Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lovely Budget Mech Mod

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Whats your resistance reading Cagey? As it's a mechanical mod the vape is very dependent on the coil.
    I have mine at 1.2 Ohms and its hitting great. Though I am using Puros 24mg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The coil I made this morning is at 2.1 ohms, the pro-tank was a bit better on it. But still not as hard hitting as on the Vamo. I'm just not used to the slightly smoother hit from it maybe.

I got a bottle of Puros 24 in my vape mail this morning :) Can't wait to try it, but steeping it a day or two first. I found that to work wonders on the VP and Cigarillos.

I'd try a lower ohm coil.
    2.1 Ohms (for me anyway) wouldn't work on a mech.
    I'm happy at around 1.0-1.2 Ohms for the Sigelei setup.
    If I was at 2.1 Ohms I'd probably put a kick in it, and then, well, it just wouldn't be as small!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Agreed. 2 ohms ish is too high, has to be 1 ish. Try for 1.2 ohm that will sort you. 1.6 would be good too.

N00b alert: How to ensure you get lower ohms? Is it simply a case of less wraps of wire?

• Advertisement

Chant ohm slowly for lower ohmage

That or using a combination of thicker wire and or less wraps

You sure it's not "Oud"? ;)

I'll give less wraps a go later on. I got a roll of coil, think it's 0.20? but the first build I used whatever they had in the wee packet they give you for your first go at it.

You sure it's not "Oud"? ;)

I'll give less wraps a go later on. I got a roll of coil, think it's 0.20? but the first build I used whatever they had in the wee packet they give you for your first go at it.

Yeah 0.2 wrap it three and a half times. So like looks like 4 wraps on top. Two on outside two on inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Less length = less ohms.

Mech mods don't have the circuitry to correct the voltage for the parts conducting, so you're limited by whatever connections are inside. Use an ohm calculator and expect the mech mod to be 0.2-1V off, depending on the connections. 0.5V is the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Personally I find the .25mm kanthal from ez smoke easier to get low ohms with. 4 wraps in the a7=1.2ohms every time. For some godforsaken reason .2mm was giving me 1.6ohms with 3 wraps and 2ishohms with 4 wraps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

I'm liking the ribbon kanthal at the moment. 3 wraps of 0.4mm on my AGA-T gives a 1.0 ohm coil and a rather pleasant, warm vape on my mech with a heap of flavour (Still enjoying Halo Belgian Cocoa as my everyday vape)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

Mine is running on 1.4 and there is plenty of poke from it, wouldn't need any more, had 2.5ohm pro tank on it and yea well that wasn't so good.

Ionised wrote: »
    I'm liking the ribbon kanthal at the moment. 3 wraps of 0.4mm on my AGA-T gives a 1.0 ohm coil and a rather pleasant, warm vape on my mech with a heap of flavour (Still enjoying Halo Belgian Cocoa as my everyday vape)

Yeah, ribbon is good for low ohms but I found it a bit of a whore to work with in the a7.

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Yeah, ribbon is good for low ohms but I found it a bit of a whore to work with in the a7.

Tis a little fiddly on the A7 but it's a real steam machine when you get it just right. I do the 'vape dance' when I get a coil just so on my A7...in private like :o

Another thing Cagey, as grindle indicated above about length, is to keep it the overall coil quite close to the +/- posts, but not touching, obviously. This cuts down on the overall length of the coil (from point A to B) and consequently helps bring down your ohms.
    Couple this with less wraps (and maybe thicker kanthal, but I don't think you have more than one gauge) you should be able to get it down to around 1.3 Ohms no problem.
    Don't wrap coils too tight also as it impedes the silica from wicking effectively.
    People often use a paperclip and wrap the kanthal around both silica and paperclip to avoid strangling the silica. ..but not so loose that its sliding all over the shop..
    I've never used ribbon kanthal. Must get some!

Thanks for the advice, and sorry for taking over the thread! But I have had success tonight! Decided to take some snaps as I went along, as much to go over when I messed up [I did first time, snapped the wire after tightening ... d'oh] as to post up.

http://imgur.com/a/yromT

If you can make it out ok, it's basically 3 wraps with a lead out on the left - kept the wick shortish so it would go tidy up into the atty cover. 1.4 ohms, yay! It's not bad considering it took me 4 goes total to get there :D

And to keep OT: last pic shows the finished atty on the Sigelei 20, beside yer standard clipper lighter. Shows how dinky it is :)

RLYWE4A.jpg

btw, it's Puros I tried in it, Mmmmm - this may well replace VP as my #1, it's similar but the taste is more potent, and I love it!

quintron wrote: »
    I've never used ribbon kanthal. Must get some!

I can throw a bit in an envelope to you if you want to give it a try

Ionised I'll trade you some ribbon kanthal for some juice. the imgur pictures look good. When it dry burns the coils show glow red fairly evenly. The inside coils always glow hotter than the outside coils but this is okay. From the looks of it you have got it down pat. Good job.

Yeah, I forgot to take one of the dry coils, they were glowing nicely though ;) And the one with the vapour doesn't do it justice, it's kicking out good vapour once set up.

Ionised wrote: »
    I can throw a bit in an envelope to you if you want to give it a try

That would be great Ionised! Cheers man! I'll PM you my address.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

http://imgur.com/a/yromT

btw, it's Puros I tried in it, Mmmmm - this may well replace VP as my #1, it's similar but the taste is more potent, and I love it!

Great shots Cagey. What you shooting with?

Shot those with my wee Sony RX-100 :) it's perfect for quickies like that. Normally use a Nikon D800E, as I'm a photographer. Got the Sony for a more pocket-able, quick fire option. I'd be too fussy using the big cam for anything like this. The Sony isn't cheap, but it's a little cracker.

Love the can of beer in the last pic! Very important to keep properly hydrated while working :-)

Ha, somewhere in there is a messy layout of what I thought most vapers would relate to. Yer bits and bobs everywhere and some coolant [beer] on the side, because you deserve it for all your hard work :D

Advertisement