Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Can ye move your little bitchfest elsewhere please before the Boards Gardai close this informative thread down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Xtravision GSC closing down and permission sought to turn it into an off-licence

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Xtravision GSC closing down and permission sought to turn it into an off-licence

Strange given o'briens is two doors away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Strange given o'briens is two doors away.
    It just says off-licence. Could be O'briens moving

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Red Eye Coffee on Middle St closed down again. .
    Open for all of a month, I reckon.

Sign in window says closed for renovations, but all staff laid off this week and vans there taking out all the equipment. Gone quiet on social media other than some customers asking where they went.

The unit is jinxed... Red Eye, a burger bar, Italian place, Arabic there twice, Mr Waffle was lucky to get out alive and move over to Newcastle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

aw wrote: »
    Red Eye Coffee on Middle St closed down again. .
    Open for all of a month, I reckon.

Sign in window says closed for renovations, but all staff laid off this week and vans there taking out all the equipment. Gone quiet on social media other than some customers asking where they went.

The unit is jinxed... Red Eye, a burger bar, Italian place, Arabic there twice, Mr Waffle was lucky to get out alive and move over to Newcastle.

Is that where J.D's Kitchen was years ago? Loved that place in it's brief time there!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,846 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

aw wrote: »

I'm not so sure about that. I've no proof, but a strong hunch that the unit was leased by whoever's behind the Arabica franchise, and they used it to test out various different brands. Some eg Mr Waffle were kept going and moved to other higher profile locations. Others were tried and died.

Red Eye was totally different I think, and someone did a lot of renovations before they moved in. Sorry to hear they didn't last, but maybe not surprised given the prices they charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

snubbleste wrote:

Never thought that one would close..shame they never dropped their rental prices, might have saved them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

smurf492 wrote: »
    snubbleste wrote:

Never thought that one would close..shame they never dropped their rental prices, might have saved them.
    Big signs saying everything must go but very few deals to be had. Was always likely to go considering the business it's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Corner Cafe going in across from the Abbey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Big signs saying everything must go but very few deals to be had. Was always likely to go considering the business it's in.

Same in knocknacarra..big signs but no deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

So tried that Wooza pizza place on Sea Road, even better than Dough Brothers, way more generous toppings.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I'm not so sure about that. I've no proof, but a strong hunch that the unit was leased by whoever's behind the Arabica franchise, and they used it to test out various different brands. Some eg Mr Waffle were kept going and moved to other higher profile locations. Others were tried and died.

Red Eye was totally different I think, and someone did a lot of renovations before they moved in. Sorry to hear they didn't last, but maybe not surprised given the prices they charged.

Ya it's the Arabica guy that owns/leases it I think. But it's just one of those spots that doesn't seem to do great trade. I don't think he's going to close down somewhere that's profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

I believe this is true. They use the unit to try out different concepts and brands. Not sure about Red Eye though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Links234 wrote: »
    So tried that Wooza pizza place on Sea Road, even better than Dough Brothers, way more generous toppings.

I tried it about a month ago. The pizza was very tasty alright, but I'd probably still prefer Dough Bros. We had their (Wooza's) garlic bread as well (it came free), but it was quite poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

We had their garlic bread as well (it came free), but it was quite poor.

Although I like Dough Bros, I thought the garlic bread was very expensive. I was in there during the year with a couple of others and two of us ordered garlic bread.

They brought my brother his garlic bread first and after a while I decided to ask what the story was. Turns out the piece was between the two of us and he had split what little was in it with someone else already.

Only for I noticed it as well, we would have paid double the price for it, as they had a promotion but the person that served me made a genuine mistake.

Love DB pizza, garlic bread is mad expensive for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Although I like Dough Bros, I thought the garlic bread was very expensive. I was in there during the year with a couple of others and two of us ordered garlic bread.

They brought my brother his garlic bread first and after a while I decided to ask what the story was. Turns out the piece was between the two of us and he had split what little was in it with someone else already.

Only for I noticed it as well, we would have paid double the price for it, as they had a promotion but the person that served me made a genuine mistake.

Love DB pizza, garlic bread is mad expensive for what it is.

I was actually on about Wooza's garlic bread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I was actually on about Wooza's garlic bread :)

I don't know what DB garlic bread is like because it was eaten on me! :D

Will have to try out Wooza soon.

Wooza do proper garlic pizza bread, so it was nicer than DB's offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

A pop up book shop has opened where Army & Navy was, next door to Body Shop on William Street.

It's a pop up shop that sells books and not a shop that sells pop up books. ;0)

• Advertisement

ErnieBert wrote: »
    A pop up book shop has opened where Army & Navy was, next door to Body Shop on William Street.

It's a pop up shop that sells books and not a shop that sells pop up books. ;0)

Crap, I was hoping for a pop-up book :(

Tolteca setting up beside 7 on the bridge.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I think we've reached peak-burrito. People can stop opening taquerias now.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Tolteca setting up beside 7 on the bridge.

Is this a second location or moving from Newcastle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I think we've reached peak-burrito. People can stop opening taquerias now.

Didn't you get the memo. Taquerias are the new coffee shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Is this a second location or moving from Newcastle?

I doubt they'd move from Newcastle... Students in there often.

I don't know when this happened as I won't set foot in Dunnes, but I notice the off licence at the top of the Square is now a clothes shop. Maybe it's just for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I think that Dunnes closed as an off licence/ small grocery place about 3 months back and has been whatever it is designated as now for at least the last month.
    But I think it has remained a Dunnes mini branch so possibly not totally relevant to this thread.
    Just redesignated withing the company. But not sure where that leaves people who need to buy alcohol on the square, other than just heading over to Richardsons.

Can probably pick up everything else in that Newsagents which was the one place you could buy bus passes from outside of teh bus station, but name currentlty escapes me

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

New accountancy practice on corner of ross house / bonham street. Also - not exactly a new premises opening - but new launderette opened on kearneys/mor oil forecourt in the docks. Kind of a container based operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,846 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

westgolf wrote: »
    New accountancy practice on corner of ross house / bonham street. Also - not exactly a new premises opening - but new launderette opened on kearneys/mor oil forecourt in the docks. Kind of a container based operation.

What city is that in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement