Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

272 people

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

seanm92 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be thrilled about paying it alright, I'll admit that. But your comparison is ridiculous IMO. How are those items comparable to a television??? They are all necessary for most people, a TV is for entertainment purposes and as such I would deem it discretionary rather than an essential item.

A closer comparison would maybe be a car, for which we pay a motor tax as well as being required to pay insurance. As I've previously stated I'd rather not have to pay a television licence but since we do, I do pay mine.

If you do happen to get caught, that's a risk you take, like it or not. What bothers me most is people moaning about bankers, and this that and the other whenever something like this comes up, as if they're some kind of victim, the only victims in this are the people who pay their licence, which no doubt is inflated by the many people who refuse to pay, and consequently, the costs of prosecuting these people IMO.
    I don't have a microwave or hoover and manage to do just fine without them. I also don't have a car and I get by using a bike and public transport. I live without tv but I would consider my laptop essential. Fair enough I could survive without boards or youtube but I'm doing an engineering degree and the laptop has been invaluable to me. I use it to research difficult topics and write up reports. Without it I would have wasted a lot of time looking for information in the library or spent a small fortune I don't have on books. There are computers in the university but they are not always available. Most college work is submitted online and once the deadline has passed you are screwed. Lecturers won't accept "I couldn't find a computer in time to submit my work" (they equate that to "the dog ate my homework") and would be incredulous if you didn't have a laptop.

I never watch RTE player so why should I have to pay a yearly fee for having a laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

0066ad wrote: »
    Those are acts not law.

Oh good, a freeman. Just what this thread needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

0066ad wrote: »
    Those are acts not law.

Well it's one Act. I suspect you might find some like minded company here:

http://freemanireland.ning.com/forum/topics/tv-licence-help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

You dont have to charge there companies a high tax rate but maybe we could al least charge them the 12.5% that the government is saying they charge

We do.

They are charged 12.5% on their taxable profits, the very same as every other Irish registered company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

feargale wrote: »
    Did the men go to court and give their story?

as far as I know they did... why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

Valetta wrote: »
    We do.

They are charged 12.5% on their taxable profits, the very same as every other Irish registered company.

So maybe you can explain to me how they put all there profits into a sister company and then get away with paying the proper amount of tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

So maybe you can explain to me how they put all there profits into a sister company and then get away with paying the proper amount of tax

It's called tax planning and is perfectly legal and every company is encouraged to do it.

The company I work for made nice profits last year but we have a zero CT liability- in fact we will be getting a refund.

Governments the world over encourage tax planning to reduce liabilities and encourage companies to relocate to their juristictions and create employment.

I would repeat that every Irish registered company is treated exactly the same for tax purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

as far as I know they did... why?
    !.
    As far as you know? It's an essential element of the case.
    Why? Because when people don't bother to show up the court hears just one side of the case and it would be foolish to expect the version heard to be favourable to the defendant. I mean the court in the absence of the defendant couldn't be expected to let it go saying " that's naughty, please don't do it again." So somebody was fined and didn't pay the fine. What would you expect to happen then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

When is the government going to concentrate on the real issues like people getting raped on facebook or sexting?

For people who don't know what sexting is it's when you send someone a sexual image. Even if the image gets deleted people can still see it, or actually they can't see it, is it true?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Allyall wrote: »
    They probably paid their TV licence.

We paid it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I never watch RTE player so why should I have to pay a yearly fee for having a laptop?

You don't have to, nor does anyone else.

"You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, the computer must not be able to receive a signal distributed by conventional television broadcasting networks, for example, cable, satellite or aerial." (taken from link below)

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

mod9maple wrote: »
    You don't have to, nor does anyone else.

"You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, the computer must not be able to receive a signal distributed by conventional television broadcasting networks, for example, cable, satellite or aerial." (taken from link below)

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html
    Does this mean that when it comes time to renew the license, I can just throw out the tv I don't use and then I won't have to pay the license anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Jailed for not having a tv license.
    Over 11000 brought to court.
    Not one banker in a prison cell tonight and Google and all the big players barely pay any tax.

But we must screw the ****ers who dont pay to watch Pat kenny etc etc

Country is a joke.

http://news.ie.msn.com/business/almost-11500-people-in-court-for-not-paying-tv-licence-1

Biggest joke of all is that 38 people thanked this sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

tdv123 wrote: »
    When is the government going to concentrate on the real issues like people getting raped on facebook or sexting?

For people who don't know what sexting is it's when you send someone a sexual image. Even if the image gets deleted people can still see it, or actually they can't see it, is it true?
    Problem is, any offence that is punished by the government can be topped by a more serious crime. So, why worry about serial killers when there are practitioners of genocide at work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Valetta wrote: »
    We do.

One problem is how "taxable" is defined. Obviously if you create too many loopholes for disregards, the effective rate will fall.

The ULA put in a Dáil Question which found that in 2010, €3.9bn was paid in respect of €61bn total taxable profits; this implies an effective aggregate rate of 6.5%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

feargale wrote: »
    !.
    As far as you know? It's an essential element of the case.
    Why? Because when people don't bother to show up the court hears just one side of the case and it would be foolish to expect the version heard to be favourable to the defendant. I mean the court in the absence of the defendant couldn't be expected to let it go saying " that's naughty, please don't do it again." So somebody was fined and didn't pay the fine. What would you expect to happen then?

well I did a bit of research feargale, just for you... and at least one of the three men did show up in court. He was the father of the boy who left a plastic behind at the recycling centre.
    “They wouldn’t listen and just brought me to court,” he said.

In Navan Court, he was fined €300 and ordered to pay €1,062 in costs and given two months to pay. “I couldn’t pay it as I’m unemployed and wouldn’t have enough time to pay it in instalments,” he said.

Mr ******* said that when the two months went by, he was taken to Wheatfield Prison, but was released when his wife went round various relatives to come up with the money to pay the fine.

I will find out if the other two men I referred to actually did make an appearance in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

What has the Bible got to say on the issue of TV licences?

God appeared to Moses out of a Bush

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

My licence was a month or two out just before I moved to Canada.

Biggest joke of all is that 38 people thanked this sh*te.

38 people agreed with myself. But you called it sh1te I think in this democratic state that we live in that is called majority rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭FreshKnickers

38 people agreed with myself. But you called it sh1te I think in this democratic state that we live in that is called majority rules.

I think theres probably more than 39 people on Boards tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Camrat

There should be a TV licence practical test cause my misses is useless with the remote......always end up watching s**t.

Hehe

I think theres probably more than 39 people on Boards tbh.

I never said there wasn't. I only stated that 38 people agree with myself

Advertisement