Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have deleted my Facebook account

Options
  • 08-06-2013 4:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

After four years, I have deleted my Facebook account. Not deactivated, but permanently deleted. It's been three weeks. The only difference I've really felt is that i don't have an instant outlet for every second thought that pops into my head... which is a good thing.

Anyone else deleting their Facebook recently? Or thinking about it? Do. It's great.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

What you want a medal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Why would I? It's a handy form of contacting and keeping in touch with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,031 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Trying to get your Facebook fix by posting on boards instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

k8fRpvx.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

FearDark wrote: »
    What you want a medal?

Not quite, no. But you should definitely get one for the most predictable response to the "I quit Facebook" topic known to man.

• Advertisement

Serously? The "what do you want, praise?" responses?

Just because someone starts a topic about quitting Facebook doesn't mean they're looking for praise.

Is it seriously necessary for you all to be that horrifically cliché?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I post on FB once in a blue moon. I normally only use it for playing games and being nosy :D

L'prof wrote: »
    Trying to get your Facebook fix by posting on boards instead?

One single post in the three weeks since deleting Facebook. So... i'm gonna go with no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

whirlpool wrote: »

Just because someone starts a topic about quitting Facebook doesn't mean they're looking for praise.

All? :confused: It was one person, mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Deleted mine a couple of months ago.

It's a load of bollocks that keeps wanting more and more info and then you've friends you'll never see again and all that.

Don't miss it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Not quite, no. But you should definitely get one for the most predictable response to the "I quit Facebook" topic known to man.

And you should get another for yet another predictable thread. Now go off and make one on scumbags, the dole and house prices and you'll have the full set.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I shut mine down for good too a couple of months back. I was always of the view that you kept in touch with people who you wanted to by your phone anyway. By saying goodbye to FB you're culling all the folk who you never much cared for or barely even knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Got rid of mine well over a year ago. on the odd ocassion i do see someone elses im baffled by how incredibly inane the whole thing is.
    Iv always been a bit of an attention seeker anyway, so the last thing i needed was the ability to impart every thought and emotion i had, instantly, to every single person id ever met. getting off it has been good for me.
    With that said im canada bound in december and everyone keeps tellin me ill have to set one up, both for stayin in touch at home and apparently its nigh on impossible to make friends out there without one. Dreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

What other reason could you have asked for? You opting out of facebook is completely inconsequential to us. And the discussion of "Oh, I did" and "I'm thinking about it" is completely banal. There is nothing to discuss.

I for one will not remove myself from facebook, likely ever. There are dozens of people I care about in places I can't see them in real life and so facebook helps me to keep up with them, as it's chat feature is "faster" than email and much more conducive to conversation. Facebook is not the big bad wolf people like making it out to be, sure, it's a bit intrusive, but it's uses outweigh the bad 50 to 1.

I shut mine down for good too a couple of months back. I was always of the view that you kept in touch with people who you wanted to by your phone anyway. By saying goodbye to FB you're culling all the folk who you never much cared for or barely even knew.

As a matter of interest, have you any friends in foreign countries where calling is expensive?

What other reason could you have asked for? You opting out of facebook is completely inconsequential to us. And the discussion of "Oh, I did" and "I'm thinking about it" is completely banal. There is nothing to discuss.

if you were to apply this theory across boards it would wipe out 90 per cent of threads

if you were to apply this theory across boards it would wipe out 90 per cent of threads

It really wouldn't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I mostly use it to keep in contact with relations/friends who are overseas etc.

It's a load of bollocks what some people post on it like "I'm in the pub" or "I'm going to make a cup of tea" as if anyone really gives a shíte about things like that.

It really wouldn't though.

It really would though. how many threads on here, AH in particular, are inconsequential to everyone except the OP and perhaps a handful of others . iv been on this quite some time and the only thread i can recall that doesnt fit your description is the IEC Megathread, which was an invaluable resource.
    90 per cent of threads however are just some guy going "what about this." which is great, i like it, but just cause you have a hard on for mundane updates and pokes and likes you have opted to apply a criticism that could be applied to almost any thread. then backed it up with the water tight argument "it really wouldnt." thats the type of thing facebook promotes, argument over debate. You should log off once in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

As a matter of interest, have you any friends in foreign countries where calling is expensive?

This is the only reason I keep my Facebook account open to be honest. No more than most people, I have a good few friends in Australia so with time difference and cost it's handy. I actually find myself using viber more lately but still find Facebook good for pictures and that sort of craic. Fair play OP, have thought of doing it myself but I know I probably won't, not with some of the crew away.

I can honestly say I never really liked Facebook or got into the swing of it but some of the completly inane shiite and cringeworthy things people post lately has me completely turned off. Maybe I'm getting old! I now usually go on only if I get an email first that I have a message.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I don't use FB enough to feel like I'd be freeing myself by deleting.
    I just check in every few days to see what slacktivist causes people are liking... what people I haven't seen or spoken to in years look like now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

What you want a medal?

And you should get another for yet another predictable thread. Now go off and make one on scumbags, the dole and house prices and you'll have the full set.

I for one will not remove myself from facebook, likely ever. There are dozens of people I care about in places I can't see them in real life and so facebook helps me to keep up with them, as it's chat feature is "faster" than email and much more conducive to conversation. Facebook is not the big bad wolf people like making it out to be, sure, it's a bit intrusive, but it's uses outweigh the bad 50 to 1.

Jesus, give him a break. Have you seen some of the threads started in AH?!

Yeah deleted mine too. No use for it.

Have friends in other countries, but I'd prefer to text them on viber - more personal. Also Instagram or Flickr if they simply want to share photos. Really only worthwhile photos for the latter too so I find it good that way.

Plenty of alternatives to FB chat too so no real reason for it, for me anyway.

Some people get good use of it, but I just think it's all a bit contrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm in a country where Facebook is banned, life goes on without it, saying thati do miss it, seeing peoples news and family pictures, or talking crap with friends, its an easy way to feel connected to people at home, there are other alternatives but for convenience Id rather use Facebook.

If you have no use for it then by all means get rid of it but what I can't stand are the tards that get on their high horse about closing their accounts, its a lot more than just "having Nandos for dinner" for a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Oranage2 wrote: »
    its a lot more than just "having Nandos for dinner" for a lot of people.

It really is. It's about women posting photos of themselves and getting their mates saying they look lovely.

There also seems to be a thing of a certain demographic getting professional shots done, full makeup and lighting etc. It's like sleb culture taken to another weird level.

Same applies to the sunbed, waxed and eyebrow shaped blokes. Scary.

It's entertaining. And frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

The only reason I still have a Facebook account is because I'm friends with Iga Wyrwal on it and she posts some lovely pictures of herself. Otherwise, I have no use for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Liamalone

it's uses outweigh the bad 50 to 1.

In struggling to think of 5 uses for Facebook let alone 50!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Op Closes fb account, makes status update about it here lol.

I find fb invaluable for keeping in the loop re martial arts and motorcycling.

That said I've been considering closing my boards account and conducting all serious martial arts and biking discussion on fb where I know the ppl well and I know I'm not wasting my time with fooking weirdos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

No point shutting down your page without telling everyone you are thinking of doing so, am going to do it, do it then announce its shut down on another site.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Don't go closing your account Mak, post less if you get tired of the place, but closing is pretty final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

OP, never mind the negative responses. I think you're cool
    Op Closes fb account, makes status update about it here lol.

I find fb invaluable for keeping in the loop re martial arts and motorcycling.

That said I've been considering closing my boards account and conducting all serious martial arts and biking discussion on fb where I know the ppl well and I know I'm not wasting my time with fooking weirdos

"Weirdos"? Cheers!

Advertisement