Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC in 4 days and havnt studied yet

Options
  • 01-06-2013 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭

So the leaving is starting Wednesday and I still havnt started studying. I tried this morning but couldn't concentrate after about 10mins I got so bored. Any one else in de same boat ? Or any suggestions on how to be able to keep de concentration for an hour at least?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

I hope you don't use the same writing style in the exams :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

First choice is 450 I think hoping I get that HEAR scheme for a few handy points :) but I'm aiming for 400 ....got 355 in the mocks and just skimmed through de books de night before and I think a lot of the exams were just flukes that I did well in them,,,

N64 wrote: »
    I hope you don't use the same writing style in the exams :eek:

Think I do actually :/ but still managed to scrape a C2 in English haha English mock paper was handy out I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    Think I do actually :/ but still managed to scrape a C2 in English haha English mock paper was handy out I thought

Do you think you'll end up repeating?

Do you think you'll end up repeating?

Jaysus I hope not, I don't think I could stick another year in school, I hated de place,,tbh if I get offered any course on my cao I'm taken it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Jaysus I hope not, I don't think I could stick another year in school, I hated de place,,tbh if I get offered any course on my cao I'm taken it

As long as you get above 270 points (I think) you can still get into college.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,168 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are courses with much less points than that.

As long as you get above 270 points (I think) you can still get into college.

I think the lowest points course I have down is 300 points but need an A2 in maths,,should be do-able as I stuck with HL until a few weeks back that's a level 8 btw

spurious wrote: »
    There are courses with much less points than that.

Jam making ftw ;) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

There are loads of people in the same boat you are. I'd say at least 1 in 4.
    However that doesn't mean it's a good thing or something to take solace in.

I understand that in the run up to the leaving cert you can feel bored, un-stimulated
    and even unhappy. However the harsh reality is that you cannot adopt an attitude
    of not studying and then be upset if you do not get the points you want for college.

This is an issue I feel guidance counsellors should be dealing with more.

• Advertisement

elfy4eva wrote: »
    There are loads of people in the same boat you are. I'd say at least 1 in 4.
    However that doesn't mean it's a good thing or something to take solace in.

I understand that in the run up to the leaving cert you can feel bored, un-stimulated
    and even unhappy. However the harsh reality is that you cannot adopt an attitude
    of not studying and then be upset if you do not get the points you want for college.

This is an issue I feel guidance counsellors should be dealing with more.

I know that it will only be my own fault if I don't get de points I need....I just find it 'impossible' to sit down and learn stuff from a book and with pen and paper,,,I learn so much easier and find it more interesting learning from actually doin things and really the guidance counsellors can't do de study for ya,,tis up to de person to take an interest themselves, I think they should sit down with the student and try and find a way of studying that would suit that student the best

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

You sound like a stereotypical kinesthetic learner. Google 'Study tips for kinesthetic learners' - you might find something that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Random question but are you from cork?

You sound like a stereotypical kinesthetic learner. Google 'Study tips for kinesthetic learners' - you might find something that suits you.

The description of a kinesthetic learner that I found sumed me up to a t ! Ill try some of the techniques they mentioned, ya never no, I might actually be able to study,,,stranger things have happened I suppose,,thanks for that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

You're very welcome. The best of luck to you.

Random question but are you from cork?

No I'm not haha, south tipp,, so I wouldn't be a million miles away,,sister goes to college there tho

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

No I'm not haha, south tipp,, so I wouldn't be a million miles away,,sister goes to college there tho

Haha weird but I got the feeling you were a cork man :P

Haha weird but I got the feeling you were a cork man :P

No a tipp man who is very close to de Kilkenny border,,went to a Kilkenny primary school and I must say there was great rivalry in September !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

College/university doesn't suit everyone, there's nothing wrong with that.
    But if you do repeat, can you do it somewhere that's not school? I'm thinking of the Institute of Education, it's not the same as your usual school, but in your own area?

starling wrote: »
    College/university doesn't suit everyone, there's nothing wrong with that.
    But if you do repeat, can you do it somewhere that's not school? I'm thinking of the Institute of Education, it's not the same as your usual school, but in your own area?

Well if they let me sit de leaving in de school and just let me study meself and not do classes I wouldn't mind so much,,,
    just out of curiosity, what's the minimum amount of subjects u can do when repeating?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Well if they let me sit de leaving in de school and just let me study meself and not do classes I wouldn't mind so much,,,
    just out of curiosity, what's the minimum amount of subjects u can do when repeating?

You have to get all the points you want from one sitting, so if you didn't get what you needed this year you'd probably want to do at least 6 next year to try and get the most points you can.

However if you have some requirements fulfilled from this year (eg a C3 in English) you can drop that subject if you don't want to do it again.

If you did get the points you need this year, but not the requirements, you could resit anything from one subject to get the requirement in it next year.

I don't think I could stick doing English or Irish again wouldn't be the biggest fan of languages

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

yep I'm quite similar i can't just sit down with pen and paper and study unless I'm in school and actually have to! I try looking up marking schemes online and learn that way :)

I don't mean this as an insult in any way, but if you had motivation issues and found it difficult to study while you were going to classes, are you sure that doing all the study on your own would not be more difficult?
    Sorry if this has already been asked but have you spoken to the guidance counsellor about it? They may be able to help.

I don't mean this as an insult in any way, but if you had motivation issues and found it difficult to study while you were going to classes, are you sure that doing all the study on your own would not be more difficult?
    Sorry if this has already been asked but have you spoken to the guidance counsellor about it? They may be able to help.

Don't get me wrong i want to study so ill do well but I just really struggle with sitting down and learning it I just can't keep de concentration,,,and Unless I found out a way that I could actually study there probably wouldn't be much point in me repeating cos if I couldn't study I wouldn't do any better I suppose,,,I just hated sitting in class listen to teachers rattling on, staring at de clock waiting for lunch/ home time

yep I'm quite similar i can't just sit down with pen and paper and study unless I'm in school and actually have to! I try looking up marking schemes online and learn that way :)

I still find it hard to study in school,,bit better than at home tho,,,

Don't get me wrong i want to study so ill do well but I just really struggle with sitting down and learning it I just can't keep de concentration,,,and Unless I found out a way that I could actually study there probably wouldn't be much point in me repeating cos if I couldn't study I wouldn't do any better I suppose,,,I just hated sitting in class listen to teachers rattling on, staring at de clock waiting for lunch/ home time

I know you want to do it. The school way doesn't suit everyone it doesn't mean you're lazy or stupid, just that you have a different learning style.
    I suppose the real question is, do you know what you want to do as a career? And it's okay if you don't know yet, most people don't know at your age. But if you have something you're interested in then you may be able to find a way in that doesn't need 600 points...

I know you want to do it. The school way doesn't suit everyone it doesn't mean you're lazy or stupid, just that you have a different learning style.
    I suppose the real question is, do you know what you want to do as a career? And it's okay if you don't know yet, most people don't know at your age. But if you have something you're interested in then you may be able to find a way in that doesn't need 600 points...

There's a few different courses that I wouldn't mind doin in college, with both high and low points so I should get one of dem as for career havnt a notion! Haha,,,
    Tis like I've always said, de leaving is only a shortcut to get to where u want to go,, there's plenty of other ways of getting there, might just take a little longer is all

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

First choice is 450 I think hoping I get that HEAR scheme for a few handy points :) ....got 355 in the mocks/quote]
    So the leaving is starting Wednesday and I still havnt started studying. I got so bored.

You, exactly you, are what is wrong with the education system.
    Oh a big laugh, you'll come out with a 100point bonus, maybe added time for your exams and a classroom of your own.
    You can't study because you get bored, you're keeping out a hard working average student of 350 points.
    Whereas you'll get into college and find, believe it or not, study is "boring" there too.

#Lc stress and lack of human contact to vent.

• Advertisement

diarmo06 wrote: »
    First choice is 450 I think hoping I get that HEAR scheme for a few handy points :) ....got 355 in the mocks/quote]

You, exactly you, are what is wrong with the education system.
    Oh a big laugh, you'll come out with a 100point bonus, maybe added time for your exams and a classroom of your own.
    You can't study because you get bored, you're keeping out a hard working average student of 350 points.
    Whereas you'll get into college and find, believe it or not, study is "boring" there too.

#Lc stress and lack of human contact to vent.

Sorry ta upset ya lad haha and glad I could be of service to ya ta let u get rid of some of your stress ! ;)
    Ya I agree it's not really a fair system when they're doin things like that but hey if there offering them ill take them,, I'm sure you'd be more than happy to get extra points for just filling out a form !

Advertisement