Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all spider experts

Options
13»

Comments

Does very much look like a false widow. Only ever saw the one, it only stood out to me cause of it's size. They're not as dangerous as some British newspaper articles will have you believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

just gonna pop this down here:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NyeNHR1i09s/S_lqibs_AsI/AAAAAAAAAU0/YzuxfL3Zg90/s1600/wolf+spider+with+babies.jpg

yep, that's a wolf spider, carrying around her young. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

fvck sake. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NyeNHR1i09s/S_lqibs_AsI/AAAAAAAAAU0/YzuxfL3Zg90/s1600/wolf+spider+with+babies.jpg

yep, that's a wolf spider, carrying around her young. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thanks,

I don think im gonna stop shivering for a month after that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Amazing photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

A friend was bitten by a spider last year and her foot and lower leg swelled up. The doctor gave some advice, but essentially she just had to put a kind of poultice on it and wait.

The doc claimed it was a spider that is fairly unique to south Dublin/north Wicklow. Sounds like bull to me, do any of you experts know of this chap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

jester77 wrote: »
    Vacuum cleaner is your friend here, have had to do this a few times with mosquitos and fruit flies. Just don't forget to empty the bag, had a a vacuum cleaner full of maggots one summer when I didn't!

My dog loves to eat daddy long legs. She chases them and tries to jump and catch them in mid air. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRP2GFyA47ciP6Dw0FyXYtCXW89jAFBaIH0rxz0ybUqIaT7SJW9IA
    could be a garden spider i have LOADS of them where i am and they get bigger than that. but i like spiders so i dont mind them. they also can be lighter or darker than the pic i put up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what kind of spider this fella is?? Looks freaky. He's out my back garden right now!!!! That's a 5c coin next to him:

LINKY

It looks like a Spider I found in my room a few years ago. If it is the same spider then that is just a baby. The one I found had a sack the size of a euro coin. Lets just say there was a massive splat when he got introduced to the Argos book. You could actually hear the rest of its body fall on my carpet floor, he was that big.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Wilberto wrote: »
    Just imagine trying to step on that.......it'll bite your legs off!!!

Most are harmless. And they are the ones that get eaten in many parts of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

So many pansies on this thread. They're harmless creature who do nothing but make our live better by killing the really horrible things.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Most are harmless. And they are the ones that get eaten in many parts of the world.

I was wondering when someone was going to say that, although frankly, I thought it would have come sooner!!

Ya, I've heard that most (if not all) tarantulas are pretty harmless? I wouldn't be too sure if I'd ever eat one though, and besides, there can't be that much meat on them!! You'd need about 10 of the feckers to get you any bit full!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Wilberto wrote: »
    I was wondering when someone was going to say that, although frankly, I thought it would have come sooner!!

Ya, I've heard that most (if not all) tarantulas are pretty harmless? I wouldn't be too sure if I'd ever eat one though, and besides, there can't be that much meat on them!! You'd need about 10 of the feckers to get you any bit full!!

Oh...they grow to the size of a dinner plate. Plenty to eat, and tons of protein in them.
    Children in the native Amazon tribes hunt them, roast them and eat them. Actually, here's a video:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

dan1895 wrote: »
    So many pansies on this thread. They're harmless creature who do nothing but make our live better by killing the really horrible things.

I'm not sure that it's as simple as people being pansies, as such.

To many people, there is a very real instinctive negative response to our arachnid friends, which is normal in many people, I think. I don't think that it's a choice; I think that it's a genuine fear, ranging from disgust in some people, towards something verging on panic in other people.

The fact that most spiders, including Irish spiders, are completely harmless to people, does not seem to enter into the reckoning. I suppose that one could argue that this fear is irrational in most cases.

But I agree with your point about the practical benefits that spiders provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Fearing spiders is an evolutionary defence mechanism, same as a fear of snakes. All spiders and one quarter of snake species are venomous, and we don't know how dangerous they are going to be based on size etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Fearing spiders is an evolutionary defence mechanism, same as a fear of snakes. All spiders and one quarter of snake species are venomous, and we don't know how dangerous they are going to be based on size etc...

Thank you. I did not know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Hownowcow wrote: »
    Thank you. I did not know that.

Well, actually not all, but something like 99.99% of all spiders. In most cases it's not dangerous to humans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I'm not really afraid of them based on them being venomous, because I didn't know that (apart from the obvious ones)!

I just think they're absolutely horrible looking things and they freak me out, and now that I think about it...I don't know what it is exactly that I hate about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

false widow, their an invasive speicies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Wonder if I can hijack this and see what you think, is this a False Widow as well? There's no obvious markings bar a paler section on its back.

Compost Spider

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Who cares so long as it fits up the hoover:eek:

Advertisement