Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

double jobbing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Corkbah wrote: »
    I can understand it on both sides.

for low/semi-skilled jobs - there is plenty of work, and plenty of people unwilling to do the work for the rates of pay, thats their choice !! but for others they do not see it as work but more of an opportunity to increase their income.

if we take for example photographers - there has been a huge influx of photographers over the past 10-15yrs because photography is more affordable and science has made cameras do most of the work now, so people see photography as a means of making extra cash.

there are hundreds of "wedding photographers" who only shoot at weekends because they have a mon-fri job, these people offer weddings cheaper than the "professional" because they usually do not see or have all of the expenses that a full-time photographer would have and they supplement their photography with their normal job, if they can make money from their photography ...no harm (except to professional photographers)

of course, professional photographers charge excessive fee's for something which the camera takes care of these days, so people are changing and going for the cheaper option...which means the professional wedding photographer is going to disappear unless they adapt and charge less which means they have to work more in order to cover costs - it gets to saturation point.

people trying to get into the business are not willing to learn they simply want to earn and its only until people can tell the difference between a photographer and a professional photographer that changes can be made.

Ps. there's sometimes very little difference between a photographer and a professional photographer in terms of work produced.
    which are you ?
    if you think that it only takes 1000e dlsr to be a good photographer then think again twice,the pros use equipment that costs 10-15k at minimum,plus post processing takes hours to master,not what it looks like for the side.
    As for two jobs,people should mind their business,no one does that for fun,if she applied for two jobs it means she needs money,i know people that could easily scratch on one job,but yet they choose to do extra weekend work,not that they need it,but because they are saving and want to live above average in the future,so no why should anyone feel sorry for having to jobs while others dont bother getting needed skills for any job,and only moan :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

She's a hard worker, GET HER!!! BURN THE HARD WORKER!!! SPAWN OF SATAN HIMSELF!!!

I have loads of jobs. A day job which is technically part-time (it's teaching, so I get paid for far fewer hours than I actually work), another teaching job at another language school some evenings and then I do freelance tutoring, translation, editing and writing work for loads of different companies. I've had full-time jobs in past that paid so little, I needed a second job just to get by. Don't see what the issue is. If this woman is the best person for the job, fair play to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pawspaws

iguy wrote: »
    Do you double job or know anyone that does,
    What do you think of it, in our current situation when others without jobs are finding it hard to get jobs.
    I ask because a friend of mine has been working in a local convenience store,
    a pub/off licence opened recently and she applied for a job to work in the pub, a job which she got.
    Now what happened was the local people got wind that she has two jobs and they
    were giving out about, e.g. she has a job already and she should leave one and let someone else get the other one, this is a small village, 40 percent of the population is unemployed.
    What do ye think?

Fair play to her, showed the a lot of the village up for the lazy lot they clearly are if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

good on her.

it is something i would do out of college for a year or so to save up money for traveling. I see nothing wrong with that.

Plus let say i work 40 hours a week and when i come home i do a hobby that just happens to earn me a few quid a week. Writing or woodwork or programing or something like that. I would see it as a hobby. Not a job even though i am earning from it.
    No one can tell me i cant.

Fair play to her. Not something i would do long term but fair play to her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I'd say leave her off, She's doing what she wants to do, whether by choice or not is none of your business.

I prefer a working force than people that sit on the dole for years or month without the intent of getting a job or even making an effort.

She's doing good and I wish her the best of luck. Working two jobs is generally tough work, Tiresome and can be stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

pawspaws wrote: »
    Fair play to her, showed the a lot of the village up for the lazy lot they clearly are if you ask me.

Sounds to me like the Village has no openings left in the "Giving out" sector,usually to be found outside the bookies or off-licence in most Irish situations.

I was recently berated by a gentleman for charging him the appropriate Fare or his journey,when "all the other lads only charge me €1.65 cos they know I'm unemployed".

I spent the remainder of the day,driving past this lad as he stepped in and out of Boyle Sports for a smoke between bouts of relaxation.

Memo to myself....."All the other lads must be feckkin eejits".

Our most pressing issue is not the unemployed,it's the unemployable.

To help the former we have first to address the latter.

How are we to do that.....?

Beats the shytt outa me,but jeering at somebody who has the desire to seek out and perform multiple employments is certainly NOT the way to address anything ! :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Most people I know who are long term unemployed really couldn't give a rats ass and kick up a stink when they're put on FAS courses, they don't actively seek even one job.

Walked in on my brothers friend having a conversation on the phone a few weeks ago. Didn't get the whole conversation but the gist of it was "Fcuk sake like theirs no jobs out there, I looked on Jobs.ie and there's nothing" I laughed and walked out of the room.... what he meant is there's nothing he's willing to do, which includes anything that doesn't pay a fcuk ton to do nothing. 27 years old and as far as I know has never had a full time job, and never had a part time more than a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Fair balls to her, begrudgers will be begrudgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

People are sometimes criticised for their perceived unwillingness to work.

Work ethic is something that should be encouraged not criticised

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I would work and have worked more than one job to survive.

Nothing wrong with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Did anyone else in the village offer to pay her bills, food, clothing, utilities?

If not, then it's absolutely none of their business and this woman has every right to work as many jobs as she wants. If the curtain twitchers spent less time blowing hot air and more time looking for work themselves then perhaps they wouldn't have time to be so bitter.

I'm self-employed as an IT consultant and I work with a number of charities and unemployment organisations providing my skills for free so that they can operate more efficiently and spend less time doing paperwork and more time with the people that need their help.

I've been offered numerous positions a number of times with these charities and organisations but I've turned them down because I like to be able to work in the background rather than commit my full time to any one particular organisation, but it just goes to show the jobs ARE out there if you're motivated enough, and sure, in some cases you may have to start at the bottom, below your qualifications listed on your resumé, but the contacts you make doing voluntary work can be invaluable in helping you get into a higher position in the organisation or another organisation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

If she got the job because she was the best candidate for it, (and her experience in the other job suggests she probably is), then the very best of luck to her and fuk the begrudgers.

However, if she was offered the job as a result of who she knew rather than what she knew, especially if more qualified candidates were overlooked, then I can see why some people would be put out. And this kind of preferencial treatment still goes on all the time, especially in rural Ireland.

As for this strange question....
    Armelodie wrote: »
    No 'one' shouldn't, wotwotwot... Are you the queen or something?

....I doubt Kichote is the queen. Are you suggesting the queen is the only person who knows how to speak English properly. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I double job, a full time job and a part time job.

I work 6 days per week and study on the 7th day as I'm also studying full time via distance learning with CCCU.

I do it to pay my fees, to ensure I'm in a position to keep my bills in order and because its necessary at the moment.

Would I prefer not having two jobs and a full time degree to study for every week? Yes of course I would. But at the end of the day needs must.

Walked in on my brothers friend having a conversation on the phone a few weeks ago. Didn't get the whole conversation but the gist of it was "Fcuk sake like theirs no jobs out there, I looked on Jobs.ie and there's nothing" I laughed and walked out of the room.... what he meant is there's nothing he's willing to do, which includes anything that doesn't pay a fcuk ton to do nothing. 27 years old and as far as I know has never had a full time job, and never had a part time more than a few weeks.

There is an undercurrent of helplessness running throughout modern Irish society.

It's a relatively recent phenomena,shared with much of the UK,which renders it's sufferers totally incapable of independent thought or action.

One of it's early manifestations was the Polish Plumber,Czech Carpenter or Moldovan Mechanic all of whom started to appear in our Towns and Cities,grudgingly tolerated at first,due to their ability to fix stuff and make stuff in a manner forgotten by the natives.

If it's not on Jobs.ie,it's not there at all :rolleyes:

The very fact that we are hearing of spite-ridden curtain twitchers bad mouthing somebody with a bit of gumption is sadly all too representative of a country gone adrift.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I run my own business, small, but I do alright, when our second kid was born, (years ago) the missus started a creche for toddlers in the house as she gave up working full-time(she had a good job) to be at home with the kids - some of the locals started giving out that she was "being greedy" by starting a creche, that we were being "money hungry"!

Oh how I LOLED. If they were actually doing anything themselves, they wouldn't have time to be whinging about what anyone else was doing. Trouble is, too much time to stand around gossiping and moaning about "no work, no money". Fcuk off, I worked all weekend, including yesterday from 7.30am till 12.30 at night and today from 7.30am till 4.00pm as no-one else wanted to work the bankholiday and we're swamped in work.

Like the girl in the OP, there's work if you look for it and are prepared to get down and dirty doing it. I get a pain in my hole listening to lads telling me "sure there's no work, it's awful" when I meet them when I'm on the way home after doing 12 hours straight and am knackered, and the phones still ringing.

I run my own business, small, but I do alright, when our second kid was born, (years ago) the missus started a creche for toddlers in the house as she gave up working full-time(she had a good job) to be at home with the kids - some of the locals started giving out that she was "being greedy" by starting a creche, that we were being "money hungry"!

Oh how I LOLED. If they were actually doing anything themselves, they wouldn't have time to be whinging about what anyone else was doing. Trouble is, too much time to stand around gossiping and moaning about "no work, no money". Fcuk off, I worked all weekend, including yesterday from 7.30am till 12.30 at night and today from 7.30am till 4.00pm as no-one else wanted to work the bankholiday and we're swamped in work.

Like the girl in the OP, there's work if you look for it and are prepared to get down and dirty doing it. I get a pain in my hole listening to lads telling me "sure there's no work, it's awful" when I meet them when I'm on the way home after doing 12 hours straight and am knackered, and the phones still ringing.

I know times are really hard, but a lot of people do nothing to help themselves. It's 9.30pm and I'm still working, having worked part of the weekend and started at 8am this morning. I've just had two phone calls from friends asking me to go and meet them in the pub. I'd bloody love to, but I have work to finish by midnight. These same people keep telling me how 'lucky' I am to have work, failing to see that there's no way in hell they'd ever be prepared to do what I do. I had to set myself up as self-employed because I couldn't get enough full-time work in my field. They say they want jobs, but they expect to have their weekends free, be finished by 5 every day, get a complete hour for lunch, be allowed to go on holidays when they like...that's not being desperate for work. I wasn't even that choosy during the Celtic Tiger. I know some people do try really hard, but I have fck all sympathy for people without families who refuse to work anything other than 9-5 'because that should be my free time'. A lot of people plain can't be arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Yep. Begrudgers would rot your sack. I have a full time job and also have a part time business that I run. The business is a small farm. In work I refuse to listen to people whinging about a lack of money as most of the whingers spend a tonne on consumer items along with drink, smokes and two or three foreign holidays a year. When I tell them that being broke is their own fault they invariably say that I am o.k cos I have the farm too. I bought the farm myself. I built it up by myself. This girl in the op obviously has drive and ambition and fair play to her. I hope she gets wherever she is trying to get to in life.

Yep. Begrudgers would rot your sack. I have a full time job and also have a part time business that I run. The business is a small farm. In work I refuse to listen to people whinging about a lack of money as most of the whingers spend a tonne on consumer items along with drink, smokes and two or three foreign holidays a year. When I tell them that being broke is their own fault they invariably say that I am o.k cos I have the farm too. I bought the farm myself. I built it up by myself. This girl in the op obviously has drive and ambition and fair play to her. I hope she gets wherever she is trying to get to in life.

Well writ Juniorhurler.

The saddest part of all this is the reality that the Irish State will place far more emphasis on stifling whatever drive and ambition the woman in question has.

Whether it is administrative twaddle such as the Working Time Directive,or devising income limits for benefit or assistance schemes,those who decide to advance themselves are constantly put back to the end of the queue,whilst the fence-sitters are pandered to in Royalist style.

"Helping those who help themselves",appears to represent heresy to Irish Governance.

For example,we have oft read the posts concerning various examples of the individual leaving a baby-buggy at the side of the road with a pithy comment that "Sure,the Social Welfare will get me another one".....all anecdotal and without basis according to others.

Yet,in 2001 alone, the DSP managed to spend €1,012,000 on Prams/Buggies with an additional €986,000 on "Cots"..

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/2011stats.pdf

It's all part of the "Urgent Needs" package in the DSP's world,with the Urgency amounting to €62,228,000 in 2011.

What,pray tell,do you do Juniorhurler,when an urgent need arises in your world ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

iguy wrote: »
    the local people got wind that she has two jobs and they
    were giving out

How many of them got off their holes and applied?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

When I was in college I often worked 2 or 3 part time jobs. College in the morning, waitressing in one pub from 12 to 4, bar work in a pub from 6 to 10 and then worked in the nightclub from 10 to 2am. Hours and days varied but yeah, I had 3 jobs on the go.

Now I have one but that's because it pays me enough. If it didn't I'd probably look for an evening or weekend job.
    So long as all income is declared and taxes are paid, then whose business is it how many jobs another person works?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

When leaving a cv into an employer in retail, say. Would you ask for management? Ask staff who could ye talk to? Got my CV ready just need to know how to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 galtee mountain boy

I double job myself and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I work 9-5 as a marketing manager and also have a small construction and gardening business built up. The very minute it hits 5, I’m out of the office and the suit and in to the ould clothes and away trimming hedges, cutting lawns, block paving driveways, painting houses, work till dark 6 days a week, sometimes 7.
    Have recommendations coming out me hole for my side business, built it from nothing and now it’s booming. Why? Because of hard work and not afraid of it.
    When I hear people saying there is no work about it sickens my hole, most of don’t want to work or don’t want to change their ideas and move to a different industry.
    We had nothing in life growing up and while we were happy, we could go nowhere and were always the last family to get get anything. I double job because I want more for my kids than what I had, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is it a secret to her employers?

Doubt it.

If employers want a candidate that has the right work ethic it won't matter if they are already working another job.

I'm sorry people are unemployed and all but plenty among the unemployed have the equal opportunity to step up and do the job. It's HARD to get a job but honestly that's part of the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Barracuda1

I double job working full time in Manufacturing and part time grass cutting for the summer. The way I look at it is for a full days work I can fill my car with petrol and not have to dip into my wages.

• Site Banned Posts: 8 mick_ee

I know a guard who worked as a brickie all his life , hes retired now from both

Advertisement