Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leprosy recorded in Ireland for the first time in decades - Irish Examiner

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

MadsL wrote: »
    Take your scaremongering elsewhere perhaps?

Your country screens anyone who wants to reside their long-term. But if an Irishman wants similar procedures in place here, hes scaremongering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

This is 1987 anymore. We know you can't catch HIV from sharing a glass with a person or shaking their hand. You have to exchange body fluids.

In America they distinguish between HIV and HIV undectable. Meaning you have hiv but the virus amount is so low there is an extremely small chance of passing it on to another person through sex etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Interesting figures and it's certainly a debatable topic. You probably picked the wrong forum though!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Your country screens anyone who wants to reside their long-term. But if an Irishman wants similar procedures in place here, hes scaremongering?

As it is not "my country" yet, I can tell you that I was not screened for HIV on entry for long-term residence in the US.

Complete fail on your reliance on 80s type hysteria about HIV. HIV is a treatable condition with almost normal life expectancy when treated.

Stop peddling misinformed nonsense in order to further your very transparent agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Complete fail on your reliance on 80s type hysteria about HIV. HIV is a treatable condition with almost normal life expectancy when treated.

As true as that may be, HIV is still a very serious concern and regardless of how treatable it is, it does still carry serious implications and stigma with it.

• Advertisement

Having sensible immigration controls including screening for those from regions with outbreaks of contagious diseases is not racist. Tb and hiv are on the rise and a sizeable number of those infected are recent arrivals into this country. We need to start screening people.

You are an immigrant into the U.S., I take it? So, you have a problem with countries screening immigrants, yet you went ahead and emigrated to a country that screens immigrants. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

An opinion poll was conducted on this issue and it concluded that 76% of Irish people wished for all new residents to be screened upon entry.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

screened and all should have to pass and english language test (but giving time in the country to learn english.. 2 years maybe..they don't pass..they're out) Far too many here at 10/15 years and still can't string a basic sentence together.
    But I think this should be the case in every country. You want to stay, you gotta know the language..or should need to

Having sensible immigration controls including screening for those from regions with outbreaks of contagious diseases is not racist. Tb and hiv are on the rise and a sizeable number of those infected are recent arrivals into this country. We need to start screening people.

You are an immigrant into the U.S., I take it? So, you have a problem with countries screening immigrants, yet you went ahead and emigrated to a country that screens immigrants. :D

1. As I have already pointed out, the US doesn't screen for HIV.
    2. I don't have a problem with the US's screening practices, they are quite simple and straightforward.
    3. I do have a problem with people using such topics as a veil for an obviously xenophobic agenda by misrepresentation. Your posting history is what bothers me, not the topic.

• Advertisement

screened and all should have to pass and english language test (but giving time in the country to learn english.. 2 years maybe..they don't pass..they're out) Far too many here at 10/15 years and still can't string a basic sentence together.
    But I think this should be the case in every country. You want to stay, you gotta know the language..or should need to

Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

That's a big hit to the Irish medical budget.

What did they contribute to Ireland,(Except HIV) and now they most likely want expensive medical treatment at cost to the Irish taxpayer.

Screen them out.

Irish?

spoken language in the country. since is english is also considered national spoken language here. clearly it'd be that, as Irish has little use outside of the gealtachs .

:rolleyes: nu-duh. :rolleyes:

1. As I......... not the topic.

If my posts bother you report them or put me on ignore. I really don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Said it in the other thread but just to repeat it, you can't legally issue blanket bans on individuals with HIV-AIDS from entering this jurisdiction. Just putting that out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Life is probably more difficult for the immigrant who has poor english but please explain how it matters to you?

kneemos wrote: »
    Life is probably more difficult for the immigrant who has poor english but please explain how it matters to you?

The problem is it isn't that difficult.. if it was..they'd have learned english after 10 years >.>.

It matters because it's how I was raised. If you move to a country make an effort to participate in that countries culture and learn their language.

Why is it ok, that after so many years they still can't properly communicate? How are they living here that way? How is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

As the house of cards collapses all around
    the accusations and blaming abounds
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Many seem to forget all the english they have learned when they get arrested and have to appear in court.

old_aussie wrote: »
    That's a big hit to the Irish medical budget.

What did they contribute to Ireland,(Except HIV) and now they most likely want expensive medical treatment at cost to the Irish taxpayer.

Screen them out.

Many will also go on to infect others because they refuse to take precautions. Some will even believe that sex with a virgin will cure them.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Many seem to forget all the english they have learned when they get arrested and have to appear in court.

All the more reason to have to pass an exam.. to go oh look you know english :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

Next week all our "birds" will have avian Flew.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Tuberculosis screening has not been extended for all the "at-risk groups" in Ireland, the HSE has confirmed.
    Experts have warned that foreign workers should be encouraged to attend voluntary clinics to screen for the infectious disease, and not just non-EU nationals.
    President of the Irish Thoracic Society (ITS), Dr Terry O'Connor, said that non-EU nationals must undergo a series of health checks.
    Mr O'Connor, a consultant respiratory physician at Mercy University Hospital, said that the same should apply to immigrants from European countries.

But what would Mr O'Connor know, eh? Anyway, a opinion poll conducted on this issue found that 76% of Irish people want all non EU immigrants to be screened for disease upon arrival.

I merged your new thread after I read this post that was posted previous to that, you seem very interested in this topic, so better keeping all your posts on the same topic in the one thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

All the more reason to have to pass an exam.. to go oh look you know english :D
    Class standards in the countrys schools are dropping because of the number of children with no proper grasp of the language. Children of all foreign immigrants or asylum seekers should be given at least six months to a year of language classes before being allowed into mainstream schools so they can have the same chance of learning as their irish classmates.

It matters because it's how I was raised. If you move to a country make an effort to participate in that countries culture and learn their language.

They can communicate using Klingon for all I care. Once they don't infect me with an infectious disease, commit serious crimes or live off the state I dont care what they do.

There was a PrimeTime report about the reintroduction of tuberculosis into our society. Long story short was that If there was a serious outbreak of tuberculosis in this country, the conclusion was that we would be royally f*cked. The last tuberculosis ward was shut in 2006 iinm and only three beds are left to cater for sufferers.

As great as it would be to have all our recent arrivals fairly competent at the lingo, not least for social cohesion, its not half as important as containing infectious diseases.

If my posts bother you report them or put me on ignore. I really don't care.

Just calling it as I see it. Multiple threads on the supposed "health risks" of immigration, coupled with some dodgy (unattributed) statistics about numbers of Irish people wanting health screening on entry.

You set off my xenophobe meter.

coupled with some dodgy (unattributed) statistics about numbers of Irish people wanting health screening on entry.

I linked to my source already but here it is again -http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/immigrants-should-be-screened-on-arrival-poll-26675941.html

They can communicate using Klingon for all I care. Once they don't infect me with an infectious disease, commit serious crimes or live off the state I dont care what they do.

1. Don't sleep with the "dirty" foreigners then
    2. Police them like everyone else and
    3. Understand what the rules are for claiming Social Welfare (we have been over this over and over but your pernicious little meme persists)
    There was a PrimeTime report about the reintroduction of tuberculosis into our society. Long story short was that If there was a serious outbreak of tuberculosis in this country, the conclusion was that we would be royally f*cked. The last tuberculosis ward was shut in 2006 iinm and only three beds are left to cater for sufferers.

IF. There is no evidence of serious outbreaks. TB is much more treatable than ever before. Didn't someone (Cavehill Red) claim that TB wards were re-opening? yet you admit that wards are shut. Could you keep your panic-producing stories straight please.
    As great as it would be to have all our recent arrivals fairly competent at the lingo, not least for social cohesion, its not half as important as containing infectious diseases.

Containing? As in locked up? Please do explain.

Ah yes, 500 people answer an obviously "better-world" question. Tell me how many people would answer yes to "Do you think all people should be happy?" Polls like this have all the substance of a marshmallow.

What screening do you propose and why?

• Advertisement

1. Don't sleep with the "dirty" foreigners then
    2. Police them like everyone else and
    3. Understand what the rules are for claiming Social Welfare (we have been over this over and over but your pernicious little meme persists)

IF. There is no evidence of serious outbreaks. TB is much more treatable than ever before. Didn't someone (Cavehill Red) claim that TB wards were re-opening? yet you admit that wards are shut. Could you keep your panic-producing stories straight please.

Containing? As in locked up? Please do explain.

1 - Silly comment.
    2 - Health screening of newcomers is a form of policing.
    3 - Im well aware of the rules of welfare. Are you one of those "they have to work for two years before they receive a stipend" lads ?

According to Jennifer DeWan of the migrants right centre - migrants with any work history in Ireland are entitled to supplementary welfare allowance for six months. If they have worked more than 12 months in the State they are entitled to the allowance as long as they are looking for work.
    For migrants without a work history, they can apply for the one-off and discretionary payment in cases of hardship. (Source: The Irish Times 7th June. )

4 - There have been numerous outbreaks of Tuberculosis around the country. Most notably was the outbreak in a Cork school in 2010. Many commentators and doctors have called for health screenings of all immigrants due to such outbreaks.

5 - The state can legally lock up a citizen, never mind an immigrant, against their will if infected with a disease that the state believes there to be a significant chance of contagion.

Advertisement