Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Santa Monica Shooting.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If people are suggesting that one should carry a side arm at all times surely it's equally as valid to always wear a bullet proof vest. The bullet proof vest wouldn't be an issue even now would it legally? Surely this is a good solution. Everyone in America should have to wear a bullet proof vest. It might even help with the obesity epidemic.

I'd suggest a kevlar helmet too but that might be construed as taking things too far.

Do they make bullet proof trousers?

In California, it is legal to wear body armour unless you are a felon or are committing a crime (They want the police to be able to shoot you). Nobody said CA's laws made sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mangochavez

The solution is to ban life. Everyone strangle eachother. Then mah feelin's won't get hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I was for gun control until this weeks surveillance revelations. now, if they had stricter gun laws, how would the common folk rise up against the impending police state?

that country is getting more ****ed by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

We have a lot of colleges.

This wasn't a college shooting, this was a run which started in someone's house, went up the street, and finished in the local community college where the police finally caught up with him.

Pretty much.

Los Angeles County (the county in which Santa Monica is located) has licensed (as of 2011) 220 people who are not sworn police officers (So this includes politicians, judges, actors, and friends of the Sheriff) to be armed as they go about their business. Considering the size of the county's population (9.9 million), that's pretty much nobody.

Of course, being a community college, they probably have a 'no firearms' policy anyway, which will keep everyone safe.

Why not have AK's or AR's in break glass units around schools. Every school should have an armoury, that way when **** goes down you can arm everyone. And you could sew body armour into school uniforms! And to be sure, make sure all ammunition is hollow point/armour piercing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

And to be sure, make sure all ammunition is hollow point/armour piercing.

OK, whatever about the rest of your dumb post.... this is just so wrong I can't let it go. Hollow points and AP rounds are two completely different and pretty much mutually exclusive things. Armour Piercing have to be solid lumps of metal with a usually sharp tip to actually you know.... pierce.... They'll go through an object or person and keep on truckin

Hollow points are exactly that, Hollow on the tip so that on impact they completely change shape and don't go too far through whatever you are shooting. They should get stuck in the target, (i.e. The armour) given they don't have armour piercing capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

OK, whatever about the rest of your dumb post.... this is just so wrong I can't let it go. Hollow points and AP rounds are two completely different and pretty much mutually exclusive things. Armour Piercing have to be solid lumps of metal with a usually sharp tip to actually you know.... pierce.... They'll go through an object or person and keep on truckin

Hollow points are exactly that, Hollow on the tip so that on impact they completely change shape and don't go too far through whatever you are shooting. They should get stuck in the target, (i.e. The armour) given they don't have armour piercing capability.

No **** Sherlock!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's also the fact that it is now part of the culture in the States to get your automatic rifle or handgun and shoot up a load of civilians when you want to get back at the world or for whatever reason.

Easy to get an automatic rifle in The States you say. Fact, you say. Check your facts. They can be gotten with great difficulty in some states and not at all in others. What is allowed over there are semi automatic firearms. We have semi automatic firearms over here too and guess what, no school shootings (and yes, I am aware that this wasn't really a school shooting).
    The media's trend to turn these things into a week long rolling news spectacle with updates like you would see at a sports event doesn't help either.

I will agree with you here. The fcuked up kids over there seem to be fame obsessed at any cost. Shoot up a school and you are famous, can't deny that. And newspapers spouting crap about it being "the worst shooting in the State etc." only serves to set targets for nutcases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anyone else think that the perpetrators of these attacks receiving such a huge media spotlight might be motivation for some?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

MadYaker wrote: »
    Anyone else think that the perpetrators of these attacks receiving such a huge media spotlight might be motivation for some?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Easy to get an automatic rifle in The States you say. Fact, you say. Check your facts. They can be gotten with great difficulty in some states and not at all in others. What is allowed over there are semi automatic firearms. We have semi automatic firearms over here too and guess what, no school shootings (and yes, I am aware that this wasn't really a school shooting).

That's why I said automatic rifle or handgun. Thus making my facts correct. :)

I don't know. I think you meant automatic rifle or handgun meaning either could be automatic, and thus neither is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Who gives a f*ck..... None of them should be freely available to every nutjob,whackjob and suicide case

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I think the main problem in the United States that causes these kinds of shootings is the fact it's a pressure cooker. There's a constant pressure and emphasis on being successful. Look at the ones that tend to do the shootings most often, typically middle class white kids. Likely being pressured by parents to get good grades, to do community service, to join clubs etc. So they can have a solid portfolio to be lucky enough to get a scholarship so they can get into a good college without needing to join the military.

What's the pay off in the end? You get to work a high paying job. With more pressure, 6 days of public holidays a year in a lot of states. 10 days paid holidays. Unpaid overtime. If you lose your job, you get social welfare for no more than 2 years in most states and it's weighted off whatever you paid in taxes to that point. In the state I live in, the maximum is 220 a week.

Add in the element of drug smuggling a long a large portion of the country and a disproportion of wealth with a pretty non-existent public mental healthcare system (depending on the state)

The cost of being a super power

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Who gives a f*ck..... None of them should be freely available to every nutjob,whackjob and suicide case

I give a f*ck.

Hollow points and other such deforming or frangible ammunition are the safest, most effective rounds, and are standard for police and private citizens who know what they're on about. Armor piercing, however, one can certainly have a debate about. They are good at one thing only: Making small holes in tough things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I give a f*ck.

Hollow points and other such deforming or frangible ammunition are the safest, most effective rounds, and are standard for police and private citizens who know what they're on about. Armor piercing, however, one can certainly have a debate about. They are good at one thing only: Making small holes in tough things.

Ha, I have visions of you crawling around your back garden in full combat gear , camouflage makeup on your face repeating quotes from Full Metal Jacket !!!

Ease off the finer details of bullets or save it for the bullet & weaponry forum.

hawkelady wrote: »
    Ha, I have visions of you crawling around your back garden in full combat gear , camouflage makeup on your face repeating quotes from Full Metal Jacket !!!.

How did you know my hobby?

Advertisement