Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS

Options
  • 05-06-2013 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭

Caught a lovely view of the ISS last night at 23:30. There'll be another pass low in the South at 22:45 tonight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Caught a lovely view of the ISS last night at 23:30. There'll be another pass low in the South at 22:45 tonight.

Snap! I was out looking at Saturn and I managed to get both of them in the same field of view in the binoculars as it passed 'underneath' it. What amazes me about the ISS is that it is up so high that people living as far away as France or even further can be looking at it at the same time as us here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭lolie

There are 4 visible passes of the ISS tonight which is rare enough, even rarer we get the weather for it.

lolie wrote: »
    There are 4 visible passes of the ISS tonight which is rare enough, even rarer we get the weather for it.

missed it last night, so cant wait for tonight, as you said Lolie its rare we get the weather for it:)

I always feel a sense of awe when I see it pass by. The amazing achievement of it all, astounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

lolie wrote: »

What times? TIA

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    What times? TIA

as OP said, 22.45 :)

• Advertisement

Jake1 wrote: »
    as OP said, 22.45 :)

Thanks, what's the 4 times about? 22.45...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Look out for it at 22:45, 00:20, 01:57 and 03:34.
    Go to http://www.heavens-above.com/ enter your location(use select from map link) and your away. Lots of passes in the next 10 days.
    Also check out the iridium flares link to.

Yup, just saw it there. Quiet as a mouse stealing across a carpet, minding it's own business as if we never even existed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,160 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

spotted it too, eventually

• Advertisement

Great view of it, sky was clear as anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Just watched it cross the southern sky. A little hazy but still good to see. Caught it through binos but I was shaking like a shitting dog unable to hold them still despite resting my elbows on a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tittybiscuits

Hi, just looked at this thread because I thought I saw it, about 0023 to the south (from Dublin). Just checked the ISS tracker site and it was over Iran 10 minutes later. I'm amazed at that, even though I knew it travelled fast...

An ATV-4 rocket called Albert Einstein launched into orbit yesterday.
    Its bringing supplies to the ISS, and is due to dock with it on the 15th.
    According to Heavens Above it should be visible each night as it chases the ISS until docking.

Showing visible passes for 11.05, 00.38, 02.11 and 03.45.
    Not as bright as the ISS so will be harder to spot

Think we're due a bright pass over head shortly, 00:19-00:25

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Aced_Up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Good sight of it there. Hear the ATV passes soon after?

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Good sight of it there. Hear the ATV passes soon after?

looks like its about to pass over

http://www.n2yo.com/satellite/?s=39175

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

saw it tonight but it just appeared midsky opposite the setting sun - it was the brightest thing in the sky until I noticed venus opposite - still it was bright here

Both looked very bright in the sky there, ATV looked a good bit faster but mustn't be much difference

Kind of surprised though that the ISS is so much higher, that website has ISS at 260 miles high and ATV at 166 miles

• Advertisement

Looks like a pass coming up at just after 23:30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

Pretty sure I seem this but might have been something else.. Is it visible to the naked eye? Saw a very bright like crossing the sky at an unreal speed that would easily rule it out bring a plane high up anyway

Carroller wrote: »
    Pretty sure I seem this but might have been something else.. Is it visible to the naked eye? Saw a very bright like crossing the sky at an unreal speed that would easily rule it out bring a plane high up anyway

Yes its visible to the naked eye. What time did you see it at and which direction in the sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

It was between 11:30pm-12:00am think it was travelling from southwest to north east if I worked it out properly!

Carroller wrote: »
    It was between 11:30pm-12:00am think it was travelling from southwest to north east if I worked it out properly!

Yeah sounds right - check the link I gave above. There was a pass WSW to E at 11.30pm last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Yeah sounds right - check the link I gave above. There was a pass WSW to E at 11.30pm last night.

Any pass tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

you just missed it 00:17

google spot the station and NASA will send you an email when it's going over your location

or even better --here it is http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I saw it at 00:22. It was very bright in the west and dimmed as it got overhead and slowly faded into the east. It was a long viewing time than what I normally catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

I have an iphone app called sputnik which is good for visible ISS approaches and iridium flares from your location. You can even set so an alarm will go off on your phone to tell you when to go outside.

In fact, just on fri night I was discussing this with my parents and fiancée as we were walking home from a party around midnight, and sure enough I checked the app and it was due to arrive within 90 secs!! Talk about timing, it was a clear night and the street lights weren't working.

I also use skyview, which doesn't tell you about visible passes, but does show you realtime locations of constellations, satellites, planets and other heavenly bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

Hey can anyone help??

First clear night within a few days it was a perfect night to watch the ISS after watching it pass it was time to watch the trailing ATV module at 23.10 just after this time as it was almost directly overhead there was an extremely bright satellite going from south-north direction I would guess that it was the same brightness if not brighter than ISS, it was almost perpindicular to the orbit of ISS, does anyone know what I was watching??

After checking sat tracker the only one nearby at that time was Intercosmos 25 but does not look like it.
    Strange also that these apps that tell you bright satellites in your area has no mention of this?

Cheers for any info... now time to check out the passing right now of ISS ;)

Advertisement