Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Waterford or Limerick The Oldest City In Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

orestes wrote: »
    Why ask a question if you are going to ignore the answer and just go with what you want to think anyway?

I asked a question and i deemed Tim The Enchanters answer to be satisfactory.Waterford was an urban settlement long before King John even wrote out his list!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Take the Waterford bashing somewhere else.Im from Cork and it would be my favourite irish city.It's the perfect size it's not too big or too small but Cork and Limerick wouldn't be classed as cities on a global scale.to Even Dublin is pretty small compared other major cities in Europe,Australia and the USA!Cork and Limerick are a fair bit bigger than Waterford but like it or lump it Waterford is a city and it's the oldest city in Ireland actually so put that in your pipe and smoke it.:)

Actually when we were part of the British empire Dublin was regared as the second city of the British Isles. They even put a second Nelson's pillar there and the Irish were so grateful they blew it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I asked a question and i deemed Tim The Enchanters answer to be satisfactory.Waterford was an urban settlement long before King John even wrote out his list!

You asked what is the oldest city, an urban settlement is not a city, and Dublin was an urban settlement before Waterford, so either way Waterford isn't the oldest. If you ask a question about historical fact you can't just go with the answer you like most.

You asked what is the oldest city, an urban settlement is not a city, and Dublin was an urban settlement before Waterford, so either way Waterford isn't the oldest. Sorry.

Can you prove that though?It's up to you to provide the proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I think the OP is trolling to see if they can incite the normal silly responses of where I am is better then where you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

in the usa there are 'cities' with a population of just a few hundred

This is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Derry is the longest continuously inhabited place. OK, it wasn't a city until the 1600s and it isn't even in Ireland, but I'm still right.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I think the OP is trolling to see if they can incite the normal silly responses of where I am is better then where you are.

What proof do you have to say that?:rolleyes: I just thought Tim The Enchanters answer was the most convincing.:rolleyes: Here are some comments by other people on this thread.

Waterford isnt a real city to be fair. it's far too small.

Cork would, and Possibly Limerick.
    Waterford is only a large town in reality.

I asked a simple question but wums tried to derail the thread yet im the one that's trolling.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

u log on and resurrect a thread from 2010 about where the biggest sh1thole in Ireland is and then start of this thread.......

Can you prove that though?It's up to you to provide the proof.

Wiki on history of Dublin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Dublin:_Earliest_times_to_795

Quote regarding the date of Viking settlement (which wasn't even the earliest settlement)
    The Viking settlement of about 841 was known as Dyflin, from the Irish Duiblinn (or "Black Pool", referring to a dark tidal pool where the River Poddle entered the Liffey on the site of the Castle Gardens at the rear of Dublin Castle), and a Gaelic settlement, Áth Cliath ("ford of hurdles") was further up river, at the present day Father Mathew Bridge at the bottom of Church Street.

Wiki on history of Waterford (this is the earliest settlement of Waterford):
    Viking raiders first established a settlement near Waterford in 853.

Dublin was settled earlier, with or without the viking settlement, and was a city first. Something tells me you're going to find some way to disregard this information though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

You asked what is the oldest city, an urban settlement is not a city, and Dublin was an urban settlement before Waterford, so either way Waterford isn't the oldest. If you ask a question about historical fact you can't just go with the answer you like most.

This is the real answer,
    Dublin is the oldest City in Ireland.
    Mount Sandel Mesolithic site in Coleraine is the oldest settlement
    in Ireland.

Wiki on history of Dublin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Dublin:_Earliest_times_to_795

Quote regarding the date of Viking settlement (which wasn't even the earliest settlement)

Wiki on history of Waterford (this is the earliest settlement of Waterford):

Wikipedia wouldn't be the most reliable of sources but if that information is correct then Dublin is still the oldest city in ireland even if you don't go by King Johns charter.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    u log on and resurrect a thread from 2010 about where the biggest sh1thole in Ireland is and then start of this thread.......

That was completely unrelated and my post on that that thread was one of the more dignified posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Boscoirl wrote: »

Kilkenny has a Cathedral you know

Just because it has a Cathedral, doesnt mean its a city, Killarney has one too.

Wikipedia wouldn't be the most reliable of sources but if that information is correct then Dublin is still the oldest city in ireland even if you don't go by King Johns charter.

If it's reliable enough to write college essays I think it's reliable enough for this :)

If it's reliable enough to write college essays I think it's reliable enough for this :)

It's still a wikipedia link.You could be anyone for all i know.:) Nonetheless if it is correct then Dublin is the oldest city in Ireland with Waterford second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Archiological evidence would seem to suggest that waterford was the first viking settlement. There may well have been a settlement in dublin prior to this. Settlement does not necessarily mean city though. For those of you in doubt, visit the viking triangle in waterford sometime and then decide!

Archiological evidence would seem to suggest that waterford was the first viking settlement. There may well have been a settlement in dublin prior to this. Settlement does not necessarily mean city though. For those of you in doubt, visit the viking triangle in waterford sometime and then decide!

Tim until i see more convincing evidence other than a wikipedia link i'll stick to my belief that Waterford is the oldest city in ireland.Some of the buildings in the viking triangle would support this claim.

Tim until i see more convincing evidence other than a wikipedia link i'll stick to my belief that Waterford is the oldest city in ireland.Some of the buildings in the viking triangle would support this claim.

Ok, not using wikipedia, let's see what Irish archeology folks say on their own website about Dublin:

http://irisharchaeology.ie/2011/06/dublins-viking-warrior-burials/
    The Dublin longphort was founded in AD 841 and it soon became the epicentre of Viking activity in Ireland.

http://irisharchaeology.ie/2011/05/dublin-the-prehistoric-city/
    This is lucky for us, as these sites are an important addition to the story of Dublin and they indicate that the city was an attractive place to live and work long before the arrival of the Vikings AD 841.

But, yet again, why do I get the feeling that you're going to disregard this in favour of the answer that you were looking for when you started the thread?

Advertisement