Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

good view of it passing a few minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

Maybe someone can confirm would I be right in saying we might be in with a chance to see another space chase this time with ISS and Soyuz TMA-10M?? ISS should be visible over Ireland late September when the module is due for launch? If so great view in store ;)

I know the ATV took several days to dock does anyone know if its the same procedure for a manned module or is it a few hours only? The less time it takes the less chance to see it but if it takes more than 4hrs we might catch the 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭apollo8

Mr CJ wrote: »
    Maybe someone can confirm would I be right in saying we might be in with a chance to see another space chase this time with ISS and Soyuz TMA-10M?? ISS should be visible over Ireland late September when the module is due for launch? If so great view in store ;)

I know the ATV took several days to dock does anyone know if its the same procedure for a manned module or is it a few hours only? The less time it takes the less chance to see it but if it takes more than 4hrs we might catch the 2?

Russia just recently implemented a launch to docking time of six hours(used to be 49)or four orbits.great news for the cosmonauts as soyuz is so cramped,not so good for stargazers though!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ger8

Great view of it here in Galway. And just as it was going over us we seen a shooting star. Great view. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

nice view here in Donegal too--I snapped couple pics but this much better one was taken by friend and night photography teacher Rita Wilson
    917A38618F5A41D0A59D8F3B42315F5E-0000355662-0003332077-01000L-35FE5CB3D53445F7B2ACB27E656DA272.jpg

Lough Veagh in Glenveagh Natl Park

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Very nice pic there. I notice it was taken in Glen Veigh National Park. I was there once and what struck me, besides it's beauty, is the distinct lack of houses or street lights or any sort of light pollution at all so I can only imagine what the sky looks like on a clear night from there. All the more reason for me to visit again I suppose because I don't think I've ever seen the night sky in a truly dark location such as that.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Very nice pic there. I notice it was taken in Glen Veigh National Park. I was there once and what struck me, besides it's beauty, is the distinct lack of houses or street lights or any sort of light pollution at all so I can only imagine what the sky looks like on a clear night from there. All the more reason for me to visit again I suppose because I don't think I've ever seen the night sky in a truly dark location such as that.

couldn't agree more--much of Donegal is like that and one of the major reasons I moved here 3 years ago from Belfast.I couldn't even tell you where the nearest traffic lights are-none for many many miles-none in Dungloe,Loch An Iuir,Annagry,Crolly,Bunbeg etc etc

I can see a handful of sporadic meteors any given cloudless night in half an hour, really looking forward to Perseids on Sunday/Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

couldn't agree more--much of Donegal is like that and one of the major reasons I moved here 3 years ago from Belfast.I couldn't even tell you where the nearest traffic lights are-none for many many miles-none in Dungloe,Loch An Iuir,Annagry,Crolly,Bunbeg etc etc

I can see a handful of sporadic meteors any given cloudless night in half an hour, really looking forward to Perseids on Sunday/Monday

Wow that sounds amazing. I feel sorry for the people who live in area's such as that that don't give the stars a second thought. The Milky Way stretching from horizon to horizon would be above them and it passes them by. The same goes for people everywhere of course but even more so in an area with such good dark skies such as yours. Obviously it's not an issue for you anyway Mr.Meteors. :)
    I just can't believe more people aren't interested to find out what they are looking at when they look up at night.

I'm trying my best to infect everyone I meet with the cosmic 'bug' --I nearly always have a meteorite or 2 in my pocket and most people are very interested.However you're always going to get those people who just aren't into it.Like the locals I sometimes meet who haven't been to a beach in 30 years or whatever--mind boggling with all these spectacular blue flag beaches around here.Ho hum--keep smilin'

(",)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Aced_Up wrote: »

thanks to this link by Aced_Up and a bit of trolling I found a great software for satellite & ISS tracker if anyone is interested: http://www.satsignal.eu/software/wxtrack.htm#icons
    Apparently with the .kml file that comes with it, once you register the software, you can overlay it to Google Earth? :cool:
    Otherwise if you download the wxtrackerGL as linked you can get a 3D interactive projection.

• Advertisement

I'm trying my best to infect everyone I meet with the cosmic 'bug' --I nearly always have a meteorite or 2 in my pocket and most people are very interested.However you're always going to get those people who just aren't into it.Like the locals I sometimes meet who haven't been to a beach in 30 years or whatever--mind boggling with all these spectacular blue flag beaches around here.Ho hum--keep smilin'

(",)

Is that a meteorite in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

if you have an android phone, go to the play store and search for satilite ar, it's free.
    it uses the phones compass to position the night sky as it is in front of you.
    displays the flight path of satilites, how much of the path will be visible and where along it the satilite is.
    very helpful app, you can single out the iss so it can be search for on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭lolie

Two more passes tonight if anyone looking out at 11.00 and 12.37 west to east.
    Also worth looking out for the HTV-4 cargo carrier that was launched on saturday and due to dock with the ISS tomorrow morning.
    It should be visible around the same time as the ISS as It chases it only not near as bright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

What time is it due tonight if at all? Just left Venezuala heading north now but can't make out the time for here..

Just saw it, quiet as a mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

MeteoritesEire.

That is a gorgeous picture, with or without the ISS. Well done Rita!!

Sorry. I've been away from the forum for ages due to having to be up early the past while for work....not a great recipe for Star Gazing....

Managed to stay up for a while to see some Perseid displays last night and on 7th I did manage to capture the ISS passing between Vega and Altair.

After practicing for a while before to get the right exposure, shutter speed etc.... I panacked and left the shuter open too long resulting in some star trailing.

What really amazed me though was the clarity that night and the way the Milky Way shone through....even though the shots were taken towards some light pollution in the South East....

Slightly darkened ISS pass 7th August 2013: (Vega and Lyra to the top right and Altair to the bottom left)

ISS_080713_Dark.JPG

The actual image captured (ISO 1600, 52sec, no tracking at 17mm):

ISS_070813_CR2_JPG%20-%20Copy.JPG

And the Milky Way that night without the ISS....:

Altair_Vega_Milky_070813%20-%20Copy.jpg

Oh...I wish I didn't need my sleep!!

Clear skies,
    Peter

Advertisement