Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all spider experts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what kind of spider this fella is?? Looks freaky. He's out my back garden right now!!!! That's a 5c coin next to him:LINKY

There was one of them in my classroom the other day. I teach senior infants and am terrified of any spider that isn't a money spider. I didn't want to let them see my fear because a) I didn't want to pass it on and b) they would jeer me.

I said in an excited voice that hid my fear, 'Who wants to go outside on an adventure? ' Lots of hands shot up. 'Who here likes spiders?' Most hands stayed up. I picked 2 of the more responsible ones, gave them a glass and a sheet of card and sent them on their merry way to the garden. All the while, the voice in my head was screaming , 'GEDDIT AWAY FROM ME, GEDDIT AWAY FROM ME!'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

TheUsual wrote: »
    That's not a Spider.

THAT'S A SPIDER > http://www.spiderzrule.com/712/tarantula_02.jpg

They're practically cuddly. It's the ones with longer, thinner legs to their body that are more...ahem..striking

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Does it have the mind of a baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Its a fluffy kitten, it just wants a cuddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

That's a Property Tax spider , been released by the government to mate with those who have'nt paid the tax.

OP , you are , in more than one way , fooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

That's not a Spider.

I keep seeing 10 legs on this spider?! 😦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

they bite(seriously they do), are nocturnal and live for ages, I had one in my shed in the same place never really moved in around 4 years, I thought it was a Black Widow first, nearly crapped meself.

The seem to be everywhere these days..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I keep seeing 10 legs on this spider?! 😦

I think two of them are "feelers" (or whatever the technical term is!).

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

That's not a Spider.

That's not a spider, that's a spoon !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Wilberto wrote: »
    I think two of them are "feelers" (or whatever the technical term is!).

Pedipalps (or just palps) according to wiki.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_anatomy

(Am getting the willies now, too much spiders).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Tegenaria Duellica - big and brown/black, very fast, very mobile during mating season

I HATE those fellas! It's the 'very mobile' bit that freaks me out, as well as the big googley eyes on stalks tracking your every move.

We get massive ones around here, they give me the absolute heebie jeebies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I HATE those fellas! It's the 'very mobile' bit that freaks me out, as well as the big googley eyes on stalks tracking your every move.

We get massive ones around here, they give me the absolute heebie jeebies.

They aren't the eyes! Spider eyes (all eight of em) are on it's head, the two stalks are probably pedipalps, used for feeding and sometimes mating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

used for feeding and sometimes mating

Pretty much describes me alright. Though I only have two legs.

Autumn is the worst when they come in to find warm spots.

I have a september tradition. I head out to the shed with a candle lighter and a can of deodorant. Whooooosh. happy days.

Raid also does for them. Oh and so does bleach solution and sometimes the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

I will ask the question we're all thinking about.

How'd it taste op?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

tin79 wrote: »
    Pretty much describes me alright. Though I only have two legs.

Autumn is the worst when they come in to find warm spots.

I have a september tradition. I head out to the shed with a candle lighter and a can of deodorant. Whooooosh. happy days.

Raid also does for them. Oh and so does bleach solution and sometimes the cat.

Incorrect. These are Giant House Spiders, they live inside. They are always in your house, they just hide really well when it's not mating season. Indoor spiders can only live inside, outdoor spiders can only live outside

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

they are the ones that sound like popcorn when under a magnifing glass on a nice sunny day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

gross!

there's worse than that out there.
    they have re-introduced the "Raft Spider" to the UK and Ireland, and it can be found in water bodies like canals, lakes, rivers etc...

and... they're HUGE...

http://www.irelandswildlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/image4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I used to be be a terrible arachnophobe. Then I lived in a house infested with giant house spiders and now I don't mind them so much

Houses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Looks like one of those spiders that burrow into your head while your asleep and lays eggs and by the time you realise something is wrong and the doctor has your head shaven, thousands of tiny spiders come tumbling out and more than likely a few of those little feckers could burrow back in again.

Kill it or prepare your head to become one giant spider whore house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

That's not a spider, that's a spoon !

I see you've played spidey/spoony before.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

gross!

they have re-introduced the "Raft Spider" to the UK and Ireland, and it can be found in water bodies like canals, lakes, rivers etc...

and... they're HUGE...

Why'd I have to look? !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

gross!

and... they're HUGE...

Not much meat on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I had a door open yesterday evening to the back garden to let some of the cool breeze in. Was sitting in the front room watching the TV. Heard a lot of buzzing over my head - assumed maybe a big insect had flown in.

Turned the lights on - 15 daddy long legs flying around my sitting room :eek:

Went upstairs - girlfriend had left the windows open. Same deal, daddy long legs everywhere.

This is where the spiders became useful. We have high ceilings and there were cobwebs in some corners which caught most of the little bastards. Without them there I'd have been chasing them all over the house all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

o1s1n wrote: »
    I had a door open yesterday evening to the back garden to let some of the cool breeze in. Was sitting in the front room watching the TV. Heard a lot of buzzing over my head - assumed maybe a big insect had flown in.

Turned the lights on - 15 daddy long legs flying around my sitting room :eek:

Went upstairs - girlfriend had left the windows open. Same deal, daddy long legs everywhere.

This is where the spiders became useful. We have high ceilings and there were cobwebs in some corners which caught most of the little bastards. Without them there I'd have been chasing them all over the house all night.

Vacuum cleaner is your friend here, have had to do this a few times with mosquitos and fruit flies. Just don't forget to empty the bag, had a a vacuum cleaner full of maggots one summer when I didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

jester77 wrote: »
    Vacuum cleaner is your friend here, have had to do this a few times with mosquitos and fruit flies. Just don't forget to empty the bag, had a a vacuum cleaner full of maggots one summer when I didn't!

Oh you genius!! I was trying to figure a way to get rid of them and kept turning up a blank. Was going to go bug spray but then I'd have to dispose of the bodies as they fell. (eugh!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

Why'd I have to look? !

its awful. i hate spiders, and i live on the water, so i'm sh!tting it every time i go out the back. AAGH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

its awful. i hate spiders, and i live on the water, so i'm sh!tting it every time i go out the back. AAGH!

Are you a duck?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The following extract is about Raft Spiders:
    Courtship is a protracted affair, involving a very careful approach by the male across the water’s surface. He has every reason to be cautious. Should he inadvertently trigger the female’s instinctive predatory response he could easily become her next meal.

When he finally gets close enough to the female both sexes bob their bodies slowly up and down in a spidery courtship dance. Mating itself only takes a few seconds, after which the male makes a swift exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Alright

I found a false widow spider in my shed a few years ago and didn't kill it.
    Now I find many :( including this one.

http://imgur.com/a/EdFQk

Advertisement