game updates are a bit crap but it's a fantastic free means of communication and I'm an avid user of events and groups for organising social stuff, that all syncs happily to my phone so I don't think I've been on the site in a month for anything other than video chat. If you need to delete it you're not a casual user, you're a borderline addict, I get that out of my system on boards so it's never going to be a problem.

Thing is there..

Where?

Where?

Go away Orangey, you are mad.:D :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Whats a facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

**Vai** wrote: »
    Whats a facebook?

It's where you find someone engrossed in a novel and smack it into their face, it's how you initiate romantic interactions with scholarly folk, some find it addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I find it useful to keep in contact with friends and some members of my family who live abroad.

If you don't like inane updates the delete whoever is posting them. Simple really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

whirlpool wrote: »
    After four years, I have deleted my Facebook account. Not deactivated, but permanently deleted. It's been three weeks. The only difference I've really felt is that i don't have an instant outlet for every second thought that pops into my head... which is a good thing.

Anyone else deleting their Facebook recently? Or thinking about it? Do. It's great.

It doesn't have to be used as a tool to update everyone on your hourly activities.

When use appropriately and in the right way, facebook isn't all that bad. Good way of keeping in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I just mute what I don't want to see. I also don't use my real surname. If someone wants to add me I can send them a link to my page. I don't need idiots that bullied me in school pretending that we're long lost friends. If someone I know asks me "are you on Facebook" (which happened when I was buying something in a shop a couple of months ago) and I don't want to add them, I just say "no". I have no reason to delete my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

Fella quits Facebook.

Dey Hatin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭illuma

Deleting your facebook account seems to be the new 'cool' thing to do. Tbh I'd rather keep mine, at least until the next cool thing comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

After four years, I have deleted my Facebook account. Not deactivated, but permanently deleted. It's been three weeks. The only difference I've really felt is that i don't have an instant outlet for every second thought that pops into my head... which is a good thing.

Anyone else deleting their Facebook recently? Or thinking about it? Do. It's great.

How bored were you last night and what did you have for dinner?

I was your friend on FB and I miss your updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I think that facebook outrun skype and other small social networks, because it gave people possibility to find relatives,long lost friends,and take a glance at their lives how it changed and so on.But now people noticing that from the lists of friends that they have not even couple of them come close to real friends and most people have close to 100+ 200+ people and more on their lists,common sense doesn't make any sense in this,as if one was to go trough the list its only couple people that really matter the rest are friends of a friends,someone who you used to go to school with,people from work,or someone you met in a party.So yeah facebook is crap in that sense as it puts all your mates and what not into omg i have a friend :cool:
    where skype worked more like a network where you only put people that you care or have interest to have contact with person once in a while,not put crappy pictures of your everyday life and comments every hour what crap are you doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I deleted my account for well over a year and went back onto it a few months ago, I found I missed the personal message part of it. And it's saved me money texting my friends and family in uk and America and aus . I've also started a Facebook page for my business. I got a job out of that and made some money so I'm delighted.

But Facebook can eat out your soul if you let it, but no more than boards. Just look at me, it's a sunny day and I'm talking to all you boneheads :0)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Yeah the daft updates are silly, and the 'look what I'm eating!!' photos are quite annoying but like most people I find it very handy to keep in touch with people living abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

One word, Whatsapp.

"Faster" to communicate then FB. You can text, send pics/vids, files and it's all free no matter where you are, all to people you are only really friends with.

</FB>
    (Yes I did delete my account, sick of all the usual FB bullsh!t)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The only difference I've really felt is that i don't have an instant outlet for every second thought that pops into my head... which is a good thing.

You are one of those type people that make others feel like deleting their accounts. I've been using FB fir roughly the same length of time as you but have never felt the need to publicise my every thought and wish on it.

Facebook will be a better place with out you. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭illuma

scamalert wrote: »
    I think that facebook outrun skype and other small social networks, because it gave people possibility to find relatives,long lost friends,and take a glance at their lives how it changed and so on.But now people noticing that from the lists of friends that they have not even couple of them come close to real friends and most people have close to 100+ 200+ people and more on their lists,common sense doesn't make any sense in this,as if one was to go trough the list its only couple people that really matter the rest are friends of a friends,someone who you used to go to school with,people from work,or someone you met in a party.So yeah facebook is crap in that sense as it puts all your mates and what not into omg i have a friend :cool:

+1 It's becoming more and more like Myspace. It was better when it was more exclusive and people only added those they knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

CJC999 wrote: »
    You are one of those type people that make others feel like deleting their accounts. I've been using FB fir roughly the same length of time as you but have never felt the need to publicise my every thought and wish on it.

See, this is part of the problem with facebook. everyone thinks their updates are fine, that its everyone else putting up the inane babble. everyone thinks they only log on once in a while and they only post something interesting. its rarely, if ever true. facebook turns clever, witty, aware people into morons and the kicker is that everybody thinks theyre the exception

CJC999 wrote: »

Exactly! There's no need whatsoever to post every thought that comes into your head. I use Facebook to communicate with friends in other countries and arrange nights out without having to send millions of texts back and forth. It can be really useful. Shame so many people think its purpose is to tell us what they had for breakfast and post pictures of their cat.

See, this is part of the problem with facebook. everyone thinks their updates are fine, that its everyone else putting up the inane babble. everyone thinks they only log on once in a while and they only post something interesting. its rarely, if ever true. facebook turns clever, witty, aware people into morons and the kicker is that everybody thinks theyre the exception

I update my status 2-3 times a year, when I actually have something interesting to share and post only a few pics a year, so no. You just notice the morons because they're the ones posting all the time. Plenty of people only use the e-mail function and comment on the odd post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

I think it's a handy way to keep in touch with friends, relatives etc. I also think it's ridiculous to rely on it as anything greater than a form of entertainment or a useful way to contact shops or friends etc. I never bought the whole digital lifestyle tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I update my status 2-3 times a year, when I actually have something interesting to share and post only a few pics a year, so no. You just notice the morons because they're the ones posting all the time. Plenty of people only use the e-mail function and comment on the odd post.

I have no doubt you are the exception

• Advertisement
Advertisement