Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mr. Loverman's "Cars of Beijing" thread

Options
  • 25-05-2013 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭

I live in Beijing where around 70% of people earn roughly EUR 400 per month, around 29% earn roughly EUR 1,200 per month, and the remaining 1% have an unbelievably large amount of money, so every day I get to see some nice cars on the road. I'll start posting pictures of them in this thread.

In case you're wondering, I was travelling around the world but stopped in Beijing around two years ago. I work in an English speaking office doing IT stuff. I have basic Chinese.

The below picture was taken outside one of the many "member's clubs" in Beijing. These are private clubs for very rich people. The government clamped down on government spending recently - no more lavish parties! But what they really meant was "no more public lavish parties" so the private member's club are booming. In these clubs you can have drinks, dinner and bang prostitutes.

JU3aJa9l.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

This Maserati looked as bland in real life. The owner had paid some Chinese guy to sit next to it minding it. He didn't realise I can sort of understand Chinese so he was telling his friend I am really white.

VTQACVyl.jpg

In Ireland everyone starts driving a crappy car and upgrades as they get older. For example, if you see a large black Mercedes you can be pretty sure it's a middle aged (or older) guy driving it. China doesn't work this way. The new rich immediately start with expensive powerful cars. The driving exam is a joke here so the roads are lethal. It's quite normal to see people driving with their lights off at night. No one uses indicators. Nearly no one uses their mirrors.

Uad7t2tl.jpg

This is how I travel around Beijing. I plan on doing the driving test this year (for a laugh) but I don't think I'll ever risk driving here.

h39jNtvl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

In these clubs you can have drinks, dinner and bang prostitutes.

FatherTedCarefulNow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I worked in China in 1994 - 96. Even back then there were super wealthy people, I saw super-cars like Lambo Diablo's, Ferrari 348's and an awful lot of Rolls Royce's on a weekly basis. Also saw a few nice american cars like Mustangs and Corvettes, no Aston Martins, Maserati's or Porsche's though. No BMW's but the place was packed with Chinese knockoff's of the Audi 100.

The last time I was in Beijing was in 2003 or 2004 and I could not believe the amount of cars on the road, and not one of them knows how to drive. One one of the ring roads had a crash where 14 people were killed and people just went, "oh well, too many cars", the road was reopened after 20 minutes or something..... (think they are up to 6 ring road motorways now). If one lane looks like it is moving 1cm/hour faster than the others then half the people in the other lanes barge into it.

Ahh... the good ol' days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

This is how I travel around Beijing. I plan on doing the driving test this year (for a laugh) but I don't think I'll ever risk driving here.

h39jNtvl.jpg

That's the Lamborghini Aventnodoor!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Any pic's of the aforementioned prostitutes??

If you want you can give details on ride quality, airbags or better still if you have a "dashcam" post it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

The driving exam is a joke here so the roads are lethal. It's quite normal to see people driving with their lights off at night. No one uses indicators. Nearly no one uses their mirrors.
    This is how I travel around Beijing.
    h39jNtvl.jpg

Doesn't look the safest!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

A no brake fixie!

Beside my apartment tonight:

T8knQGpl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It is a strange mix of cars on the roads in China..
    The Jetta Taxis made me smile as I had a jetta back in the days..

jettat.jpg

Couple of interesting cars on the way home tonight...

Trippy Ferrari:

pGsaCejl.jpg

FxQXH1gl.jpg

Trippy Maserati:

xbXAHE5l.jpg

0Igvd5Wl.jpg

And something a bit more normal...

NmEkjAul.jpg

I7zc7u7l.jpg

By the way I see about 50 Porsches every day so I amn't bothering to take pictures of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

By the way I see about 50 Porsches every day so I amn't bothering to take pictures of them...

Could you get snaps of some of the Chinese shyte we don't get?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Could you get snaps of some of the Chinese shyte we don't get? will be getting soon

Tá sé fixed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Could you get snaps of some of the Chinese shyte we don't get?

Exactlly! Lambos and other metal posted can be seen here too. Better post some chinese brands.

Tá sé fixed ;)

Not for a while yet though. They've all rowed back on their EU launches.

No worries! I'll post some snaps of Chinese cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

• Advertisement

Beside my apartment tonight. This one had a real GTA feel to it:

DxGso20l.jpg

gSXHvPsl.jpg

I know it's just a Porsche, but it looked awsome. Notice the fantastic parking. That's normal in China.

xWbbkxil.jpg

And something Chinese:

d7KL7bBl.jpg

That last thing looks like a motorised pram

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just needs a maclaren badge :p.

Hal1 wrote: »
    Just needs a maclaren badge :p.

A Maclaren pram would probably cost twice that and better built :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

bbam wrote: »
    It is a strange mix of cars on the roads in China..
    The Jetta Taxis made me smile as I had a jetta back in the days..

jettat.jpg

Jaysus and I thought Irish tailgating was bad! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭cena

wrong place

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

pa990 wrote: »

It's a pity most of them are made of butter as some of them look pretty good vs the real thing.

It's like that knock-off of the F10 5 series that was posted here a while back. Who wouldn't like a car like that at half the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    It's a pity most of them are made of butter as some of them look pretty good vs the real thing.

It's like that knock-off of the F10 5 series that was posted here a while back. Who wouldn't like a car like that at half the price?

Tgat Huo Yun at 01:30 and the Matiz later. I know where there's 2 of each if those. Pure sh!te

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

The driving exam is a joke here so the roads are lethal. It's quite normal to see people driving with their lights off at night. No one uses indicators. Nearly no one uses their mirrors.

That is very much in line with how I would describe our driving standards here in Ireland if talking to a chap in a foreign country:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

That is very much in line with how I would describe our driving standards here in Ireland if talking to a chap in a foreign country:)

no, its a totally different kind of world there, cars are also a status symbol, So I have a car, I am better than those without one is the attitude, for example I seen a guy mount the footpath and blear his horn so all the people would get out of his way just because he got bored waiting in traffic, Its a free for all with no lane discipline and 6 lane roads were cars weave i and out at speed, no need for seat-belts in China, if you ever get a Taxi you will notice they are cut out. Lots of people bride the driving examiner to get a license and far too many people are squashed every day in Beijing because no one pays attention.

I love the audi, BMW, fake BMW 'Zhong' brand Black cars that get police lights and siren installed so they can get cars to move out of their way.

Advertisement