Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People not looking where they are going.

Options
  • 06-06-2013 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

So I was running for my bus today up Burlington Plaza. Some lad and a girl and wandering along side by side. I'm not a small or sleek guy when I run it's a bit like the truffle shuffle off of the Goonies. Guy sees me coming straight for him and I'm thinking he'll drop back a bit and move slightly over to let me past.

Does he fcuk... carries on like a Muppet I go as far over to the wall as I can and slightly clip him. Charming lady he is with shouts 'fcuker' at me down the road - fair enough - as insults go its not too bad.

Arrive at my bus barely in time to wait the ten minutes until it leaves.

Now I'm constantly bumping shoulders with people. I don't mean to; I walk very quickly and at 18 stone and 6'2" I'm not easy to miss. I'm always aware of my surroundings and it's rare any one walking faster than me or towards me, when I'm wandering along in a group will have to ask me to move I always let people past. I also always move as far over as I can without brushing a wall or walking in the road.

I fecking hate having to stop every 250m to let some dunder head wake up and move out of the way. Am I being very rude?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

You were rude, but I don't blame ya. I've the same problem with many many people. People are knobs, knock em all down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Wait for influx of Italian/Spanish/French teens arriving on our shores next month :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I walk very quickly and at 18 stone and 6'2" I'm not easy to miss.

You should get a cowcatcher installed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I saw a person with a huge Goonies tattoo in full colour on their calf muscle yesterday, It looked sh1te altogether. Rotten

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

YFlyer wrote: »
    Wait for influx of Italian/Spanish/French teens arriving on our shores next month :mad:

Sorry they don't count. I saw some of them knock over a little old lady once and not even the minder helped her up. I pick the centre and just go for it with them - I know that's twatish but seriously their doing it deliberately. Your normal city centre wander is just being thick.

I have to admit being a bit impatient with people I catch up with. If I'm in a good mood I'll say excuse me please but on occasion I've barged. Not proud of that. I know that's wrong. I also have to admit to sneaking up on the odd person and saying loudly "excuse me please" and having a bit of a giggle when they jump out of their skins. I assume this is how scum-bags find it so easy to nick bags/mobile phones.

I'm more talking about the walking towards each other, them two abreast and me fat man a breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭lau1247

just shout "hot water coming through", they'll likely to part like you are Moses..

PS: it will work better with hot water :D

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

I pick the centre and just go for it with them - I know that's twatish but seriously their doing it deliberately. Your normal city centre wander is just being thick..

I do something similar; if an entire path is blocked and the road is busy, I make eye contact with someone in the group and walk straight towards them, not quickly or anything, normal pace but in a way that suggests I'm not going to stop.

Ordinarily, I have no problem stepping into the road to avoid a large group, it adds a few feet to my journey and I forget about the whole encounter a minute down the road (i'm sure I was part of groups that took up whole paths when I was younger). But if I'm distracted or the road is busy/dangerous, I have no problem walking through people that refuse to allow anyone pass. A well-placed (though angry) "Perdóneme" or "Scusi" goes a long way as well :)

My current pet-peeve when it comes to moving through crowds are people who stop dead in the street, blocking traffic completely. I work near the George st./Dame st. intersection and people are always doing this. There are many angry "excuse me"s, tapped shoulders and shoulders barged on that street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

This is one of my current pet peeves ever since I strained ankle ligaments a few months ago stepping off the footpath when out jogging to pass two women chatting and power-walking who were taking up the entire footpath. Surely they could have had some consideration and moved in, especially seeing as the footpath was running along one of the busiest roads in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

"So I was running for my bus today up Burlington Plaza"

Is this relevant to the story?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Chucken wrote: »

Yes I might have been more forgiving, or more difficult to spot if walking. It's also my fecking story! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

I thought there was some sort of unwritten rule.

When walking towards each other -

1 on 1 = Both move to one side, though try not to choose same side then you end up with that awkward, "Ugh excuse me, ugh sorry" crap.

1 on 2 = 2 move over as far to one side to allow room for the one. If the pavement is not wide enough for all three to pass, then one of the 2 moves back slightly and allows oncomer to pass.

2 on 2 = Same as 1 on 2

After that it's try to be courteous and use sense.

What I hate is walking towards three abreast, particularly foreigners, they never move. So I will aim for the middle and invariably shoulder one of them. They could have avoided it and they were in the wrong. I get a sense of righteousness when shouldering through a group when they know they are in the wrong.

I love when it's those big groups of foreigners who don't seem to understand pavement strategy. Barge on through and if you hear someone say something in a foreign language trying to make it look like it was your fault try have a retort in their language. You can pretty much tell someones nationality. Here's my quick guide which I find useful for the streets of Dublin. Clip their shoulders and if they say something directed at you (you'll know if it is even if you don't understand it) just reply -

Spanish - high pitched fast talking - ¡vete a la mierda!

Italian - love themseleves, animated hands - vaffanculo!

Brazilian - sounds like Spanish spoken in a Russian accent - filha da puta!

Generic Eastern European - cold, lifeless eyes - Otebis' (Actually Russian but it covers all bases as they understand it and the fact that you are using will piss them off even more)

If they look mediterranean/hispanic and you're not sure go for the aul "puta". Simple and effective. If you haven't a clue where they're from...well then I think "fúck" is universal.

I find it nice to be able to be culturally accepting when instructing people to move the fúck over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I really don't get the brain patterns of the people walking 2(+) abreast on a narrow path, who see me coming, but don't make any space until I am milimetres from contact.
    After a few accidents and many years of wear and tear, my knees can't do swerve anymore and they don't like sudden stops, but I still move at a fair clip (faster than these young fellas can imagine).
    When I was younger (and wearing an armoured bike jacket) I just walked through them, but I grew up a bit, and also realised that it actually hurt me a bit anyway.
    When I'm in a hurry, I still try to pick a line along busy street where I'll miss all the clusters of people, slow zigzagging to avoid collisions, but I don't get the oblivious shufflers who have no idea where they're going.
    As for the auld ones with the umbrellas :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 y0pperz

Why do people constantly feel the need to publish their weight and height on internet forums?

y0pperz wrote: »
    Why do people constantly feel the need to publish their weight and height on internet forums?

Dunno.

4'11/41.4kg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Chucken wrote: »

A story is full of many little details, some bits are needed at a later date.

Don't ever read The Silmarillion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Candie wrote: »
    Dunno.

4'11/41.4kg

Hi Bilbo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Sorry, wrong thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Do you see it all the time?

5''10 11 Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Concerned about your weight? Anxious about your height?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I agree 100% OP, the skangers should be sterilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Candie wrote: »
    Dunno.

4'11/41.4kg

Hi beautiful ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Sometimes when i meet two people coming towards me and one wont move over i just stop and stand. While eyeballing them. They then have to walk around me. Sometimes i get dirty looks and sometimes they just.. sort of.. s p a c e around me! Like they were barely in this dimension! I get a vague "oh sorry!" As they momentarily tune back into this dimension. A bit like the tv show Fringe if any of you have seen it.

The stop and stand thing really does work. Not out in the sticks though, cows just don't give a sh1t!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I'm the one you'll meet on the street that is weaving from side to side as if drunk but just trying to avoid everyone. Really hate bumping into anyone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Running clothesline for anyone that gets in your way, lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This is one of my current pet peeves ever since I strained ankle ligaments a few months ago stepping off the footpath when out jogging to pass two women chatting and power-walking who were taking up the entire footpath. Surely they could have had some consideration and moved in, especially seeing as the footpath was running along one of the busiest roads in town.
    Why were you jogging on "one of the busiest roads in town"? I guess no one could admire your glutes otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Aced_Up

Nothing like a firm booming 'excuse me' to get em moving.

Slow walkers annoy the crap out of me, bumbling along. But it's upto me to weave in and out in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

this just in. people are idiots,. who'd have thunk it :confused:

knock them down like skittles. fuck em

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

If a group are blocking the path because they have stopped to look at something , I usually walk up and say public path and they usually cop on then and make room.

Advertisement