Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Obliged to carry DoE cert?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I love the way some consider the signature a verification factor, as if the DoT has a graphanalyst on staff, loupe at the ready.

I'd be surprised if they do even a rudimentary comparison with the cert from the last sale. Knowing Irish efficiencies, the documents are probably either destroyed or stored in a massive warehouse in the middle of Leitrim; scanning to commence in 2048.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

so whats the minimum you have to keep in the car?

driving licence?

To legally drive an Irish registered car in Ireland you need to display tax disc, insurance disc (10 days after the certificate was issued) and NCT disc if car is over 4 years old.
    You have to carry a driving licence with you.

If you drive abroad, you also need to carry registration certificate and insurance certificate.

But except from discs, nothing is advisable to be left in car.

CiniO wrote: »
    Trust me. There are people out there, for whom all those things are easy. It's their job (stealing cars) and they are qualified and good at it, like we are qualified and good at our jobs.

I think you are mistaken by thinking they are so good that they will just get away so easily though, they wont.
    I think your imagination of car theft is some scum junkie wearing old hoodie and begging on the street normally.
    I think you might be greatly mistaking.

On the face of it they may not look like scumbags but they will all have a record as long as there arm and be known to gardai.
    Are you sure?
    Imagine you buy a car off me. We sign a logbook, post it, I hand you the keys and off you go.
    Then 5 minutes later, I ring the gards and tell them that my car was stolen. My keys were taken off my pocket, and car disappeared. My logbook was in the glove box.
    Gards start their investigation and find out in a while that car has new owner.
    So they go to you, and you tell them that you just bought this car.

Do you think they will believe me?
    Or will they believe you?

You see this is key, if you are a well respected person, never in trouble with the law, good job etc then the chances of your doing the above are almost zero so in a genuine case things are immediately in your favour. If you are a known criminal/general trouble maker, the type of person to try what you describe above then things will of course be very different.

There are many other things too, like was the car advertised, was there a record of phone calls between you and the person buying the car, did the person buying the car withdraw money from their account or get a loan recently, do they have the spare key (any key, again you assume they will get there hands on keys, good luck to them getting my keys) etc. I think you are over underestimating greatly the difficulty in pulling of the scam of stealing a car and transferring it into your name.
    I only keep what I'm required to keep (discs).
    Insurance and NCT certs are in safe place.

i.e. a locked glove box. I keep a lot more than just car documents in the glove box, my passport for instance never leaves the glove box unless in use. Why put yourself through the hassle of having to produce an insurance cert when you can have it with you? The glove box is the place for your insurance cert and I chose to keep everything else there too as I like everything in one place.

I also travel between home and where I rent quite a lot and never know when I will need certain things so the obvious place to keep them is the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Scouserfan

Could take years to come into effect.

It will be active in sept. pal works in vtn centre. Tells me live cameras filming tests going on as we'll as live updates of national vehicle driver file whole booking in test

• Advertisement
Advertisement