Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting down a tree

Options
  • 07-06-2013 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a tree cut down? There is one on my road, it's big enough so there's always a shade on the front of the house, never mind the noise of the birds at 5am every morning! Add to that, it has some sort of sap that falls in little drops on the cars around. My car is in the drive and is covered in it. Anybody know if the council would just laugh at my reasons?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Termites.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lisademps

What you mean termites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Chances are some of your neighbours will want to keep it.

In my parents estate there's crab apple trees, every year when they fall the roads are covered in purple sludge. A neighbour around the back insisted they are kept, so the council won't remove them. Pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Copper nails in the roots. Sneaky but effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

It probably has some kind of protection order on it but the council have to trim it back if it's becoming over grown or a hindrance akaik.

• Advertisement

Hi lisademps, welcome to After hours, if you only want serious answers I'm afraid you're in the wrong forum and I would suggest you try the regional forum for wherever you live, otherwise have a read of the charter and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

sabotage it so that it becomes unsafe and NEEDS to be cut down

easier than it sounds.....

ring bark it.

OK, basic biology.....

all the water up and food down travels through the tubes in the outer 1/2" of the tree. all the wood in the middle is dead and does nothing but give support.

so.

go out at 2am and cut a ring, 1/2" wide all the way round the tree.

or be extra stealthy and stagger the cuts at different heights.

above the cuts.... no more water rising, so the tree will die.

i'll take ages before anyone notices.... the leaves will die back, then not grow new leaves in Spring.

call the council & tell 'em its a safety hazard and they'll send some guys in hard hats to take it down.

of course this is vandalism so you shouldn't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Hi lisademps, welcome to After hours, if you only want serious answers I'm afraid you're in the wrong forum and I would suggest you try the regional forum for wherever you live, otherwise have a read of the charter and enjoy!
    *stops sharpening axe*

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lisademps

Yes it deciduous so leaves all over the car too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Ah C'mon leaf it alone...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

lisademps wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is possible to get a tree cut down?

No its not possible. Nobody in the history of mankind has done this...ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I was going to cut down a tree but I took an arrow to the knee.

Is the tree older than the house? Not being smart but if it is, I'd have more sympathy for the tree having it's sunlight blocked by the house than vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

lisademps wrote: »
    Yes it deciduous so leaves all over the car too!

It probably doesn't make that decision lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Funkfield wrote: »

William Tell on the sauce again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Is the tree older than the house? Not being smart but if it is, I'd have more sympathy for the tree having it's sunlight blocked by the house than vice versa.

Anyone who sympathises with a tree is not right in the head.

I however sympathise with bacteria when I wash my hands and am perfectly sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

kneemos wrote: »
    William Tell on the sauce again?

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Move house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

In my locality there was a huge tree. One winters day it fell and killed someone. Then miraculously it was cut down very soon after.

Typically Irish.

There are hundreds of trees growing dangerously high all around the city yet the council will give their usual excuses.

I'm not saying cut them all down as the benefits of trees are obvious but they should be trimmed back at a certain point.

tin79 wrote: »
    Anyone who sympathises with a tree is not right in the head.

I however sympathise with bacteria when I wash my hands and am perfectly sane.

I do sympathise with trees, I'm not ashamed of it. Poor old fecker moseying along for hundreds of years minding his own business, then some young upstart wants to cut him down for blocking the sunlight, it's not like it deliberately planted itself outside their house to cause minor discomfort.

Trees are an important landmark too, and if marked on an OS map should be saved as much as possible, in case technology ever goes belly up.

Finally, ask someone where trees can't grow what they think of people who cut them down for the hell of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If it's blocking light you may have something to nag the Council about,make sure to offer to pay for it when you ask them.Don't forget to get you're local TD and or councillor to stick their oar in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Burn your house down.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

I do sympathise with trees, I'm not ashamed of it. Poor old fecker moseying along for hundreds of years minding his own business, then some young upstart wants to cut him down for blocking the sunlight, it's not like it deliberately planted itself outside their house to cause minor discomfort.

I could cut down the tree for OP. But i refuse for this reason

Trees take a long time to grow back and you have to take out the roots if you want to plant something else there. Long after the upstart is gone there will be no replacement tree

Poor homeless birds :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Who owns the land it's on? Is it council land or private?

If its council sure try them, they might humour you. You could get a few loads of timber from it too.

Not just birds, trees are a very important factor int the life of all kinds of flora fauna, from squirrels to mushrooms.

If a tree is dead or dying, or a danger to humans then by all means cut it down, but if it it's just a bit of an inconvenience I say live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I know, my ex is always looking for money off me since she got evicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Leaf it alone, it won't do you any harm. It's bark is worse than it's bite and so on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Funkfield wrote: »

How'd getting married stop you?

• Advertisement

Not just birds, trees are a very important factor int the life of all kinds of flora fauna, from squirrels to mushrooms.

If a tree is dead or dying, or a danger to humans then by all means cut it down, but if it it's just a bit of an inconvenience I say live and let live.

I'm picturing something out of a disney movie now!
    Plazaman wrote: »
    I know, my ex is always looking for money off me since she got evicted.

Some chicks eh.

Advertisement