Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixed-race Cheerios commerical - why the hate?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

US Television tends to avoid showing interracial couples. If there's 10 characters in a film or programme, and 1 black man and 1 black woman in the group, they'll more than likely end up together. It's very cowardly writing. It's good of Cheerios to go against the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On the UK telly it almost conspicuously the other way. Not that I disapprove (if only cos it must piss off the EDL/BNP) but there are an unlikely number of mixed race couples/families depicted in drama series/soaps across the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Jeez, in Ireland there'd be uproar if a cork girl was going out with a dub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...there's a point a you wanted to make with that isn't there? Come along now...be brave and explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Jeez, in Ireland there'd be uproar if a cork girl was going out with a dub.

People take to the bed over such news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭se02orqua5xz9v

mike65 wrote: »
    On the UK telly it almost conspicuously the other way. Not that I disapprove (if only cos it must piss off the EDL/BNP)

I don't understand. Why must it piss off the EDL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

But the internet is full of whites gittin' it on with the blacks.. :confused: :pac:

Yes, but that's people usually going out and searching for that content. I post on a forum for Black women but there are many non-Black females who post on the site, and there have been multiple threads discussing interracial relationships. It happens. We all know that it does, but there is something different about a television commercial. On the internet, you guide your content, but on television, you turn on a program and then you have to sit through commercials. Commercials are rather imposing, and I imagine these closet racists feel that this commercial was an unwelcome imposition into their living room. It's like being forced to consume something that you chose to ignore previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't understand. Why must it piss off the EDL?

Anyone who thinks the English Defence League is not actually the White English Defence League is a fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Nodin wrote: »
    ...there's a point a you wanted to make with that isn't there? Come along now...be brave and explain it.

I'll take a punt at this....maybe wrong but wtf.

'You are being brainwashed by da evil Jewz................................'

Or some nonsense like that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

JD DABA wrote: »
    Nasty comments on the internetz you say ??
    Insults directed at Muricas negro population ??

I shall have to inform the chaps at encyclopedia drammatica

Yes, do tell us how you get on, won't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

I'm not surprised to see those comments on youtube, it's an easy platform for amateur trolls to practice on. I like the ad, it made me laugh when he woke up covered in cheerios.

Thankfully we are fairly indifferent to mixed relationships here in Ireland. :D

I'm white and my boyfriend is black and we (thankfully) haven't experienced any negative comments or attitudes so far anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Isolt wrote: »
    I'm not surprised to see those comments on youtube, it's an easy platform for amateur trolls to practice on. I like the ad, it made me laugh when he woke up covered in cheerios.

Thankfully we are fairly indifferent to mixed relationships here in Ireland. :D

I'm white and my boyfriend is black and we (thankfully) haven't experienced any negative comments or attitudes so far anyway.

Ah heyor. Not even a

"good for you father. Good for you. Coming over here and taking our jobs and our wimmin' and acting like they feckin' own the place. Good for you"

actually that was the greeks. Inventing gayness and all.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

I'm trying to think of an example of an ugly mixed race person, and I can't.

Prob a very shallow statement, but I don't care!!

Probably because you don't know any. and your frame of reference outside of your own circle would be limited to people you see "on da telly" so that's gonna be biased towards the lookers.

Sure everyone is "mixed" anyway! To some extent. Did ya learn nothing from The Commitments ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

What is it about YouTube comments in particular that seems to bring out some of the most vile hate on the web.

You see really nasty stuff under some of the most non-controvertial videos you could possibly think of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Eddie Van Halen ?
    How is he mixed race?Anyway mixed race people are just as likely to be ugly as any other ethnic group.Just look at Tiger Woods and Rio Ferdinand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

darkdubh wrote: »
    How is he mixed race?
    His mum was half Indonesian.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Ham Wallet wrote: »
    Not a fan of them personally

Cheerios or mixed race couples? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

With regard to the OP, the vast majority of those comments are very obviously trolls deliberately trying to inflame gullible eejits like your good self. Rule number 14 of the Rules of the Internet: "Do not argue with trolls. It means they win."

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/030/662/rules.jpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

So where are mixed race people suppose to go?

Madagascar I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Why anyone is surprised at anything that the idiots that inhabit YouTube have to say is beyond me.

Years ago I saw a video of a five or six month old baby 'playing' the guitar by moving his hand and inadvertently striking the strings of a guitar that someone was holding. The person that uploaded this video had obviously only meant her family and friends to see it but somehow it got a million views and attracted thousands of comments about how the baby was a crap guitarist and deserved to die for 'wasting their time'.

It was then then I discovered that the average YouTube commenter is a pimply teenage moron with too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pinkandick

So where are mixed race people suppose to go?

gl
    Mixed-race there is no such thing it’s only a social construct. Don’t get bogged down there man in their madness, Like they classify people as mixed race so they can give credence to their hate of a future they will have no choice but to embrace…i.e new immigrants assimilating what else are we all supposed to do, they seem so thick they need a new outlook, bring on the immigrants because they will only help out with all the good stuff like nice food and nobody likes paying taxes but things have to run in an economy, Like paying back the bloody German’s. Everything makes sense here but what they want doesn’t make any sense at all. P.s any help with the mantra?

What a cute ad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Pinkandick wrote: »
    gl
    Mixed-race there is no such thing it’s only a social construct. Don’t get bogged down there man in their madness, Like they classify people as mixed race so they can give credence to their hate of a future they will have no choice but to embrace…i.e new immigrants assimilating what else are we all supposed to do, they seem so thick they need a new outlook, bring on the immigrants because they will only help out with all the good stuff like nice food and nobody likes paying taxes but things have to run in an economy, Like paying back the bloody German’s. Everything makes sense here but what they want doesn’t make any sense at all. P.s any help with the mantra?

Not everything makes sense, take for example, your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

John Agard - Half Caste

Excuse me
    standing on one leg
    I’m half-caste.

Explain yuself
    wha yu mean
    when yu say half-caste
    yu mean when Picasso
    mix red an green
    is a half-caste canvas?
    explain yuself
    wha yu mean
    when yu say half-caste
    yu mean when light an shadow
    mix in de sky
    is a half-caste weather?
    well in dat case
    england weather
    nearly always half-caste
    in fact some o dem cloud
    half-caste till dem overcast
    so spiteful dem don’t want de sun pass
    ah rass?
    explain yuself
    wha yu mean
    when yu say half-caste
    yu mean tchaikovsky
    sit down at dah piano
    an mix a black key
    wid a white key
    is a half-caste symphony?

Explain yuself
    wha yu mean
    Ah listening to yu wid de keen
    half of mih ear
    Ah looking at yu wid de keen
    half of mih eye
    an when I’m introduced to yu
    I’m sure you’ll understand
    why I offer yu half-a-hand
    an when I sleep at night
    I close half-a-eye
    consequently when I dream
    I dream half-a-dream
    an when moon begin to glow
    I half-caste human being
    cast half-a-shadow
    but yu must come back tomorrow
    wid de whole of yu eye
    an de whole of yu ear
    an de whole of yu mind.

an I will tell yu
    de other half
    of my story.

I'm not sure how well known that is but I discovered it a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭se02orqua5xz9v

Anyone who thinks the English Defence League is not actually the White English Defence League is a fool.
    On the UK telly it almost conspicuously the other way. Not that I disapprove (if only cos it must piss off the EDL...).

The EDL was founded by Tommy Robinson aka Stephen Yaxley-Lennon. In the documentary Proud and Prejudiced, first aired on Channel 4 in 2012, Robinson stated the following, in response to David Cameron's 'state multiculturalism has failed' speech.
    "David Cameron is wrong. Multiculturalism has worked. It hasn't failed. My Goddaughter is black. My niece is black. We live side-by-side, brothers and sisters. It hasn't failed. What's he on about? He doesn't know what he's talking about. Religion has failed."
    I see nothing in that to infer that he would be 'pissed off' by depictions of mixed-race couples on TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

He's still a wrong 'un, that Tommy. As is anyone involved with the EDL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Wait, so this isn't one of those threads were we'll post the clip of Bill Hicks saying advertisers should kill themselves? ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Solair wrote: »
    What is it about YouTube comments in particular that seems to bring out some of the most vile hate on the web.

You see really nasty stuff under some of the most non-controvertial videos you could possibly think of.

Stormfront members out in force no doubt.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

"OK guys, we need a new ad for Cheerios. Something to grab attention and make us money. Any ideas?"
    "Uhh, yep. Whut about Cheerios being eaten by a mixed race family?"
    "Oh, come on, Michael! The "I'm no fascist but.../ I'm no racist but.../ I'm so right-on" hoards will go ape!"
    "Right, and the profile of Cheerios will go into orbit!"
    "Mmmm, do you think they'll fall for it?"
    "Oh yes, they always do."
    "Thanks, Michael. Say "hello" to Mrs. O'Leary for us".

Advertisement