Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replica cars...........

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

advertsfox wrote: »
    I agree with the lads - I personally like the idea of a kit car instead - such as this Honda Accord "Attack", can use a Civic / Prelude / MR2 ;)

Any of those in Ireland? Interesting concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RS200-replica-impreza-wrx-sti-based-4x4-turbo-kit-car-/151052849859?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item232b7392c3

Something like this would be cool to own. Like was said already, if the replica is of a rare car that can't realistically be bought anymore I think there is room for them. Just wonder what would the crowd in Shannon make of this if you rang them looking to tax it!
    $T2eC16hHJHwE9n8ikMcqBRo1!Hc+E!~~60_58.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I firmly beleive that there are two didtinct markets in this area.

You have the Lotus 7, cobra, GT40, Lancia Stratos type and then you have MR2 to Ferrari crowd. (I am excluding the extreme or unique kits from this) and

Even in the former you have a "budget" and "higher end" markets.

Personally a sierra based Cobra would do nothing for me but a properly engineered, GD Cobra... Now that I would love to own... its not the real thing but probably drives and handles better. However its also a BIG investment. Go for the bespoke Euro based chasis, LS1 power, a Quality gell coat finish and a top end interior and you are looking at 35K + before the VRT... But you get a great car.

Even with the Lotus 7 you have a huge budget range from cheap and cheerful to the top end Caterham and Westfield models...

Ona sunny day with nice roads I would preffer to drive a GD or a Westfield \ Caterham than an origonal.....

Its a big marketing issue for the kit car industry the high end quys get tarred with the same brush as the cheap plastic stick on MR2 to Ferrari stuff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

knipex wrote: »
    I firmly beleive that there are two didtinct markets in this area.

You have the Lotus 7, cobra, GT40, Lancia Stratos type and then you have MR2 to Ferrari crowd. (I am excluding the extreme or unique kits from this) and

Even in the former you have a "budget" and "higher end" markets.

Personally a sierra based Cobra would do nothing for me but a properly engineered, GD Cobra... Now that I would love to own... its not the real thing but probably drives and handles better. However its also a BIG investment. Go for the bespoke Euro based chasis, LS1 power, a Quality gell coat finish and a top end interior and you are looking at 35K + before the VRT... But you get a great car.

Even with the Lotus 7 you have a huge budget range from cheap and cheerful to the top end Caterham and Westfield models...

Ona sunny day with nice roads I would preffer to drive a GD or a Westfield \ Caterham than an origonal.....

Its a big marketing issue for the kit car industry the high end quys get tarred with the same brush as the cheap plastic stick on MR2 to Ferrari stuff.

I agree with nearly all of that, but there's nothing substandard about a Sierra based Cobra replica. They handle very well indeed.

I agree with nearly all of that, but there's nothing substandard about a Sierra based Cobra replica. They handle very well indeed.

Personally there is something wrong with the the idea of a cobra with a straight 4 engine and nothing (includign the 3 or 4 I have driven ) will convince me that a chassis built for a sierra or with Sierra based runnign gear can handle a V8 and maintain handling..

But thats just me.. and everyone is entitled to their own view..

Thats the beauty of the industry, you can normally get something for your budget.

However I dont think anyone would say that a Euro based GD and a Sierra based cobra could be compared as being in the same class.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Personally there is something wrong with the the idea of a cobra with a straight 4 engine and nothing (includign the 3 or 4 I have driven ) will convince me that a chassis built for a sierra or with Sierra based runnign gear can handle a V8 and maintain handling..

But thats just me.. and everyone is entitled to their own view..

Thats the beauty of the industry, you can normally get something for your budget.

However I dont think anyone would say that a Euro based GD and a Sierra based cobra could be compared as being in the same class.

Yes but again you're underestimating a Sierra's credentials I'd suggest. The Cosworth engined models (excluding the 4x4) used a standard chassis, but with uprated everything else - gearbox, suspension, brakes etc.

p.s. Don't the Cobra reps use a bespoke fabricated chassis but Sierra rear axle, front hubs etc?

p.s. Don't the Cobra reps use a bespoke fabricated chassis but Sierra rear axle, front hubs etc?

I only know one sierra based unit but yes it had a bespoke chassis but used most of the suspension drive and steering components from the Sierra...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Sorry, for me a replica means fake

Deep inside you know is not the real thing, if someone asks you will have to say is a replica, which is like putting socks in your crouch... or using a wig, or asking your sister to pretend is your girlfriend (I dont have one so I have never done this)... the only way this will work is if you dont tell anyone... but if if you dont tell then it makes you a liar which is IMO, worse!

I only know one sierra based unit but yes it had a bespoke chassis but used most of the suspension drive and steering components from the Sierra...

Components which can handle an awful lot of power and win races, the Touring Car RS500 Cosworths ran up to 600bhp. All from 1998cc and 4 cylinders inline.

I agree that a good Cobra rep. should be a v8 btw. More to do with sound and authenticity than outright performance though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cienciano wrote: »
    When I here the word "replica", I think of bad mr2 ferrari conversions.
    http://nlbauto.com/one-bad-ferrari-f355-replica/

At least that's starting from an MR2, someone living very near me started from a Peugeot 406:

http://www.extreme-sportscars.com/360/extras.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Bohrio wrote: »
    Sorry, for me a replica means fake

Deep inside you know is not the real thing, if someone asks you will have to say is a replica, which is like putting socks in your crouch... or using a wig, or asking your sister to pretend is your girlfriend (I dont have one so I have never done this)... the only way this will work is if you dont tell anyone... but if if you dont tell then it makes you a liar which is IMO, worse!

If you're using your car as an extension of a certain body part.
    Each to there own but to me it wouldn't really bother me with the likes of the original replica cars that started this thread.
    They look genuine and play, sound and go the part.
    Most people wouldn't even have the word replica enter there mind when seeing one of those.
    If someone assumes it is a real R8 that's there fault, you don't have to tell them what it is but you don't have to lie either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

If you're using your car as an extension of a certain body part.
    Each to there own but to me it wouldn't really bother me with the likes of the original replica cars that started this thread.
    They look genuine and play, sound and go the part.
    Most people wouldn't even have the word replica enter there mind when seeing one of those.
    If someone assumes it is a real R8 that's there fault, you don't have to tell them what it is but you don't have to lie either.

I havent used my car in months... so I hope not!

but basically its all about pretending... which is the main reason why I dont like replicas but that's just me. Same as I dont go around pretending to be someone else.

World replicas are slightly different, I am more against pretend ferraris etc etc. But even then I rather have the original thing. Hey but I am even against TDI with RS4 batches etc... it does make me laugh a bit do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Ha speaking of which, there is a micra somewhere round my area with a type R badge on the back and front and side.

Advertisement