Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replica cars...........

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What do you think OP? You started the thread.
    We make the identical high end sports cars normally worth over half a million dollars but you can buy our identical perfect Rivals for under thirty thousand dollars. We make dreams a reality selling the equal Rivals of the best designed cars in the world.
    Tbh, I'd love a replica RR but then again it'd be like wearing a fake Rolex, it works but it's not the real deal and you known it and everyone else clued in knows it too.
    I wonder how they away with it, must be brand infringement somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Looks great but i'd love to see it them real. I could live with a fake Roller for a fraction of the price alright though,:).

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

In fairness it is a bit sad, utter attention seeking. I know a guy who tried to tell me his mr2/ferrari was going to cost him €60 to get home from work (about 18 miles). I just laughed as he is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea I don't think I'd mind too much that it wasn't "real" if it was 90% there.

From reading through the specs they're using mostly new Audi engines and transmissions anyway so it's not like it's built on a 1996 1.9 TDI tractor engine or some godawful US setup

I'm surprised they're getting away with it from a patent/copyright perspective though.

DAZP93 wrote: »
    In fairness it is a bit sad, utter attention seeking. I know a guy who tried to tell me his mr2/ferrari was going to cost him €60 to get home from work (about 18 miles). I just laughed as he is an idiot.

Probably true but some people love cars and would never have a hope of buying the real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Jesus, tube frame, v8, paddle shift. Id like to see one of those R8 replicas.

Imagine importing one and trying to sort out the VRT!! I'd imagine you'd grow old trying to explain it was a replica and they'd come up with a VRT figure 5 or six times what you'd have paid for it in the first place! :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the only way of importing one of those is by transfer of residence with zero VRT.

Are they type-approved for use in the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

They look awesome!!! yes please!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

I always thought driving around in a replica would get the same reaction as a bald bloke in a wig. I'd think I'm the bees knees when everyone is staring at me thinking is that real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Would love to see one in real life, the pics look good but can't really judge by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

They're all based on the same engine set-ups / transmittions, chassis etc. so that's a pretty standard recipe for them to work to.

The bodys are all big plastic moulds and I imagine the paint jobs on them won't be that amazing - probably not durable either. but I could be wrong

The interiors impress me, how they can make replica interiors look as good as they do in the photos for that kind of money is pretty cool

I dunno, I reckon they'd be pretty good! it's a modern Audi or BMW engine bolted to a lightweight chassis with a lightweight plastic body.

the things i'd be wary of is where they would be likley to cut corners to keep the costs down. Are those proper brake calipers and discs? is it going to rattle like crazy due to incorrect fitting and poor construction, is the interior going to look cheap and tacky in real life?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I agree with the lads - I personally like the idea of a kit car instead - such as this Honda Accord "Attack", can use a Civic / Prelude / MR2 ;)

http://www.b-racing.cz/en/k1_attack_kit_car_en/

pyhbXFp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

They look amazing in the pic for replicas, and they have good engines to match, I'd love to see one in the flesh if it was as good as it looked I'd be very tempted..

I agree with the mr2 ferrari style conversions though, I've never liked them you're just ruining a good car with a load of plastics stuck on - never seen the appeal of it. But these are built from the ground up and have 400+ bhp engines in them. That R8 looks great, and has the 4.2 Audi FSI engine to match, no idea how they can get away with it from a copyright pov though, or how they can get all those parts and sell at that price - 29,000 USD....22k euro - seems too good to be true for a 430bhp car.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

They are not replicas. This is a scam.

Well documented on Jalopnik.

Pics are of the actual cars, taken from the Internet. You pay. No car is delivered.

http://jalopnik.com/here-come-the-weird-legal-threats-from-super-replicas-468230856

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

maximoose wrote: »
    Would love to see one in real life, the pics look good but can't really judge by them.

Yes, I was fully expecting yet more god aweful 406 "Ferrari" panel gap, wheel spacing misaligned monstrosities.. but these look too good.

secc-audi-r8-img01.jpg

$29,000
    4.2l FSI Audi V8 - 430BHP

430bhp is the BHP of the real R8 (and RS4 etc) engine, but there is no way they are sourcing an engine for less than $10k.. then add transmission, cooling, custom ECU, ABS, Traction control, wheels, interior, body work, paint etc.. I just cannot see how they could sell that for $29k. Or $23k for the version with the Ford V8.

They even offer a version with a BMW V12 engine (550bhp) for $38,000.. Im not even sure would that would physically mount up.

Im extremely dubious, but very impressed if they are actually making these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

SCAM!!!!!!!! SEE ABOVE.

Google "Super Replica's" - The "SR" logo you see on some reg plates and in backgrounds. They have changed names to get away from serious bad press, as they dont actually build these cars. At all. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Makes sense, if it sounds too good to be true....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

In any case, beside the fact this specific website being a scam or not (most likely, it is!), the only justifications I can see to own and drive a replica are:

1- It's a replica of a historical car that no longer exists;
    2- Desperate, childish attention seeking (possibly from the fairer sex);

I can't even begin to see how this stuff could appeal to the car enthusiast, unless we're talking about the type that slaps the spoiler of a Pikes Peak Escudo on the rear end of a 1.4 Civic.

For the average Joe/Jane, however, spotting the difference between one of these Frankencars and a real Ferrari Italia is likely impossible, therefore for attention seeking they'd probably work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Even De Lorean could not make cars for that kind of money with cheap Renault engines in them and the full backing (financial) of the UK Government (on the double - they paid both Lotus and De Lorean for the development).

Are all these supercars the same size so they can take the same chassis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    In any case, beside the fact this specific website being a scam or not (most likely, it is!), the only justifications I can see to own and drive a replica are:

1- It's a replica of a historical car that no longer exists;
    2- Desperate, childish attention seeking (possibly from the fairer sex);

I can't even begin to see how this stuff could appeal to the car enthusiast, unless we're talking about the type that slaps the spoiler of a Pikes Peak Escudo on the rear end of a 1.4 Civic.

For the average Joe/Jane, however, spotting the difference between one of these Frankencars and a real Ferrari Italia is likely impossible, therefore for attention seeking they'd probably work.

I agree with your purist attitude, but at the same time, Id love the feeling id get after walking out of my house and seeing that R8 in the driveway. It looks like sex. It probably sounds like sex, and it probably performs like sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

My problem with kit cars is that after a short time in any sort of regular use, none of the panels seem to line up quite right.. Everything is 99% good, but 1% wrong on the sight lines of what is supposed to be a prestege car is a huge problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Replicas are cool when there replicas of proper race cars or historic cars like the Ford Gt40 or Lancia 037 but a replica of a Ferrari F355 or the likes is just trying to hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭alias no.9

DAZP93 wrote: »

Sounds about right if a tow truck was involved with no break down cover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

The replicas you can get made like the AC cobra one that is floating around is cool.

The likes of the Lancia stratos, ford GT40, cars that don't really exist anymore other then in museums a proper replica is as cool as the original, but only when a decent amount of money has gone into it.
    But then your talking the guts of 50 grand to get it sorted.

Kit cars are a big NO IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

If it was genuine and I had the money in my pocket I'd go for it.
    Some people here saying replicas are useless and for attention seekers.
    Assuming they are real and not a scam why wouldn't you pick up that R8 instead of an 8 year old Aston Martin! They look the part and going by the stats supplied, play the part! Even if they did skimp on things like brakes and suspension I'm sure you could put another 10 grand into it and have them beefed up.

It is a scam though, no way could you source the parts, pay the labour and then make a profit out of the 23grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

One of those Subaru based RS200 would be nice. Can't find a link direct to the company that do them though. All I'm getting is bloody forums!:p

The look without having to change the gearbox every 600km!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

When I here the word "replica", I think of bad mr2 ferrari conversions.
    http://nlbauto.com/one-bad-ferrari-f355-replica/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Tbh, I think one looks a prize one bell end driving around in replica super cars. You either have the real McCoy or don't.

I remember a fella and his burd on a sunny day turned up in a Ferrari replica being an MR2 at my local. Well the howls of derision and slagging was unreal.....I'd say he put a match to it on getting home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Cienciano wrote: »
    When I here the word "replica", I think of bad mr2 ferrari conversions.
    http://nlbauto.com/one-bad-ferrari-f355-replica/

That gave me a great laugh!

Advertisement