Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Purge

Options
  • 25-05-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

I though there might have been a thread on this one already.

The film will be released on June 7th, directed by James DeMonaco and Michael Bay as a producer.
    In the year 2022, the United States is prospering with an unemployment rate at 1% and crime at an all-time low. To keep this prosperity the government creates an annual 12-hour period from the evening of March 21 to the morning of March 22 in which all criminal activity, including murder, becomes legal. During this time, police and hospitals suspend all assistance services and execute citizens who refuse to participate by hanging. This event, known as The Purge, is designed to serve as a catharsis for the American people, giving them a chance to vent all negative emotions however they desire, with the ultimate goal of keeping unemployment and crime at extremely low levels for the rest of the year. During this night of violence and crime, a stranger screaming for help is let into James Sandin's fortified house during their yearly lock down. The family is then forced into conflict between their beliefs of right and wrong, and a sequence of events involving the stranger's pursuers puts the family's chances of survival in danger.

I really like the premise of this film but I have a feeling it could be awful also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AzN

I'm looking forward to this one, was going to go see it on the 31st but it got moved on a week. The film seems really interesting sort of reminds me of "The Strangers" definitely going to see it upon it's release in cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Errr.Straw Dogs meets Assault on Precinct 13 meets Panic Room meets every other overloud crappy movie Michael Bay has been involved in, probably still go and see it though. ( but only at the cheap Point Odeon wednesday afternoon show for a fiver)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Interesting premise alright, but as was said looks all bit familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

First thing i thought was Warriors and Battle Royale

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Decent idea but have a feeling anything with Ethan Hawke in it, will stink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

TheDoc wrote: »
    Decent idea but have a feeling anything with Ethan Hawke in it, will stink

What's wrong with Ethan Hawke? solid actor imo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

krudler wrote: »
    What's wrong with Ethan Hawke? solid actor imo

Been in some rotten films the last few times I've seen him, nothing of any sort of promise that he showed years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I think this looks good, solid idea anyway. As above though not too sure about Ethan Hawke.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Neat premise + Ethan Hawke so defo good reason to see for me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Great premise masking the fact that it's just a run-of-the-mill home invasion thriller.

This looks like a disappointment, which probably won't be scary and subsequently will forget it's own great premise by the 40 minute mark.

Another one bites the dust.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's an absurd, unbelievable premise used to justify what looks like a pretty bog standard home invasion flick.

Say what you will about the setup of Battle Royale, but at least if follows through on its crazy concept!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Premise sounds cool. Ethan Hawke is a decent actor.

I don't think that this will turn into a bog standard home invasion flick that forgets it's own premise after the opening 20-30 minutes. If that was the case, the only thing the writers have achieved by the premise is nullifying the typical shouts of "call the f'in police" from the audience that usually happens during that type of movie. It would be a huge waste to not do more with the premise and I doubt (hope) the writers & director would take such a lazy approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I like the idea, sounds like good escapist entertainment. As long as it doesn't have the usual predictably downbeat ending these home invasion movies have it could be fun.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

For a premise like that to work, you have to deliver a sense of scale (think Escape From New York). Otherwise it'll just be another lazy home-invasion load of nonsense.

I'm still disappointed that even The Strangers, which had some wonderful ideas about how to escalate tension, ended up being resolutely mediocre. Thus far, The Purge doesn't look like it'll even aspire to those heights.

In saying that, I saw a trailer for No One Lives the other day at the MCM Expo, which did renew my confidence in there at least being some people who want to mix things up as far as horror films are concerned...

Fysh wrote: »
    In saying that, I saw a trailer for No One Lives the other day at the MCM Expo, which did renew my confidence in there at least being some people who want to mix things up as far as horror films are concerned...

Don't let your expectations get too far away from you. No One Lives is at times a lot of fun and it does a lot right but overall it's extremely disappointing and not at all worth going out of your way to see. I did see it after staying up for over 24 hours and that may have something to do with my dislike of the film but considering how poorly received it has been I think it may simply be a case of it being a bad film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

It's an absurd, unbelievable premise ---
    ---!

+1,000,000

Its beyond stupid, :mad: :confused: :pac:

Also DO NOT WATCH the trailer it gives away the whole movie. :confused:

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Really disappointed.

It had such potential. Waste of money & time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Great premise with a good start, a few flashes of brilliance, a largely generic main section and a solid ending.
    Meh.
    Wasted opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Terrible movie. The premise I was opened minded towards but the bored, predictable and painfully cliche execution is unforgivable however. A real and unfortunate stinker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭larchielads

great concept as a film but fcuk me what a ****e ending, was the funniest thing ever for a thriller movie

Anyone curious as to how the concept would play out on a larger scale, you know a film that actually embraces the concept rather doing simply remaking Assault on Precinct 13 should check out he 90s genre classic Judgement Night.

Anyone curious as to how the concept would play out on a larger scale, you know a film that actually embraces the concept rather doing simply remaking Assault on Precinct 13 should check out he 90s genre classic Judgement Night.

Yeah, I was pretty much hoping for a dystopian version of this, or at least this is the film that came to mind when I first heard the concept.

Having seen the Purge, the concept is so ridiculous, they should have just played it for laughs (Evil Dead 2) and had zombies/monsters that expire after 12 hours. May as well embrace the ridiculous premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The Purge was shocking. Just glad I went in the off peak and got in cheap. So clichéd it could almost be a parody. Woeful in every way, no redeeming features. The characters were so badly written you really couldnt give a shít if every last one of them died, and I didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

I wanted to slap everyone in that Film but mostly I want to slap the director for making such garbage. I might even slap myself for watching the whole film. I think I only sat through it because Adelaide Kane was dressed as a school girl for the entire film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Just Breathe

I thought it was rubbish! Really good concept but never went anywhere, 3/10 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow...great premise, such a good story to work with and they turn it into an extremely below par home invasion film. Hawke should have made the most of the new law to 'purge' the son and daughter!

They really should have made it that their home security system went faulty and shut down leaving them to have to escape the house and be on the run waiting for 7am to come around.

Never even thought how that sounds a lot like Judgement Night which is one of my favourite films, absolutely brilliant.

At some point in the film, everyone involved should have realised this was a piece of sh*t. Everything about it (except the premise) was poo.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Wow...great premise, such a good story to work with and they turn it into an extremely below par home invasion film. Hawke should have made the most of the new law to 'purge' the son and daughter!

They really should have made it that their home security system went faulty and shut down leaving them to have to escape the house and be on the run waiting for 7am to come around.

Never even thought how that sounds a lot like Judgement Night which is one of my favourite films, absolutely brilliant.

At some point in the film, everyone involved should have realised this was a piece of sh*t. Everything about it (except the premise) was poo.

This was the most glaringly obvious and inevitable story line that should have taken place given the premise. One location = lower budget. What's the point?

There was interesting ideas and themes in the piece. One can only hope the original script was a cracker and then they ended up making a mickey tit of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

This was such a let down. A very interesting and fresh premise that went out the window after ten minutes and turned out to be a completely average home invasion/slasher movie. I mean the whole idea of 'the purge' was thrown to the side which is what made this film look interesting in the first place.

The son really annoyed me also, everything was his fault and even when he realized that he continued to make things worse for the family. There was no character development and no real story either. Also the neighbours reason for turning on the family at the end was pathetic.

Really disappointed with this one, a great premise that they left behind as soon as the opening credits faded.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, The Purge 2 is already in development :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

One of the worst films I've ever seen.

Advertisement