Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Santa Monica Shooting.

Options
  • 08-06-2013 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

What is it with US colleges and shootings?

Before people start on the anti-gun rant, there are plenty of places with lots of guns this doesn't happen.

Is it time to ban colleges?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

for the benefit of the OP who forgot to link and anyone to lazy/stoned/drunk to google,heres sky news version on the story- http://news.sky.com/story/1100901/santa-monica-shooting-six-dead-five-hurt

ban guns-give everyone pugil sticks,sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Has anyone considered a ban on shooting people?

It seems like a more direct approach than banning guns or colleges if I'm being honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Why can't everyone just get along?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Technically, it's the bullet that's the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Before people start on the anti-gun rant, there are plenty of places with lots of guns this doesn't happen.

If you are an active shooter, it kinda makes sense to go to a place where guns are banned, like a school or college, doncha think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Ban Americans.

At this stage i dont know who is more crazy, the Talaban or the Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

Yes.
    Then ban education.
    Then ban dodgy parents.
    Then ban gun control.
    Then ban whateveryoulike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Not looking at the bigger picture here: It's not the gun that kills people, it's the people shooting the gun, so you've got to ban people. Once you get rid of all the people, you get rid of the majority of crime and most other socioeconomic problems as well; genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

Seachmall wrote: »
    Has anyone considered a ban on shooting people?

It seems like a more direct approach than banning guns or colleges if I'm being honest.

There is a ban on shooting people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Absolutely zero ability to self analyze and admit their way of doing things is wrong and a gun lobby that can control elected officials. That's why these things keep happening. It's also the fact that it is now part of the culture in the States to get your automatic rifle or handgun and shoot up a load of civilians when you want to get back at the world or for whatever reason. The media's trend to turn these things into a week long rolling news spectacle with updates like you would see at a sports event doesn't help either. News has to be reported, but only the cops investigating really only need to know every detail and event. They could just wait a few months and do a really detailed documentary on it instead of turning it into live coverage of shooting number: (whatever number it is). I honestly think that style of reporting just validates the next psycho's belief he is going to get back at the whole world when he goes on his spree.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Not looking at the bigger picture here: It's not the gun that kills people, it's the people shooting the gun, so you've got to ban people. Once you get rid of all the people, you get rid of the majority of crime and most other socioeconomic problems as well; genius.

Can we shoot them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Jesus, I was only there last week.
    19 people were shot at a Mother's Day parade in New Orleans while I was there too.

I agree, the ban on talas was a very unusual. Did nothing to curb school shootings as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Think the only real solution is every one carries a gun at all times, that way when the shooting starts, you can go shoot **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Think what causes most of these shootings in the US is extremely lax gun laws, poor parenting/supervision and bullying/stress on students. If the first two were sorted, there would be no problems seeing as most of the guns used were gotten at home......so if the gun laws were better and the parents were better there would be less problems with the students which would lead to less problems in the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Absolutely zero ability to self analyze and admit their way of doing things is wrong and a gun lobby that can control elected officials. That's why these things keep happening. It's also the fact that it is now part of the culture in the States to get your automatic rifle or handgun and shoot up a load of civilians when you want to get back at the world or for whatever reason. The media's trend to turn these things into a week long rolling news spectacle with updates like you would see at a sports event doesn't help either. News has to be reported, but only the cops investigating really only need to know every detail and event. They could just wait a few months and do a really detailed documentary on it instead of turning it into live coverage of shooting number: (whatever number it is). I honestly think that style of reporting just validates the next psycho's belief he is going to get back at the whole world when he goes on his spree.

I wanna shoot some paragraphs in there

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

We have a lot of colleges.

This wasn't a college shooting, this was a run which started in someone's house, went up the street, and finished in the local community college where the police finally caught up with him.
    Think the only real solution is every one carries a gun at all times, that way when the shooting starts, you can go shoot **** up.

Pretty much.

Los Angeles County (the county in which Santa Monica is located) has licensed (as of 2011) 220 people who are not sworn police officers (So this includes politicians, judges, actors, and friends of the Sheriff) to be armed as they go about their business. Considering the size of the county's population (9.9 million), that's pretty much nobody.

Of course, being a community college, they probably have a 'no firearms' policy anyway, which will keep everyone safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

FanadMan wrote: »
    Think what causes most of these shootings in the US is extremely lax gun laws, poor parenting/supervision and bullying/stress on students. If the first two were sorted, there would be no problems seeing as most of the guns used were gotten at home......so if the gun laws were better and the parents were better there would be less problems with the students which would lead to less problems in the schools.

Alot of these shootings are caused by media sensationalism. The media turn the perpetrators into infamous villains who are known by everyone, while the victims are forgotten.

If it weren't for the way the media report these shootings the people that commit them would be far more likely to just kill themselves in their basement alone, rather than trying to take a bunch of innocent people with them...

Shootings like this are not terrorism, they are just a way for needy little sh1ts to hit back against societies perceived injustices. There's no reason other than to be noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

JonEBGud wrote: »
    There is a ban on shooting people.

What? Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Why not get all guns to shoot at the shooter

NEXT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Google vehm, the voluntary human extinction Movement, they seem to have it sussed. Heard about them via some AR 'enthusiasts'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Technically, it's the bullet that's the real problem.
    Technically our skin isn't hard enough to deflect the bullet is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

The situation unfolded about three miles (5km) from where President Barack Obama was appearing at a fundraiser, but the Secret Service said the incident did not affect his trip aside from his motorcade route being slightly altered.

Well Thank God for that. We can all sleep happily tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Technically our skin isn't hard enough to deflect the bullet is the problem

If people are suggesting that one should carry a side arm at all times surely it's equally as valid to always wear a bullet proof vest. The bullet proof vest wouldn't be an issue even now would it legally? Surely this is a good solution. Everyone in America should have to wear a bullet proof vest. It might even help with the obesity epidemic.

I'd suggest a kevlar helmet too but that might be construed as taking things too far.

Do they make bullet proof trousers?

If people are suggesting that one should carry a side arm at all times surely it's equally as valid to always wear a bullet proof vest. The bullet proof vest wouldn't be an issue even now would it legally? Surely this is a good solution. Everyone in America should have to wear a bullet proof vest. It might even help with the obesity epidemic.

I'd suggest a kevlar helmet too but that might be construed as taking things too far.

Do they make bullet proof trousers?

I see what you're getting at but does someone carrying a weapon make them more paranoid than me carrying a first aid kit in my car?

I mean I've never used the first aid kit, and probably never will. Most people get just by without having one but I like to have one just in case.

Am I a paranoid fool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Seachmall wrote: »
    I see what you're getting at but does someone carrying a weapon make them more paranoid than me carrying a first aid kit in my car?

I mean I've never used the first aid kit, and probably never will. Most people get just by without having one but I like to have one just in case.

Am I a paranoid fool?

Not at all but the car analogy is a good one. Everyone needs a car to get about, but they can kill. So we insist (I know not every state in the US does) that people wear seat belts. Bullet proof vests are a gun culture's seat belts.

Can we create a News forum, where things like this are posted, but the ability to post or discuss are removed? Threads like this go on for far too long, way after the fact, and always descend into the exact same arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Guess who funded the Taliban?

OP, there are other places with guns, but nowhere in the *developed world are they more pervasive than in America. The USA is an incredibly violent place.

Advertisement