Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age did your first child sleep in their own room?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My son is 4 and 3months old and due to space restrictions, we are sharing a room, it will be even tighter in July with no.2. I was sleeping on the couch in the sitting room for nearly a year happily (comfy couch) but with my big belly, safety meant having to go in with him again. My partner has a small room to himself. He's the worst sleeper and snores and about 5 other things so it is just until we can afford a bigger place. When baby is starting to sleep better I will move back to the couch and let the kids share the big room. Not ideal, but what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

One thing I won't be doing is having them share our bed. I know I will need to be disciplined about this as it is such an easy habit to slip into. But on the advice of several of our friends who fell into the trap of the kids sleeping in the parents beds and how difficult it can be to get them into their own bed, this is something I am very determined I will follow through on - especially with two of them! there would literally be no room for daddy and we can't have that! :p

The two of them in a cot together in your room might work if its purely from a space pov that its a problem :)
    I thought my little guy would be in with us for so much longer because my husband and myself were quite comfortable with him in the bed, little mr independent proved a lot of people wrong by moving himself out! Haha!
    It's definitely a whatever fits best for the family though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

both babies left my bed at 6months and have never been back.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

liliq wrote: »
    The two of them in a cot together in your room might work if its purely from a space pov that its a problem :)
    I
    We would probably only just fit one moses basket, let alone one cot. We could probably get rid of the wardrobe to make space, but that just means that it will have to go into the spare room, so it's the same thing really.

Our room is right next to where the babies will be, literally two or three steps further than the end of the room anyway, so it's no big deal for them to be in the other room.

I'm still very early in my pregnancy, so I am just hoping that both little bubs will hang on and stay strong. I really hope that working out where to put them will be a problem, because that means that both of them made it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Our babba just went into her own room last week. This day last week. She's 3 months, or to be precise, she was 14 weeks and 2 days on her first solo night.

I was a bit worried that it was too early but she's fine. She's more likely to sleep through now than in her swing cot in Mami and Daddys room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

I moved my fella into his own room at 8 weeks cos he was a noisy sleeper, waking me up throughout the night.
    He was sleeping through the night from a few days old so no need for him to be in our room.
    Due our little girl in sept and she`ll be in her own room when she starts sleeping through or whenever she outgrows the crib (5ish months) cos there`s no room for a cotbed in our room. Which ever is sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mouzone

Our 2 girls moved to their own room at 7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

My LO is 9 weeks tomo and we are debating whether to move her into her own room. She has been sleeping 9.30pm-5 for a while now but she is such a noisy sleeper I find myself awake for ages listening to every noise wondering if she's going to wake (husband has no such problems ;) )! Was wide eyed until 3am this morning.... With a baby who sleeps well its a sin. Her room is right beside ours so should be ok.

Was full sure she'd be in with us until 6months, you just never know, I'd been feeling so guilty about it you'd swear I wanted to move her to the garden shed but reading all the responses to this thread has been interesting and helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

I am so surprised that people are not co-sleeping with their babies longer. My son is 10 months and it hasn't even crossed my mind to move him.
    He still wakes 2-3 times a night and I am too lazy to be trekking into another room each time he wakes. It is handier to have him next to me. Are the parents who are moving the babies out doing so because they are following a routine based style (something like Gina Ford)?
    I stopped breastfeeding at 7-8 months corrected/10-11 months actual and have regretted stopping so soon and dont want to have the same regrets with co-sleeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I am so surprised that people are not co-sleeping with their babies longer. My son is 10 months and it hasn't even crossed my mind to move him.
    He still wakes 2-3 times a night and I am too lazy to be trekking into another room each time he wakes. It is handier to have him next to me. Are the parents who are moving the babies out doing so because they are following a routine based style (something like Gina Ford)?
    I stopped breastfeeding at 7-8 months corrected/10-11 months actual and have regretted stopping so soon and dont want to have the same regrets with co-sleeping.
    Because what works for one parent or baby does not work for all.

While I had a lovely idea in my head about having the baby in my room, in reality, we are both noisy sleepers, and so we actually all sleep better being in our own rooms. Nothing to do with a routine or what anyone said in a book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Are the parents who are moving the babies out doing so because they are following a routine based style (something like Gina Ford)?

Nothing to do with routine with me, just what suited. Both of mine were sleeping through the night and I wanted to be able to put a light on to read and when I went back to work I wanted to be able to sort out clothes etc for the next morning. Made sense to me as I got the room back and we all got better sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Because what works for one parent or baby does not work for all.

While I had a lovely idea in my head about having the baby in my room, in reality, we are both noisy sleepers, and so we actually all sleep better being in our own rooms. Nothing to do with a routine or what anyone said in a book.
    Nothing to do with routine with me, just what suited. Both of mine were sleeping through the night and I wanted to be able to put a light on to read and when I went back to work I wanted to be able to sort out clothes etc for the next morning. Made sense to me as I got the room back and we all got better sleep.

Thanks for that. I spend my life second guessing myself, thinking i must be doing something wrong. I suppose I should count myself lucky that I am and always have been a light sleeper, getting up to go to the loo at least 2 times a night and my little man could sleep with a marching band + parade of elephants stomping through the room and over the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think if you read the thread you would see a variety of reasons. noisy sleeping people waking up other people. Or maybe the untold one... Sometimes people want to start trying for another baby!

Awkward with another member of the family in the room.

pwurple wrote: »
    Or maybe the untold one... Sometimes people want to start trying for another baby!

Awkward with another member of the family in the room.

I've heard a lot of co sleepers agree that you end up with a more interesting sex life, when you're not going to NOT have sex but the bed isn't the best option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

I've heard a lot of co sleepers agree that you end up with a more interesting sex life, when you're not going to NOT have sex but the bed isn't the best option!

Lol this is so true. My little one co slept and slept in Moses basket beside the bed, we moved him when he was about 10mths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Haha. The only time in your life when someone mopping the kitchen floor becomes a bit saucy? :)

I'd be interested to know how this works! :) Up until my lad was a year old, he didn't do many naps. My OH works all day. Then when he comes home in the evening, L was wide awake. So at least during the week, the only time for a bit of cheekiness is at night, when the baby is asleep.

I'd be interested to know how this works! :) Up until my lad was a year old, he didn't do many naps. My OH works all day. Then when he comes home in the evening, L was wide awake. So at least during the week, the only time for a bit of cheekiness is at night, when the baby is asleep.

The couch is a great place! ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Well I don't want to think about how "interesting" it got for them but my little brother was born while I still shared a room with my parents, so it definitely happens.:eek:

The couch is a great place! ;)
    Personally, the couch would not be particularly exotic for us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Lol us too ivy but we did have more sex in the shower, two birds one stone...lol

sari wrote: »
    Lol us too ivy but we did have more sex in the shower, two birds one stone...lol
    Haha yeah especially because it's hard to get time for a shower or sex in the early days! :)

Personally, the couch would not be particularly exotic for us!

That's half my point, it's not too hard to figure out sex around co sleeping :)

Pretty much day 1 with us.

Advertisement