Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Abstract Topics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

STD's? STD's? I don't think so. It's a bit too much for the L.C.

Same goes for other controversial topics like abortion, gay marriage, religion, etc. They're just too touchy, they'll never put them on the L.C.

Haha I really can't see STD's or abortion coming up anyways, but religion is possible. It came up a few years ago as a 30 mark, something like "religion isn't important to the youth nowadays" ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I was briefly chatting to my French teacher today, she mentioned irishness and national pride as a topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Kingkumar

decisions wrote: »
    I was briefly chatting to my French teacher today, she mentioned irishness and national pride as a topic.

do you have any notes on that that you could put up? :)
    also does any1 reckon that something about war might come up? with all the stuff in syria etc going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

I have an A1 sample essay on STD's if any wants I can post it up here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maidhfinden

yes please :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Is this for real? :L Hahahahaha loling, I find this hilarious :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

I really couldn't STD's coming up. They would have to know that most classes wouldnt cover it and wont have the vocab.

is there not a list of subjects you have to cover, or can anything come up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TheChosenOne

Really? we have gone very into depth with it, the teacher reckons it is very likely to come up! la gonorrhée, les crabes, SIDA, les effets sexuels, les préservatifs etc.

LOL :D The thought of talking about condoms, morning pills, sexual effects, etc. in FRENCH in the L.C. is pretty hilarious :D Like I know they have a right to put in anything they want, but I wouldn't waste my time learning that, I think there are more probable topics.

Just to clarify, that was obviously a joke lol :)

Ahahahahaha. That's a joke of the week anyway :D
    I was LOLling to myself and trying not to make fun of you and your teacher in my posts XD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

I actually feel pretty disappointed, I was getting hyped up for some new vocab and phrases :(

Haha I drew inspiration from misreading another users post saying SDF as STD!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Frenchteacher

here you go guys, some vocab etc...
    it's great to see students who want to do well.
    Bonne chance!
    http://mfl.jimdo.com/resources/french-a2-level/

click also on A level.

also:
    http://quizlet.com/20778464/french-a-level-en-famille-flash-cards/

http://quizlet.com/chloe_gerrard

I am writing some revision notes to be available next year online (for free!) and I would like to know what sort of things do you prefer in terms of revision notes for the vocabulary. It would help if you could let me know what you prefer (I know what my students like but it's good to have more opinions). All the notes will be topic based (racism, environment etc...)

a) list of vocabulary (alphabetical order)
    b) list of vocabulary (grouped by verbs, adjectives, nouns)
    c) sentences using the vocabulary
    d) a mix of a) and c)
    e) a mix of b) and c)

also, do you like to have sample answers for past papers? Do you really read them? how do they help you?

anything that you wished you had had during the year in terms of revision notes and vocabulary?

Thanks

I am writing some revision notes to be available next year online (for free!) and I would like to know what sort of things do you prefer in terms of revision notes for the vocabulary. It would help if you could let me know what you prefer (I know what my students like but it's good to have more opinions). All the notes will be topic based (racism, environment etc...)

a) list of vocabulary (alphabetical order)
    b) list of vocabulary (grouped by verbs, adjectives, nouns)
    c) sentences using the vocabulary
    d) a mix of a) and c)
    e) a mix of b) and c)

also, do you like to have sample answers for past papers? Do you really read them? how do they help you?

anything that you wished you had had during the year in terms of revision notes and vocabulary?

Thanks

OK so.

The vocab is good, especially for comprehensions. But in terms of writing, I prefer sentences. Like if you learn a full sentence on a topic, you have the advantages of
    (a) Learning the new vocab in the sentence, and
    (b) You will actually be able to use the same sentence in your written production, knowing it's grammatically correct. And there's nothing worse than sitting in your exam and being unsure if your stuff makes grammatical sense.

Also, sample answers are good, especially if they're of a high standard. You can pick up phrases from them and know how they're used in context. Personally, I prefer really challenging answers, like the ones they used to publish in Francais Plus magazine, the ones you know would get you full marks. Sample answers also show the right approach to tackling a question - i.e. introduction, points you can make about the topic, connector words, conclusion.

In response to your point (a), please DON'T list the vocabularly in alphabetical order. I'm studying Latin, and we're learning the vocab from the booklet, and for each letter there's like 3 pages. It's an absolute TOIL to learn them, because they begin with the same letters and you mix them up so easily.

In addition, for the written part of the exam, I would have liked to work on a written topic every week and do a class test at the end, which would actually force people to learn the stuff. Then the L.C. wouldn't be as stressful xD

Hope this helps.

Could you please P.M. me some good phrases on le dopage and maybe the importance of school / education? Thanks.

that's what I thought. Thanks a lot, I'll pm you some sentences on "le dopage" soon.

meanwhile, here is a "document authentique":

http://www.inpes.sante.fr/CFESBases/catalogue/pdf/1131.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭doogybag

decisions wrote: »
    I've covered:
    Drugs
    SDF's
    LC Stress
    Importance of Sport
    Obesity
    Racism
    The Internet and Technology
    and I'm going to cover Doping (anyone got notes on this?) and the Environment.

What else are people doing?

hi, would you have an essay on cyber bullying/ internet and technology please ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Leaving Cert Problems

Think something could come up on education system as the reforms in the junior cert was topical around the time they set the paper.
    My teacher is tipping dopage and homelessness as well.

Also, how much are people writing for their topic? It recommended 75 words but are the examiners really strict about if you go over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

Its a minumum of 75, it's ok to go over but it means that there are more chances of making mistakes. Mine are usually 90/100 words.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. My teacher was saying the same thing. Just looking for reassurance.
    Also has anyone got anything on the education system/LC stress/importance of education as my teacher went on maternity leave just after she said she'd do something out on us for on it and I never thought to ask the other teacher we had.

Hey cousin LCP, it's me LCS!

does anyone have a sample answer on le dopage please i am freaking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

So far i've wrote sample answers out for
    Sport -> Le Dopage,L'arbitrage dans le sport,Le sport a l'ecole,Les bienfaits du sport.
    Technology -> Les portables,Le Cyber intimidation, L'ecole a l'avenir
    School -> a quoi sert l'education, Les arts, discipline,
    Vacations -> Les irlandais en vacances, Les vacances a l'epoque,les bienfaits
    Society/Europe -> La societe de consommation, L'UE,L'immigration et travail en Irland, La pollution.
    Teenagers ->Les actes de violence, l'alcool et les jeunes.

Still need to do racism in sport (since what happened last year in soccer), La sante,drug abuse,The changing role of women in society and stress of LC and the points system.I dont know what other topic's to cover :/

If anyone wants to trade answers pm me :)

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    So far i've wrote sample answers out for
    Sport -> Le Dopage,L'arbitrage dans le sport,Le sport a l'ecole,Les bienfaits du sport.
    Technology -> Les portables,Le Cyber intimidation, L'ecole a l'avenir
    School -> a quoi sert l'education, Les arts, discipline,
    Vacations -> Les irlandais en vacances, Les vacances a l'epoque,les bienfaits
    Society/Europe -> La societe de consommation, L'UE,L'immigration et travail en Irland, La pollution.
    Teenagers ->Les actes de violence, l'alcool et les jeunes.

Still need to do racism in sport (since what happened last year in soccer), La sante,drug abuse,The changing role of women in society and stress of LC and the points system.I dont know what other topic's to cover :/

If anyone wants to trade answers pm me :)

do you wanna give me ur sample answers plz ? :)

lool me too?

I have l'alcool, le tabac, les drouges, l'environnement, obesitey et la changing role of men and women.
    In exchange for racism, homelessness, education system/LC stress, old people, technology and Ireland.

I have l'alcool, le tabac, les drouges, l'environnement, obesitey et la changing role of men and women.
    In exchange for racism, homelessness, education system/LC stress, old people, technology and Ireland.

la changing role of men and women ... sounds like A1 standard anyway haha!

do you have technology ?

doogybag wrote: »
    do you have technology ?

No I don't sorry, thats one I'm looking for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Hi guys i really need an essay on homelessness if anyone is willing to swap for one of my essays please , just ask what you want and i'll see if i have an essay done on that .

Advertisement