Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Wan (not from Waterford but from Dublin) makes it big!

Options
  • 05-06-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

President Obama is to appoint flame-haired colleen Samantha Power, originally from Waterford, as the new US Ambassador to the United Nations.

She is a respected academic and Pulitzer Prize winning author, on the strength of her book A Problem from Hell- America in the age of Genocide, which discusses major murderous international crises from the 1990s including Rwanda and Bosnia.

Doubtless many in Ireland will be happy for her but one constituency that will not be best pleased is the Zionist lobby in the US. They regard Power as an anti-semite and Israel hater, largely on the basis of an answer she once gave on TV to a hypothetical question on what should be US policy if genocide threatened in the Middle East. She said that America should support, with military backup, the existence of an independent Palestinian state even if it angered a "prominent domestic constituency", which the more paranoid supporters of Israel took to mean a US military invasion of what they like to call "Judea and Samaria".

Some outraged pro-Israel bloggers have already taken to the Twittersphere . It's only going to get more apoplectic. :D

Interestingly enough the only other country previously to be represented in the UN by an Irish born diplomat was Israel, whose future president Chaim Herzog, who grew up on Dublin's South Circular Road, was that country's UN ambassador in the 1970s.

I'm going to enjoy this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Waterford? I just watched her speaking on the TV and she said how she arrived in the USA with a "strong Dublin brogue"?

I was surprised because she sounds 100% american now. Not a hint of Ireland.

Still I'm very proud anyway even if she isnt from Dublin...

Apparently the Republicans are going to go after her Hard. Its not going to be an easy nomination process at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Hmmm... Obama's US world apology tour -- version 2.0?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Dublin alright - as per wikipedia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Madd Finn wrote: »
    President Obama is to appoint flame-haired colleen Samantha Power, originally from Waterford, as the new US Ambassador to the United Nations.

She is a respected academic and Pulitzer Prize winning author, on the strength of her book A Problem from Hell- America in the age of Genocide, which discusses major murderous international crises from the 1990s including Rwanda and Bosnia.

Doubtless many in Ireland will be happy for her but one constituency that will not be best pleased is the Zionist lobby in the US. They regard Power as an anti-semite and Israel hater, largely on the basis of an answer she once gave on TV to a hypothetical question on what should be US policy if genocide threatened in the Middle East. She said that America should support, with military backup, the existence of an independent Palestinian state even if it angered a "prominent domestic constituency", which the more paranoid supporters of Israel took to mean a US military invasion of what they like to call "Judea and Samaria".

Some outraged pro-Israel bloggers have already taken to the Twittersphere . It's only going to get more apoplectic. :D

Interestingly enough the only other country previously to be represented in the UN by an Irish born diplomat was Israel, whose future president Chaim Herzog, who grew up on Dublin's South Circular Road, was that country's UN ambassador in the 1970s.

I'm going to enjoy this!

WHAT??????:confused:
    Cheeky fookers trying to steal or talent...She's a DUB!!!!!

Samantha Power
    Director for Multilateral Affairs
    Samantha Power is an Irish American academic and writer, and, following an appointment by President Barack Obama on June 5, 2013, the designate to be the 28th United States Ambassador to the United Nations. Wikipedia
    Born: September 21, 1970 (age 42), Castleknock, Ireland
    Spouse: Cass Sunstein (m. 2008)
    Children: Declan Sunstein
    Books: "A Problem from Hell": America and the Age of Genocide, More
    Movies and TV shows: A Prince Among Men, Rush to War
    Education: Harvard Law School (1999), Yale University, Harvard

i ask NAY....DEMAND!!!! that the mods change the scurrilous title of this thread to something more appropriate. I suggest Yet another fine Dublin woman makes it big....suck it culchies:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

she's not from waterford, at all....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Sorry. I seem to remember some connection with Waterford when profiles about her appeared in the Irish papers when she started to become well known a few years ago.

Did she grow up there? Or perhaps just get married there? Maybe some Dessies can cast some light on this. :)

Anyway. The howls from the dark side of American politics have started already. Keep 'em coming.

Anyway. The howls from the dark side of American politics have started already. Keep 'em coming.

The "dark side" asks of you, in a non-howling manner... What qualfies her for the top postion of US Ambassador to the UN?

Amerika wrote: »
    The "dark side" asks of you, in a non-howling manner... What qualfies her for the top postion of US Ambassador to the UN?

I don't think its her "qualifications" or lack of them that upset the righteously apoplectic. And what are the "qualifications" for such a post anyway? Is there some certificate you have to take?

What "qualifications" other than a dangerously self-righteous paranoia did that idiot John Bolton, to name but one, ever have for the post?

I don't think its her "qualifications" or lack of them that upset the righteously apoplectic. And what are the "qualifications" for such a post anyway? Is there some certificate you have to take?

So I take it she has none?
    What "qualifications" other than a dangerously self-righteous paranoia did that idiot John Bolton, to name but one, ever have for the post?
    Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security, 2001-2005; Assistant Secretary for International Organization Affairs, 1989-93, Department of State. Good enough?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

She's a dub and for a few years in the 70s I went to school with her. I always wondered what happened to her :D

• Advertisement

Assistant Secretary for International Organization Affairs, 1989-93, Department of State. Good enough?

ROFLMAO. That sounds like Jim Hacker's job from Yes Minister, before he became Prime Minister. And I think it was meant to be so obtuse as to raise a laugh.

So Ms Power (or Mrs Susstein if you like) has been a national security advisor, a student of international affairs and an award winning author on a related topic. For a job like "Ambassador to the United Nations" where her role will be to identify America's interests on the issues that arise on a day to day basis and to advocate America's position, as laid down by the administration, she seems eminently qualified. In as much as there is a qualification for such a role.

Assistant secretary of International organization affairs????? As a great American of yesteryear might say "You CANNOT be serious, maaan!!!" :eek: :eek: :eek:

Furthermore, I think it is an inherent part of an ambassador's role to project a positive and respetable image of their country to the international community. America has not always done that well. Some of its diplomats have come across as supercilious, paranoid, xenophobic, resentful small-minded lightweights who project an image of a dangerous and unlikeable people (I'm thinking in particular of guys like Bolton, Bremer and that guy described as a "retired US diplomat" who lived in Ireland and was frequently on TV during the Iraq war harranguing the Irish in general for being Anti-American and Anti Semitic. I think his name was George Dempsey)

But what's not to like about a leggy Irish red head?

Still, I'm sure the neocon nitwits will find something.

A student of international affairs, author… that counts for diddly squat, as we say over here. And you sure about national security advisor? That’s the job he’s giving to Susan Rice (who coincidentally has the weakest credentials of any national security advisor in the history of the office)… the other half of Obama’s “Politics First, Foreign Policy Last” scheme. I do know Power was a human rights adviser (part of the The U.S. Department of Blame America First) for Obama, which is as slim pickings as you can get to argue for the vaulted post. She has basically zero qualifications to serve as our ambassador to the UN, unless being a left wing militant who has never show any interest in defending America is all that’s now needed. Thank god the US constitution protects us, and trumps any damage she would commit us to.

But I will give you one point… John McCain thinks she would be fine for the job. And McCain thought Sarah Palin would make a fine VP and President if need be… therefore I guess I should hold judgement on Power for the time being. ;)

Kudos to the mods for doing the right thing and amending the thread title. Dublin gets too much bad press lately so we needed this to balance our karma or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Why?

Why do you "take it she has none"?

Because someone on the internet doesnt answer your question?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Power

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Why?

Why do you "take it she has none"?

Because someone on the internet doesnt answer your question?

I think you know that comment was posted to the particular individual, and was based on the response to a question I had asked.

Regardless... No, I don’t think she is unqualified for the post because of that response. The job of US ambassador to the UN should be a job for someone keen in diplomacy, tact, and rules and procedures… not a zealot. Remember the Hillary Clinton is a monster comment, which forced her to resign? Remember the comment that we should attack Israel to create a Palestine state? Do you think those represent the hearts and minds of Americans?

Let’s face it… Obama’s pick is about power, not Power.

(and before the comment is made... although I liked Bolton, and think he was far more qualified than Power, I didn't think he was a good pick either for ambassador to the UN)

I think you know that comment was posted to the particular individual, and was based on the response to a question I had asked.

Regardless... No, I don’t think she is unqualified for the post because of that response. The job of US ambassador to the UN should be a job for someone keen in diplomacy, tact, and rules and procedures… not a zealot. Remember the Hillary Clinton is a monster comment, which forced her to resign? Remember the comment that we should attack Israel to create a Palestine state? Do you think those represent the hearts and minds of Americans?

Let’s face it… Obama’s pick is about power, not Power.

Did she actually call on Israel to be attacked?

old hippy wrote: »

edit... Sorry, I should have noted that this is a clip of Samantha Power in a interview recommending that one option is for the US to put in a meaningful military presence into Israel in order to forcibly create a Palestine state.

At no point in that clip does she call for Israel to be "attacked".

She comes across as balanced and sensible. Over to you.

At no point in that clip does she call for Israel to be "attacked".

She comes across as balanced and sensible. Over to you.

Should we reclassify what we did in Iraq to us just putting in a meaningful millitary presence over there?

Should we reclassify what we did in Iraq to us just putting in a meaningful millitary presence over there?

I have an American parent but I'm Irish so I don't recall "we" doing anything to Iraq.

As I said; at no point in that clip does she call for Israel to be "attacked".

There's no doubt that the US should be more friendly to the idea of a Palestinian state, though. The apartheid that operates in Israel cannot be justified.

• Advertisement

I have an American parent but I'm Irish so I don't recall "we" doing anything to Iraq.
    I'm a US citizen - just like Power, and that's the "we" I was referring to. You really didn't think that was the case?
    As I said; at no point in that clip does she call for Israel to be "attacked".
    If we (America) sent in a meaningful military presence into England in order to forcibly establish a completely seperate state for Scotland, would they say... Oh thank god we aren't being attacked?
    There's no doubt that the US should be more friendly to the idea of a Palestinian state, though. The apartheid that operates in Israel cannot be justified.
    I'd say we disagree on that.

I'm a US citizen, and that's the "we" I was referring to. You really didn't think that was the case?

If we (America) sent in a meaningful military presence into the England in order to establish a completely seperate state for Scotland, would they say... Oh thank god we aren't being attacked?

Scottish independence is an entirely different situation. As far as I'm aware, there is no apartheid or wall (bar Hadrian's) in place. There are no attacks on Glasgow (unlike Gazza) and white phosperous isn't used on Scottish people when they rile against the status quo.

Samantha Power knows the score and I welcome her appointment. I say this as an Irishman who's also "proud" of his American heritage :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD REMINDER FROM THE CHARTER:
    Dr Galen wrote: »
    Posting a link to a video hosted elsewhere does not constitute discussion. Not everyone is able to watch videos, for technical or other reasons, and points raised on a video are almost impossible to refute. It's OK to link to a video, but it should be accompanied by a detailed summary of its contents and arguments, and you must be prepared to discuss it.

Scottish independence is an entirely different situation. As far as I'm aware, there is no apartheid or wall (bar Hadrian's) in place. There are no attacks on Glasgow (unlike Gazza) and white phosperous isn't used on Scottish people when they rile against the status quo.

You're, as we say over here, "moving the goal posts" my friend. It would be considered an attack, wouldn't it?

No.

I'm a US citizen - just like Power, and that's the "we" I was referring to. You really didn't think that was the case?

If we (America) sent in a meaningful military presence into England in order to forcibly establish a completely seperate state for Scotland, would they say... Oh thank god we aren't being attacked?

The difference here is that the people of Scotland are being given the choice via a referendum as to whether they wish to separate and become an independant state. The Palestinian people are not being given that chance.

If a Scottish person wishes to leave the country they can, If a pregnant Scottish woman wished to cross the border into the UK to get medical treatment she would not be held at the crossing for hours by armed soldiers for hours on end in pain while the soldiers decide if she is worthy.

bumper234 wrote: »
    The difference here is that the people of Scotland are being given the choice via a referendum as to whether they wish to separate and become an independant state. The Palestinian people are not being given that chance.

If a Scottish person wishes to leave the country they can, If a pregnant Scottish woman wished to cross the border into the UK to get medical treatment she would not be held at the crossing for hours by armed soldiers for hours on end in pain while the soldiers decide if she is worthy.

Ahhh, I see. So 15th Ocotber 1938 was just a liberation mission and not an attack.

Ahhh, I see. So 15th Ocotber 1938 was just a liberation mission and not an attack.

Ok not sure where you are going with this? Something happened 74 years ago and?????? Be more specific...which invasion are you talking about? What has this to do with the systematic apartheid that is forced upon the Palestinian people?:confused:

You're, as we say over here, "moving the goal posts" my friend. It would be considered an attack, wouldn't it?

You are basing your opposition to this fine, fwd thinking politician on the lie that she said Israel should be attacked. And you "moved the goal posts" by bringing in Scotland in the first place :rolleyes:, ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Jaysus there are people from outside Waterford called Power y'know !!!! ;-)

Advertisement