Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloom in the park 2013

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Gra246

Thanks Paddy147 - I'm going to Bloom today, for the first time (excited!) - so advice is most welcome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Gra246 wrote: »
    Thanks Paddy147 - I'm going to Bloom today, for the first time (excited!) - so advice is most welcome.

Ive just added some pics to my last post.

Pics taken by me on Tuesday,while I was over there with a friend of ours who was working/planting there.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

nc6000 wrote: »
    I see Ticketmaster have a typo on their Bloom page.....:eek:

"Adult Ticket with Promotional Disocunt Code"

Didn't believe you but there it was.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

nudger wrote: »
    Didn't believe you but there it was.:D

Apology accepted.

This was the winning garden from RTE Super Garden being finished off on Tuesday morning.
    I had a quick chat with the lady who designed it.She was well delighted to say the least.:)

Judges were allready doing their rounds on some of the gardens and viewing/scoring them.:)

• Advertisement

Tesco Clarehall and Artane have more Keelings Strawberries in stock.

5 euro voucher for Bloom inside each pack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

The Tesco in Fleet Street had loads of the Keelings Packs yesterday afternoon.

Keelings are sponsering one of the gold medal winning gardens at Bloom this year.

Its a small-medium garden.

Had to laugh at this bit though.......the Irish garden designer imported in her trained/pleeched apple trees for the garden from Holland.

So much or buying from an Irish supplier/nursery.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

paddy147 wrote: »
    Keelings are sponsering one of the gold medal winning gardens at Bloom this year.

Its a small-medium garden.

Had to laugh at this bit though.......the Irish garden designer imported in her trained/pleeched apple trees for the garden from Holland.

So much or buying from an Irish supplier/nursery.

Yeah that was on TV last night, one of her pear trees had a broken branch and she was in a mad panic trying to get another one shipped over from Holland in time for the judges.

Got me thinking on how much of our plants are imported. I would of thought our climate would be similar to that of Holland so it must be down to cost.

Tulipout wrote: »
    Yeah that was on TV last night, one of her pear trees had a broken branch and she was in a mad panic trying to get another one shipped over from Holland in time for the judges.

Got me thinking on how much of our plants are imported. I would of thought our climate would be similar to that of Holland so it must be down to cost.

A large amout of the horticulture industry in Ireland is supplied by nurseries and companies in Holland.

Cost is one of the issues.But surely for a bloom garden,she could have easily got some nice pleached apple and pear trees from an irish supplier/grower.

Pleeching isnt that hard a task to do.

I just thought it was kinda funny that Keelings (huge factory and fruit growing greenhouses in St Margerets) were sponsering that ladies show garden,yet she imported in the apple and pear trees from Holland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

I just thought it was kinda funny that Keelings (huge factory and fruit growing greenhouses in St Margerets) were sponsering that ladies show garden,yet she imported in the apple and pear trees from Holland.

I didn't notice the sponsors but yeah you think they could manage to find one tree in Ireland to complete her design. I can only think that she is a bit of a perfectionist, maybe even has a touch of OCD and wanted that exact type of tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭muppet_man

Theres also 4 wheeled mobility scooters and wheelchairs available for free to any people that cant walk on their own and need assistance.

Does anyone have more information on these mobility scooters? Do you need to book or are there plenty available? On the bloom website I only seen mention of wheelchairs being available.
    My elderly mam would love to go but wouldn't be up to all the walking.

muppet_man wrote: »
    Does anyone have more information on these mobility scooters? Do you need to book or are there plenty available? On the bloom website I only seen mention of wheelchairs being available.
    My elderly mam would love to go but wouldn't be up to all the walking.

They are available at the main orginisers office...thanks to the Irish wheelchair organisation.

There were plenty available last year....I was nearly run over by an old granny flying around in one of them...:pac::pac::D

The organisers area is also where the gardai and medical centre are based.

You cant miss it as its a huge white tented area.:)

http://bloominthepark.com/yourtrip/

Irish Wheelchair Association - Wheelchair Hire Service

A wheelchair hire facility will be made available at the event in association with The Irish Wheelchair Association where a deposit of €20.00 will be required on collection and returned on return of wheelchair

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Well done to the best in show and (another)gold medal winner Gerard Mullen from Dungarvan.

Deadly garden

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

`which one was that?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Well done to the best in show and (another)gold medal winner Gerard Mullen from Dungarvan.

Deadly garden

Underground rainwater harvesting tank in too.;):D

Fantastic use of native irish plants/weeds.:)

I have pics here of him finishing off the garden on Tuesday morning,just before the judges came around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh thought you were gone for good when I saw banned under tour name :eek:

Oh thought you were gone for good when I saw banned under tour name :eek:

:D

Had a good chat with the man in question this afternoon,when we were back over at Bloom.

Garden plants are all native plants to Ireland.:)
    Underground rainwater tank for collecting water.

A beautiful garden imo.:)

• Advertisement

This was the garden last Tuesday morning,with the final touches being applied to it.

We bought a few plant bargains there at 5pm this afternoon too.

Most of the plants were dropped down to half price by the various nurseries and traders,once 5pm came around.

Thank god for the large Ikea bag too.:)

We bought a few plant bargains there at 5pm this afternoon too.

Most of the plants were dropped down to half price by the various nurseries and traders,once 5pm came around.

Thank god for the large Ikea bag too.:)

Nice cuddly toys, meoww !!

Nice cuddly toys, meoww !!

Our daughter was so happy when she saw the Dublin Zoo stand.

She was hoping it would be there again,like it was last years Bloom.:)

Our daughter was so happy when she saw the Dublin Zoo stand.

She was hoping it would be there again,like it was last years Bloom.:)

Nice 1, and were they selling off their stuff cheapo this avo?

Nice 1, and were they selling off their stuff cheapo this avo?

Yep last day and last few hours is when the bargains are to be had.

Alot of the nurseries and traders decide not to take the plants with them,as they were especially grown for Bloom and for their display stands,so they simply drop the price on the last day of Bloom in order to sell/offload as much of them as possible.Some of the plants will have slightly dried out over the weekend,from the heat,but nothing a soak in some water for an hour of 2 cant easily sort out,once back home.

My girlfriend had a specific/select few type of plants she was after,so thats what we did at 5pm....we went shopping for them.:)

There were also some great deals to be had on garden furniture,chainsaws,lawnmowers,shredders etc etc and also on the likes of chicken coops.

Also childrens outdoor swing/slide sets and lots more like composite doors,upvc windows,stone paving and solar hot water systems..

Yep last day and last few hours is when the bargains are to be had.

Alot of the nurseries and traders decide not to take the plants with them,as they were especially grown for Bloom and for their display stands,so they simply drop the price on the last day of Bloom in order to sell/offload as much of them as possible.Some of the plants will have slightly dried out over the weekend,from the heat,but nothing a soak in some water for an hour of 2 cant easily sort out,once back home.

My girlfriend had a specific/select few type of plants she was after,so thats what we did at 5pm....we went shopping for them.:)

Sorry I meant specifically Dublin Zoo's shop

Sorry I meant specifically Dublin Zoo's shop

They knocked 2 euro off the price of each of the cuddly toys and animal themed notebook for her.

Our daughter is a good little haggler too.;):D

• Advertisement
Advertisement