Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby by weight

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

awec wrote: »
    Would definitely be interested in tag, it's the only type of rugby I can play - don't have the pace or bulk required for the real thing.

That said, I haven't played tag in 5 or 6 years. :o

Are ye allowed to kick in tag? I can't remember.
    Yes you can kick but not above head height.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm a bit of a tag hoor I guess, playing on 5 teams 6 times a week :P

One of the reasons I asked about the weight thing is that I played tag over the winter for the first time this year and saw an awful lot of people who are playing tag right the way through, its not a summer sport anymore.

Personally its not my excuse, I'm almost 90kg and could probably bulk that up a fair bit fairly quick. Personally I think lightweight rugby would work as an introductory thing. Just to get lads out the pitch. All the players posting in this thread are dead right when they say weight isn't everything on a rugby pitch, but while that is all very well for current players, its not attracting new players.

I talk to a lot of people each year who are talking about taking up rugby but think that they are going to need to bulk up beforehand, sure how many times have we seen posters in boards post with those very concerns. I think this would be a way to give them some reward before loading them with commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

sydthebeat wrote: »

There's a bit of a trend developing there, fair enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

There's a bit of a trend developing there, fair enough!

Gives as good as he gets.

http://youtu.be/KFYWkEIRWiI

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Steve Perchance

errlloyd wrote: »
    Personally its not my excuse, I'm almost 90kg and could probably bulk that up a fair bit fairly quick. Personally I think lightweight rugby would work as an introductory thing. Just to get lads out the pitch. All the players posting in this thread are dead right when they say weight isn't everything on a rugby pitch, but while that is all very well for current players, its not attracting new players.

I talk to a lot of people each year who are talking about taking up rugby but think that they are going to need to bulk up beforehand, sure how many times have we seen posters in boards post with those very concerns. I think this would be a way to give them some reward before loading them with commitment.

In fairness, there is a misconception that you need to be huge to play rugby. 90kg is plenty big enough. I'm less than that and I've played against lots of lads who are smaller than me at j4. You don't need to bulk up - just rock up to preseason at your nearest club in August/September and enjoy playing.

Rugby is a game about attitude, aggression, speed and quick-thinking. All of those attributes are more important than weight. If I had a choice between tackling a 13 stone center with no body fat running at me at full tilt, or a twenty stone prop who's got so much belly fat it's like hitting a tackle bag, I'll hit the fatty every time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

In fairness, there is a misconception that you need to be huge to play rugby. 90kg is plenty big enough. I'm less than that and I've played against lots of lads who are smaller than me at j4. You don't need to bulk up - just rock up to preseason at your nearest club in August/September and enjoy playing.

Rugby is a game about attitude, aggression, speed and quick-thinking. All of those attributes are more important than weight. If I had a choice between tackling a 13 stone center with no body fat running at me at full tilt, or a twenty stone prop who's got so much belly fat it's like hitting a tackle bag, I'll hit the fatty every time :)

what if he was just a 20 stone prop with no fat?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

what if he was just a 20 stone prop with no fat?

If he's 20 stone and has no fat, he's not playing J4 or close to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

And an absolutely cracking player too!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dingbat

You don't need any size at all to play J4/J5 rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

You don't even need all your limbs to play J4/J5 rugby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

You don't even need all your limbs to play J4/J5 rugby!

If you can consistently catch a ball you are out of place :)

Advertisement