Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need help picking a car

Options
  • 02-06-2013 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

i'm hoping some of you guys can help and give me some ideas.
    Looking for a new motor i have 5k to spend. I was thinking no bigger that 1.6 hatchback. Just want something comfortable. I was thinking an opel astra. Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Matthewjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭smokey20

Above Focus looks nice and clean and definitely comfortable.... However personally I would be looking for a diesel equivalent.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/5088834

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Ricky Wrecked

Crazy mileage on that for a petrol. You would need your head read. It a list of problems waiting to kick off

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Crazy mileage on that for a petrol. You would need your head read. It a list of problems waiting to kick off

Yeah, I'm surprised it didn't just stop outright once it went over the 100k, that's the number that is preprogrammed into most cars to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Matthewjohn

Hardly crazy its only 17500 miles per year which is only a bit above average.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Ricky Wrecked

Hardly crazy its only 17500 miles per year which is only a bit above average.

Buying a petrol with a smallish engine with 100k miles will only lead to tears and expense

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mustang01

Focus defo best choice, best drivers car in class but slight problem in your situation, you say 1.6 max, you could get the 1.6 diesel but its a peugeot/citroen derived engine and to be honest its troublesome, the 1.8 diesel is fords own engine and its bulletproof but higher tax

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Buying a petrol with a smallish engine with 100k miles will only lead to tears and expense

If that was the case nobody would buy 6-7 year old cars with average mileage. you're generalising. driven every car that age with 100k miles have you?

OP if you're looking at a focus around that money check out the ghia spec, you'll get one around 06 for less than 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭V4

Octavia 1.4 Petrol
    Lot of car for the money.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/5131461

• Registered Users Posts: 51,205 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Typical Irish mind set.

• Advertisement

vw petrol, stay clear !

bazz26 wrote: »
    Typical Irish mind set.

totally agree Bazz, see many petrol cars with 100k+ and not a bother on them, lot down to way they are looked after and of course the brand !

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

This thread is dumb

JustLen wrote: »
    This thread is dumb

either make a constructive coment or just keep quiet !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

What about this?
    3 door may no be what you are after but a really lovely car imo.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4876817

Full-19091084.jpeg

Or this, no leather but 5 doors :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4808692

Full-18738066.jpeg

oh jez italian, defo stay well clear, nothing but trouble !

mustang01 wrote: »
    either make a constructive coment or just keep quiet !

You could do with a spoon of your own medicine there :rolleyes:

The only reason people think that Alfas are unreliable is that they don't respond well to not being serviced. Once they are looked after they are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Opel astra seem to be a nice car, and going on my friends they appear to be reliable. Another option with some bargaining you should get a Kia C'eed close to 5K
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/5094142

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 zaph.

Chibs wrote: »
    i'm hoping some of you guys can help and give me some ideas.
    Looking for a new motor i have 5k to spend. I was thinking no bigger that 1.6 hatchback. Just want something comfortable. I was thinking an opel astra. Any suggestions welcome.

No matter what the german scrap fanboys and french scrap fanboys on here say if you want hassle free cheap motoring go jap or korean

And yes they may be a little dull but they wont cost you the price of the car every year to maintain

Now here comes all the bmw fanboys to tell me how wrong i am.......

• Advertisement

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    You could do with a spoon of your own medicine there :rolleyes:

The only reason people think that Alfas are unreliable is that they don't respond well to not being serviced. Once they are looked after they are fine.

talk sence silly man, i work day in day out on cars and know only too well about the models that do and dont give a lota trouble, alfas and fiat are unreliable coz der poor quality and badly put together !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

talk sence silly man, i work day in day out on cars and know only too well about the models that do and dont give a lota trouble, alfas and fiat are unreliable coz der poor quality and badly put together !!

What do you do? A mechanic? Salesperson?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Thanks for the replys i like the ford focus. Are they reliable? I'm doing about 180 miles a week should i go diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Ah haven't seen one of these posts for a while! C'mon dude back up your argument with facts and numbers please otherwise I ain't buying it.

As DZ correctly pointed out they do require that bit of extra maintenance but once looked after they go just as well as any other car out there IMO. Have two Alfa's myself and love them. They both take extra care but happy to give it to them in order not to drive a dullbox Corolla/ 1.4 Golf. ;)

I suppose you think VW/Audi are the pinnacle of reliability?

I think it is you who needs to talk ''sence'' really tbh. :)

Chibs wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys i like the ford focus. Are they reliable? I'm doing about 180 miles a week should i go diesel?

hi Chibs, if you go for fords own 1.8 diesel engine they are very reliable, the 1.6 peugeot/citroen derived engine gives some trouble, great drivers car !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

hi Chibs, if you go for fords own 1.8 diesel engine they are very reliable, the 1.6 peugeot/citroen derived engine gives some trouble, great drivers car !

A 1.8/1.6 diesel is a GREAT DRIVERS CAR?

Bloody hell......

166man wrote: »
    Ah haven't seen one of these posts for a while! C'mon dude back up your argument with facts and numbers please otherwise I ain't buying it.

As DZ correctly pointed out they do require that bit of extra maintenance but once looked after they go just as well as any other car out there IMO. Have two Alfa's myself and love them. They both take extra care but happy to give it to them in order not to drive a dullbox Corolla/ 1.4 Golf. ;)

I suppose you think VW/Audi are the pinnacle of reliability?

I think it is you who needs to talk ''sence'' really tbh. :)

ha ya rite, vw/audi great reliability myth is a pure joke these days with all the engine trouble they give,

defo agree da italians especially in the alfa guise produce very stylish cars but not worth their poor reliability headache

ba_barabus wrote: »
    A 1.8/1.6 diesel is a GREAT DRIVERS CAR?

Bloody hell......

yes ba its well know rite through the industry the focus is the best drivers car out der ! the 1.4 petrol doesnt take true advantage of the great chassis but the higher powered engines show its true style !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

yes ba its well know rite through the industry the focus is the best drivers car out der ! the 1.4 petrol doesnt take true advantage of the great chassis but the higher powered engines show its true style !
    Have you learned the brochures off by heart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    What about this?
    3 door may no be what you are after but a really lovely car imo.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4876817

Full-19091084.jpeg

I'm in love. Conveniently, I'm on the market for my first car with a similar budget. If the car I'm looking at falls through, I could be up in Beacon next week. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement