Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Democracy is a farce and a sham.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

There would be no elections and no career politicians. There would be random selections. Duration in office would have to be shorter to discourage corruption and once someone serves in office they are excluded from future selections. Political parties would not exist and those selected would be bound to adhere to a constitution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenian_democracy

It's all ideal and everything but some people don't like to play by the "rule's".In particular,Psychopath's,Of which many are able to command important role's in political office as well as other place's.Any such system would soon be eroded by power hungry individual's.

A constitution is alway's going to be difficult to adhere to as well.Any sort of amendment that would divide the masses lead's to manipulation and grand rhetoric at the least and conflict at the worst,Which are all symptom's of the kind of government we have now anyway.

The only solution I can find is for a psychopathy test for everyone when they reach 13.If the result's find that you are a psycho then you get shot in the face.
    Utopia!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

bradlente wrote: »
    The only solution I can find is for a psychopathy test for everyone when they reach 13.If the result's find that you are a psycho then you get shot in the face.
    Utopia!

A common misconception is that psychopaths are serial killers etc. They can be a lot more subtle than that and politics as it currently stands is a magnet for them. There is one former Taoiseach that definitely fits the profile of a psychopath. It can be safely said that a high percentage of politicians are psychopaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Democracy is a farce and a sham.

and a sham!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

The great confidence trick is what it is.
    Hook in the mass public with illusions of universal decision making and power sharing and consulting.
    [FONT=Arial, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]The Dutch have a saying The best pilots stand ashore
    What I don't get is, why did it take so long for me to see this?
    Somebody must have been washing my brain
    .[/SIZE][/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

There would be no elections and no career politicians. There would be random selections. Duration in office would have to be shorter to discourage corruption and once someone serves in office they are excluded from future selections. Political parties would not exist and those selected would be bound to adhere to a constitution.

So people would not be able to vote. So how would taxes, law's etc be inacted. They be changed everytime someone would get into the goverment or whatever you call it. That could cause chaos. NO SORRY NOT FOR ME

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

A common misconception is that psychopaths are serial killers etc. They can be a lot more subtle than that and politics as it currently stands is a magnet for them. There is one former Taoiseach that definitely fits the profile of a psychopath. It can be safely said that a high percentage of politicians are psychopaths.

There is also some who say that the greatest people in business have psychopath traits but of course use it is different ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    So what do you propose?

I'm always fascinated by people who say democracy doesn't work. What's the alternative?

Also we're not really a "democracy" to be precise. I can't think of any countries that are to be honest. Most countries have adopt representative form of democracy.

A benevolent dictatorship or a technocracy are two forms of government that could deliver economic prosperity and stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

A benevolent dictatorship or a technocracy are two forms of government that could deliver economic prosperity and stability.

No such thing as a benevolent dictatorship, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Technocracy, rule by "experts", would be just as bad as a theocracy, the "experts" would view themselves as infallible and superior to those that they rule. It could be argued that the Soviet Union was a technocracy. What a mess that turned out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

No such thing as a benevolent dictatorship, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Technocracy, rule by "experts", would be just as bad as a theocracy, the "experts" would view themselves as infallible and superior to those that they rule. It could be argued that the Soviet Union was a technocracy. What a mess that turned out to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benevolent_dictatorship

When it's in a leader's interest's to improve society he/she will do so regardless of what form of governance it may be.Power corrupt's but it dosen't necessarily produce an evil of some sort.Although more than often it probably does.

Advertisement