Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age did your first child sleep in their own room?

Options
  • 27-05-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭

How old was your first child when you put them sleeping in their own room? If there were some circumstances that affected the decision please post the reason, eg. another baby on the way.

At what age did your first child sleep in their own room? 136 votes

0-12 months
    0% 0 votes
    1 year old (13-24 months)
    72% 98 votes
    2 years old (25-36 months)
    16% 23 votes
    3 years old (37-48 months)
    8% 11 votes
    4 years old (49-60 months)
    2% 4 votes
    5 or older
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

10 months but that was out of necessity. We didn't move into our own house til then and hadn't the room to move him into his own room at my parents house. Would have been 6 months otherwise if we had room!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Four and a half months. She was waking up when we were going to bed and slept through the night great on her own, so we made it a permanent arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

5 and a half months and he loved it! Settled into the cot right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

6 months. It got to the stage where we were keeping each other awake so we moved him into his own room a d he started sleeping much better straight away.

Initially I was totally against it but my husband insisted, in a rare moment of putting his foot down about these things, and after the first night and a decent sleep for everyone I was glad we'd done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

I think our first child went into her own room around 9 months.

Our second unfortunately won't even sleep in his own cot at 9 months, so we are facing a battle to get him into his own room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

6 months.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

12 months for the 1st but that was because we lacked space and 12 months for the second because I slept better with her in the room and small boy is now 4 months and I reckon he will be in his own room by 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Just before 3 months. He had been sleeping the night (10-7ish) mostly but my husband was on shift work so his alarm was going off at weird and different times and generally we were all disturbing each others sleep I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

8 months. I would have preferred 4 months but circumstances conspired against us so it was delayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

About 10 weeks. She was sleeping through 11-7 from 4 weeks and as others have said we were all disturbing each other. Both her and OH snore and they would both wake me. At least I could give OH a dig in the ribs and get him to roll over. I got a movement monitor for peace of mind too.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

First son was 6 weeks. 2nd at 5 weeks. However the reasons for so early was that they grew out of the moses basket. Both were nearly 9lbs when born and the cot didn't fit in our room so when they got too big for the moses basket they had to move.

However I was also more than happy. Ironically i was more comfortable once they moved. I was anxious that we would wake them - so we actually all slept better.

number 3 will probably be the same. The first 2 slept through at 8 and 9 weeks and I am a firm believer that being in their own room helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Yep my first was 6 months exactly should have moved her sooner in hind sight as we usrd to disturb her

but second baby went in around 3months to different room
    Depends on tge baby though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

6 weeks. She snores!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

She's almost 2.5 and we are mostly still co-sleeping. Occasionally she will sleep in the other room but we all sleep better when she is in with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

1st: 3 months - himself was waking her up when he snored, she slept much better on her own.
    2nd: 6 weeks - same as above
    3rd: Nearly 6 months! The other two had their own rooms and I didn't want to disturb them and she was a good sleeper anyway so she stayed a bit longer and then shared with number 2 until she started waking her up at night, then she got her own room and the older two share now.

All three are finally sleeping through the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

18 months.
    We did up his room, got him a bed etc. and he started going into his room himself when we were bringing him up for the night.
    He comes into us after his 2nd waking at around 5am most nights.
    I would have preferred if he had stayed in with us until he was sleeping through but he had other ideas! He's 20 months now, I'm guessing sometime within the next 4/10 months he'll be in his own bed more full time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

5 months. We could have moved him sooner as he was sleeping through the night way before that, but I procrastinated about doing up his room. A bit earlier with the second, but again I didn't get my ass in gear to tidy the spare room!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

16 months, only because second baby was about to be born. I slept much better when she was with us. No. 2 is co sleeping ( although has no problem sleeping in a cot, I'm just lazy breastfeeder). Planning to move her to a big cot as soon as her sister move to " big girls bed" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

1 year

I doubt you will get a clear indication from this poll.
    I think parents are made to feel guilty/ clingy/ overprotective etc.. if they keep baby in their room for 'too long'. Hence most of the replies are very early ages, with lots of justifications as to why it wasn't earlier, and very few replies from those who put them in much much later.

Personally I put my baby in at 1 because of reccomedations re cot death and because up until then he would wake up looking for his soother regularly. By one he was able to find it himself so I didn't need to go in to him every couple of hours.

There is no correct age to move baby into own room.
    I think that a baby should move if the parent can't sleep because they wake at baby's every whimper or if baby wakes when you make a noise .
    Or like other posters said, if they sleep the whole night by themselves.

With this baby it will depend on when my toddler is ready to share his room with his baby sister (or when I can trust him not to climb into her cot, or take her soother etc... Hmmm could be a while!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

I was wondering the same last night when first year movers accounted for over 80% whether that percentage reflected reality or reflected a reluctance on the part of the late movers to take part in the poll. I had thought that the poll being anonymous would have eliminated that as a factor, but the comments do generally seem to be along the lines of "would have liked to move sooner".

We're still in the same room as our little guy, who will soon be 3. He has his own bed and some nights he sleeps all night in it and other nights we wake up in the morning to find him in between us. Mammy doesn't mind, I don't mind, and he doesn't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Over a year old but that was only because I was living at home. Once I moved out and there was a spare room, in she went.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think it's a case of whatever works for each individual family. There's no right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

josip wrote: »
    We're still in the same room as our little guy, who will soon be 3. He has his own bed and some nights he sleeps all night in it and other nights we wake up in the morning to find him in between us. Mammy doesn't mind, I don't mind, and he doesn't mind.

I say enjoy it while it lasts and especially if all three of you enjoy it.
    My sis co-slept with her son up until he started primary school, it really suited them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

From birth, our room is right next door and we both are light sleepers. Whatever works for each family is fine, they all find their feet at some stage anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

We had him in our room for the first 3 months, then he grew out of the moses basket, and we had no room in our room for his "normal" baby bed, so we moved him into his own room. Initially I was sad at the idea of not having him in the same room as me, but straight the difference in our quality of sleep changed my mind! It seemed we had been waking him up, and vice versa! He often cries out/babbles in his sleep so we get a much better sleep in another room, and at the same time, the rooms are beside each other so if he cries properly, we hear him.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

7 months old. He sleeps better now as he doesn't wake as early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I'm only pregnant on my first and second at the moment, but I envisage them being in their own room from the time they come home. First off there is no way two moses baskets will fit in our bedroom, and secondly our house is so small that the babies room will be probably as close to our bed as other parents have in the same room! I suppose we'll have to see how it actually works in practice, but from a practical point of view I can't see how we would manage to have them both in our room.

One thing I won't be doing is having them share our bed. I know I will need to be disciplined about this as it is such an easy habit to slip into. But on the advice of several of our friends who fell into the trap of the kids sleeping in the parents beds and how difficult it can be to get them into their own bed, this is something I am very determined I will follow through on - especially with two of them! there would literally be no room for daddy and we can't have that! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

1st - 8 weeks,
    2nd - 6 weeks & the twins 4 weeks. Purely personal decisions & thats what worked for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

We just moved to his room was'nt ready. 12wks on our second until she figured out at 3 how to get out of the cot, she's been in our bed since.

Advertisement