Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Purge

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Oh, and to add insult to injury, The Purge 2 is already in development :rolleyes:

Sadly, when a film costs $3M and earns $86M globally (source), a sequel is pretty much inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Fysh wrote: »
    Sadly, when a film costs $3M and earns $86M globally (source), a sequel is pretty much inevitable.

I wouldn't be too annoyed with the prospect of a sequel. Assuming they have a plot more along the lines of 'Judgement Night', then a sequel has the potential to be a vast improvement I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Awful. And I rarely say that about any movie, bit it was. Cliché can be fine if it's done well but this wasn't.

Why do actors with a bit of clout like Hawke and Headey attach themselves to garbage like this? I'll never understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Kirby wrote: »
    Awful. And I rarely say that about any movie, bit it was. Cliché can be fine if it's done well but this wasn't.

Why do actors with a bit of clout like Hawke and Headey attach themselves to garbage like this? I'll never understand it.

Because it was work and the money was right? Why else?

De Niro hasn't spent the last two decades sitting out waiting for good scripts. He's kept working and earning and phoning in roles in poor movies. If he does it, I don't see why Hawke, Headey or anyone else should be different. Hawke made Before Midnight so, you know, he is doing good projects from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Kirby wrote: »

Money of course. Hawke has a young family to provide for, he also does a load of unpaid theatre and writing work which he seems to be passionate about. Doing the odd film like this helps him provide for his family while allowing him to do his passion projects. Hell even someone as big as Clooney readily admits he does coffee commercials to pay the bills while he works for scale on movies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Squandered opportunity for a potentially uber-violent deathfest.
    Really wanted to see those annoying kids get killed, was kind of disappointed they survived .
    Think the main baddie would make a good Patrick Bateman when ever they inevitably decide to do an American Psycho remake/re-imagining.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Because it was work and the money was right? Why else?

But the budget was only $3m ,so Hawke wouldnt have been paid that much for it.

But the budget was only $3m ,so Hawke wouldnt have been paid that much for it.

Unless Hawke had a big, dirty wedge of the producer's gross profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Unless Hawke had a big, dirty wedge of the producer's gross profits.

True ,but he isnt listed as a producer according to IMDB but you are probably right ,he must have received some % .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

What an absolute joke of a film. Utterly absurd from start to finish.

I could list at least 50 plot holes in this dire excuse of a movie, but suffice it to say I won't be going anywhere near the sequel.

**minor spoilers below for anyone unfortunate enough to want to see this turd**

I also don't get the great premise people are talking about. The premise doesn't make an ounce of sense! Somehow the crime levels in the future US have gone so low, the leader of future America (See Idiocracy) now gives his or her citizens a free 12 hour pass to rape, molest, abuse, rob, kill, burn, torture whomever or whatever they like. So instead of robbing and murdering the rich, white folk and actually profiting from their sudden psychopathic need to kill and stuff, citizens prefer to off the poorer members of society instead just for racist shits and giggles. How businesses manage to get insured in this great new country is a mystery... There must be a looting clause somewhere perhaps.

Also, don't go into labour, have a heart attack, stroke or get really sick, because all the emergency services and hospitals are suspended for 12 hours. Great time for a terrorist attack don't you think? Although nuking such a dumb country probably wouldn't be so important to terrorists any more, seeing as it's people are such brainwashed morons, they have essentially become dribbling amoral savages.

Suddenly, at 7am the next day (be careful you're not in the middle of decapitating or raping at the time, leaving the job half finished, risking getting arrested at 7.01), you become a fine upstanding member of society again. Don't worry that your jealous neighbours just tried to massacre your family, at 7am it's back to daily pleasantries and dinner parties.

I won't even begin to describe how mind numbingly, astoundingly stupid the main family and their foe were from start to finish. Almost as mind numbingly stupid as this script. I feel dumber having watched it.

A generous 1 out of 10. Ethan Hawke, I am so disappointed in you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I really think this is the worst film i have ever seen... its just terrible. I really wanted to bash the crap out of the son. what a complete dope! and then the wife goes bananas at Ethan Hawke for what? trying to protect the family? i would have tied up that homeless blocks and thrown him out the upstairs window. its doesn't matter that there's spoilers in here. i am hoping nobody wastes an hour and a half of their life with this rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Money of course. Hawke has a young family to provide for, he also does a load of unpaid theatre and writing work which he seems to be passionate about. Doing the odd film like this helps him provide for his family while allowing him to do his passion projects. Hell even someone as big as Clooney readily admits he does coffee commercials to pay the bills while he works for scale on movies.

I dunno if i buy this. Clooney is reportedly worth 180 million, Hawke about 45 million. These guys never need work another day in their lives. And if they do these **** movies like the Purge to keep them in some kind of lavish lifestyle then its greed not so they can work on so called passion projects.

Heckler wrote: »
    I dunno if i buy this. Clooney is reportedly worth 180 million, Hawke about 45 million. These guys never need work another day in their lives. And if they do these **** movies like the Purge to keep them in some kind of lavish lifestyle then its greed not so they can work on so called passion projects.

Clooney may be worth 180 million but it's his high profile and success that makes his name so profitable. If Clooney starred in a slate of huge flops then the passion projects he loves wouldn't get off the ground based on his presence. Also remember that the huge salaries of many if the A listers is a fraction of what it once was. The studios and stars still keep up the whole charade of paying actors $20+ million but the reality is quite different. For all you know Clooney may be giving millions away. Keanu Reeves is well known for his generosity, he may get paid $20 million for a role but he contributes a huge amount to charity and is known for his habit of giving money to those cast and crew members on a fixed income. He often buys lavish gifts for the FX guys or the make up people and lives a rather modest life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

How his poor family can survive on $75,000,000 a year I'll never know. Do you realise the average American would take 1,906 years to earn that much? Hands down the most ridiculous statement I've ever read on here. Trying to make out that he's in any way coerced or needs to do any of the movies he does is complete and utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

This film was ****.

Goldstein wrote: »
    How his poor family can survive on $75,000,000 a year I'll never know. Do you realise the average American would take 1,906 years to earn that much? Hands down the most ridiculous statement I've ever read on here. Trying to make out that he's in any way coerced or needs to do any of the movies he does is complete and utter nonsense.

Agreed. well said.

Clooney may be worth 180 million but it's his high profile and success that makes his name so profitable. If Clooney starred in a slate of huge flops then the passion projects he loves wouldn't get off the ground based on his presence. Also remember that the huge salaries of many if the A listers is a fraction of what it once was. The studios and stars still keep up the whole charade of paying actors $20+ million but the reality is quite different. For all you know Clooney may be giving millions away. Keanu Reeves is well known for his generosity, he may get paid $20 million for a role but he contributes a huge amount to charity and is known for his habit of giving money to those cast and crew members on a fixed income. He often buys lavish gifts for the FX guys or the make up people and lives a rather modest life.

I know reeves is know for his generosity and living out of a suitcase but to think A list actors are doing **** gigs for money to provide for their families and produce passion projects is a fallacy.

If Clooney didn't give a **** about his so called star potential he'd make a movie that wouldn't pander to his image. i like Clooney in most things but in fairness he hardly stretches himself. He does take on a variety of roles but you are never going to see him as the bad guy..

Ah now...this looks more like what I thought the original would be. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joshua_cox

Honestly i had high hopes for this film, it was a new idea or one that i was not familiar with a few obvious flaws,eg how could crime be so low when there are so many ways to break the law, none the less i was excited. The main thing the got to me about this film wasn't the AWFUL acting but it was boring i tried getting into it but i was stopped by all the obvious plot holes confusing questions.The bad thing is i think they tried in this movie but the exaggeration was more silly, pointless and strange rather than what i presume they were going for with frightening,haunting and elegant.To sum up a real let down.

Advertisement