Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mr. Loverman's "Cars of Beijing" thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Didn't know that China actually clones other manufacturers cars. Then I thought, sure they copy everything else, why not cars??!!

Then I came across this Youtube video. I guess there no such thing as copyright in China

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

In China they are not only cloning foreign brands they even clone themselves. One Chinese company clones iPhone and sells for $100 the next on clones the the first one and sells for $40. :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

flanzer wrote: »
    Didn't know that China actually clones other manufacturers cars. Then I thought, sure they copy everything else, why not cars??!!

Then I came across this Youtube video. I guess there no such thing as copyright in China

mqKtS_QmmsM

They seem to be pretty good at cloning ugly cars, but are way off the mark with the nice ones (merc clone aside).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

no, its a totally different kind of world there, cars are also a status symbol, So I have a car, I am better than those without one is the attitude, for example I seen a guy mount the footpath and blear his horn so all the people would get out of his way just because he got bored waiting in traffic, Its a free for all with no lane discipline and 6 lane roads were cars weave i and out at speed, no need for seat-belts in China, if you ever get a Taxi you will notice they are cut out. Lots of people bride the driving examiner to get a license and far too many people are squashed every day in Beijing because no one pays attention.

Fair points. I was never in China but I would have fore-guessed many scenarios similar to how you describe.

I was more specifically drawing similarities between no one using mirrors, indicators and driving at night with no lights on though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I was more specifically drawing similarities between no one using mirrors, indicators and driving at night with no lights on though...

Irish drivers are brilliant compared to Chinese drivers. For example, quite a lot of Chinese drivers don't even stop at red lights. I still haven't figured out if this is because they don't understand the concept of a red light or because they don't care.

Chinese culture (in particular the one child policy) has caused a generation of people to be utterly selfish so they don't care about you unless you are in their family or a friend with benefits. So why should they bother stopping at a red light? It isn't in their interest to do so.

Also the Chinese education system is dire (memorize, don't understand) so there is a few generations of people who have learned everything by rote but don't understand anything.

It's a really weird but fascinating culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

It's a really weird but fascinating culture.

Oppressive is the first word I might have chosen but no doubt there are weird and fascinating aspects to their culture. Still, more backward than I would have imagined. I would have imagined there would have being more law and order on their roads for example if they are as you describe.

There was an element of sarcasm intended in my original post but seemingly I must not have executed it so well. I have no doubt our driving standards are much better overall here. Its just when you see people (typically toyota drivers for some reason) driving with no lights on and its well dark. Or people not using or worse still using indicators incorrectly at roundabouts. As I say there was an element of sarcasm in there on my part too.

Some weird and wonderful cars being posted. Keep them coming Mr. Loverman

Advertisement