Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need help picking a car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

mustang01 wrote: »
    yes ba its well know rite through the industry the focus is the best drivers car out der ! the 1.4 petrol doesnt take true advantage of the great chassis but the higher powered engines show its true style !

Ill look into getting a 1.6 or 1.8 focus. Hoping to pick up something by the end of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,205 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

180 miles per week is hardly diesel territory. That's less than 10k miles per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mustang01

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Have you learned the brochures off by heart?

no i dont believe anything written buy sales people, only first hand by driving them myself and of course reviewing many tests

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Chibs wrote: »
    Ill look into getting a 1.6 or 1.8 focus. Hoping to pick up something by the end of next week.

As bazz says you don't really need a diesel. Your mileage isn't high enough and this can create issues for reliability

no i dont believe anything written buy sales people, only first hand by driving them myself and of course reviewing many tests

The Focus drives well but they are not a drivers car unless you get an ST.

They drive well, but they are not a drivers car. There is nothing wrong with the cars you mention but the OP will most likey have DPF issues with the 1.6D and get no economy benefit from the 1.8.

Much better off with the petrol a for low mileage, but you may not have read that in auto express

• Advertisement

The Focus drives well but they are not a drivers car unless you get an ST.

They drive well, but they are not a drivers car. There is nothing wrong with the cars you mention but the OP will most likey have DPF issues with the 1.6D and get no economy benefit from the 1.8.

Much better off with the petrol a for low mileage, but you may not have read that in auto express

the 1.6d give lot more trouble than that ba, i should know since i have to fix dem day n day out, when u actually know wha ur talkn about come back for a chat !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

talk sence silly man, i work day in day out on cars and know only too well about the models that do and dont give a lota trouble, alfas and fiat are unreliable coz der poor quality and badly put together !!

For the second time, what do you do?

the 1.6d give lot more trouble than that ba, i should know since i have to fix dem day n day out, when u actually know wha ur talkn about come back for a chat !

I never said it didn't. I said with low mileage the OP will have DPF issues. Most other issues are down to poor maintenance or mechanics using poor quality oil.

What is it you do again? And why do the HDIs you work with give so much trouble after you've worked with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,205 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A nice Ghia spec 2007 Focus here:

View2-20049543.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/5060836

I never said it didn't. I said with low mileage the OP will have DPF issues. M

yes with a lot more problems, diesels are only really suited for higher mileage, they choke up with stop start town and short journeys creating all sorts of problems so best stick with petrol if only doing low mileage

• Advertisement

yes with a lot more problems, diesels are only really suited for higher mileage, they choke up with stop start town and short journeys creating all sorts of problems so best stick with petrol if only doing low mileage

So two minutes ago you said I should go away and come back when I know what I'm talking about and now you completely agree with the point I've been making all along.............

As I'm on the phone can someone post a face palm for me

Would the Focus be more reliable than an Opel Astra?

I'd rate both the same in petrol form. Astra is probably better value for what you are getting.

So two minutes ago you said I should go away and come back when I know what I'm talking about and now you completely agree with the point I've been making all along.............

As I'm on the phone can someone post a face palm for me

yes you said focus not a drivers car, in any engine guise they are well know to be best in class for driving dynamics and many thousands of delighted customers will bear that out so yes come back to me when you stop talking waffle !

yes you said focus not a drivers car, in any engine guise they are well know to be best in class for driving dynamics and many thousands of delighted customers will bear that out so yes come back to me when you stop talking waffle !

Best at what?

They are a nice car and much more engaging than a Corolla but a drivers car they are not, and certainly not the diesels. Please stop posting hyperbole and Clarksonesk phrases you don't understand. In fairness the only one talking waffle is you, from posting meaningless phrases to back tracking over what you said regarding diesels to revealing that your vast wealth of knowledge comes from car reviews you really come across as being clueless.

You still haven't said how you are involved in the trade btw.

they are both good cars, best advise is to drive both and you get a feel for which suits you best, as for reliability has lot down to how they are looked after but also quality of design and manufacture and thats where ford seem to have come on leaps and bounds over the last number of years so id put the focus ahead there

Best at what?

They are a nice car and much more engaging than a Corolla but a drivers car they are not, and certainly not the duesels. Please stop posting hyperbole and Clarksonesk phrases you don't understand.

You still haven't said how you are involved in the trade btw.

the day you have driven every single model of all the mainstreem car manufacturers like i have over the years come back and ull be able to talk some sence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Bpmull (a user on here) will tell you that the astra is much better in his experience than the focus.
    Can't comment myself on either but we do have an Opel Insignia that has had it's fair share of problems.

Mustang, I posted the 147 as an interesting and different option to the run of the mill Golf, Focus, Corolla etc. I would hazzard a guess that it would be much more of a drivers car than the Focus. The fact that the focus (afaik) only had drum brakes on the back up until 2010. This would leave a lot to be desired in terms of the driving experience.

the day you have driven every single model of all the mainstreem car manufacturers like i have over the years come back and ull be able to talk some sence :)

If only you could post some legible sense it would be a help.

So you've now driven every single model of all the mainstream manufacturers, you're knowledge comes from car mags and every HDI you service gives lots of issues. You make some very big assumptions about me btw.

You still haven't said what you do in the motor trade.

they are both good cars, best advise is to drive both and you get a feel for which suits you best, as for reliability has lot down to how they are looked after but also quality of design and manufacture and thats where ford seem to have come on leaps and bounds over the last number of years so id put the focus ahead there

The first sensible comment you have made in this thread. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

My guess would be nothing, there's a lot of rehashed sh*te, pub talk and generalities. Waste of time, waste of bandwidth

If only you could post some legible sense it would be a help.

So you've now driven every single model of all the mainstream manufacturers, you're knowledge comes from car mags and every HDI you service gives lots of issues. You make some very big assumptions about me btw.

<A lot of intelligible text speak removed
    Use proper English only, thank you>

dgt wrote: »
    My guess would be nothing, there's a lot of rehashed sh*te, pub talk and generalities. Waste of time, waste of bandwidth

You know you're right.

OP with your mileage I'd go for a petrol, if you want mainstream but with a but of fun thrown in I'd suggest a Seat Leon. Different enough but a nice car and easy to service. Alternatively a Mazda 3 would be a nice choice. It shares parts with the Focus but has nicer styling. Toyotas are fine but overpriced as are Golfs.

The Astra of that era is a good car too, nice to drive and well built.

As said though, I'd take a look at a Leon.

The benefits of buying petrol will be two fold for someone doing low mileage like yourself, less chance of a breakdown and the fact that your money will go further and net you a better, newer, lower mileage petrol car.

What do you currently drive and have you any special needs?

Chibs, Do you need 5 doors or is a 3 door car ok?

What do you think of these?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/5134591

Full-20436658.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4986604

Full-20158017.jpeg

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Chibs, Do you need 5 doors or is a 3 door car ok?

What do you think of these?

I did always like those citrons what are they like? 3 or 5 door its not important.

I did always like those citrons what are they like? 3 or 5 door its not important.

I think they are fine. I hear almost nothing about them (no news is good news I suppose). They hold their value fairly well so it would suggest that they are good.

Maybe someone who knows more will post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Personally I would prefer an astra h anyday. I owned a 08 astra h 1.3cdti upto January and now have a 07 focus 1.6tdci. And all it has done is cause me trouble even leaving that aside as I am not going to say all the focuses out there are unreliable just because my one has caused me alot of trouble. There was just always something about the astra i preferred and I can't put my finger on what it is. Even though the focus is quicker quiter and more comfortable I still prefer the astra. And I am hoping to buy another astra before the end of the year.

Electrical issues aside I don't think the C4 is abad car

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I've owned my 2007 Focus 1.6 petrol for a year now and very happy with my choice. Just serviced it and changed the cigarette lighter fuse and 4 tyres. Good going for 12k miles of heavy driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement