Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom & Gerry V's Itchy & Scratchy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Animation is built on plagiarism. If it weren't for someone plagiarizing the Honeymooners we wouldn't have the Flintstones. If someone hadn't ripped off Sergeant Bilko, there'd be no Top Cat. Huckleberry Hound, Chief Wiggum, Yogi Bear? Hah! Andy Griffith, Edward G. Robinson, Art Carney.

The postal service ripped-off Manic Mailman as well! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

There's a vast difference between a homage or a reference to something, and stealing or plagiarising something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

There's a vast difference between a homage or a reference to something, and stealing or plagiarising something.

yeah, retweeting is referencing something, quote retweeting and removing the original tweeter is plagiarizing!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When you steal from one it's plagiarising when you steal from many it's research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

McGarnicle- Every Clint Eastwood character

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Animation is built on plagiarism. If it weren't for someone plagiarizing the Honeymooners we wouldn't have the Flintstones. If someone hadn't ripped off Sergeant Bilko, there'd be no Top Cat. Huckleberry Hound, Chief Wiggum, Yogi Bear? Hah! Andy Griffith, Edward G. Robinson, Art Carney.

Plagiarsim carries a lot of negative connotations and I don't think it's always right to use it in this context.

More of a remix. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Thread needs more Tom and Jerry. Genius cartoon, nearly up to Bugs Bunny standards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Was streaming a few episodes of Tom & Gerry for a bit of crack, to reminisce so to speak of my younger self.

I reckon Matt Groening stole Itchy & Scratchy from Tom & Gerry or got the idea from them. they were made in the 1940's which I was a bit shocked about ( according to wiki )
    It's Tom & Jerry, and yes, The Simpsons is full of references to other bits of film, TV and art. Let's take just one episode, Holidays of Future Passed, and there's a long list of references here. The title, for example, is not a mistake (passed / past), it's a reference to a 1967 Moody Blues album. Add in bits of Andy Rooney (US TV jornalist) and the Mad Max films. These nods to other sources are one reason why The Simpsons is popular with a wide spectrum of viewers.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Wattle wrote: »
    What about Poochie? He's a rockin dude.

Yeah, whatever "Roy"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sure the fax machine is nothing but a waffle iron with a phone attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Tom and jerry of course!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ned Flanders once called Itchy & Scratchy 'Impy and Chimpy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Quentin Tarantino 'homages" movies, but not really, just rips them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Tom & Jerry??

Tame enough when compared to Pepe le Pew..... teaching children how they should never take no for an answer...... ever :eek:

blackwhite wrote: »
    Tom & Jerry??

Tame enough when compared to Pepe le Pew..... teaching children how they should never take no for an answer...... ever :eek:

Yeah...the same way Wile E Coyote taught children to use explosives

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Animaniacs. Teaching kids that a chicken with a hat on looks like a human...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

In terms of modern cartoons, both Johnny Test and Norman from Fireman Sam are responsible for the current generation of children being general rapscallions and smart-arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Yeah...the same way Wile E Coyote taught children to use explosives

The same way Bugs Bunny dresses up as a Southern Belle.

Off topic (slightly) Bugs Bunny was gay.
    The dresses, the smoking jacket. I had this told to me a few years ago by some gay friends.
    He was always putting lipstick on a kissing poor old Elmer Fudd.

The same way Bugs Bunny dresses up as a Southern Belle.

Off topic (slightly) Bugs Bunny was gay.
    The dresses, the smoking jacket. I had this told to me a few years ago by some gay friends.
    He was always putting lipstick on a kissing poor old Elmer Fudd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Disgruntled Goat had his moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

How could you leave out Stingy and Battery ! , they bite and light and bite and light and light, yadda yadda you know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Its pronounced nuclear.... nuclear.

Advertisement