Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Abstract Topics

Options
  • 21-05-2013 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭

I've covered:
    Drugs
    SDF's
    LC Stress
    Importance of Sport
    Obesity
    Racism
    The Internet and Technology
    and I'm going to cover Doping (anyone got notes on this?) and the Environment.

What else are people doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TheChosenOne

Do cyber bullying as part of the Internet. Also, how are you studying for them? Learning off essays or just vocab and some phrases?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

I really wouldn't recommend learning off essays. If its not relevant you'll lose marks so quickly! Our teacher told us the written pieces are marked based on content and language, but that if you're content is poor (say 10/20 for q.1) that even if you don't make a single grammatical error you can still only get 10/20 for your language.

It's like PCLM for English, if you don't fulfill the purpose your language mark can't be any higher.

I dunno if it's any use to you but it made such a difference in my essays when I was told this

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lollipops13

does anyone have sample essays on any abstract topics theyd like to post!? Im really panicking now so guys please help with French! Thanks

we only did like 2 and my teacher didn't even correct them so I don't know how to do them or what vocab to use :/ .. doping, role of women, stress .. anything !!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

We've pages of notes on nearly every topic you could think of! I think I'm going to focus on dopage, food obesity and things along those lines!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Nothing :( our teacher went on maternity leave but had been missing for 2 months in 5th year and 1 month before leaving officially without a sub. They couldn't get a replacement when she left until 3 months later we got a new teacher who is actually not even a teacher and has no clue about the course. The only opinion piece I've ever written was in the mocks. So yay for me I have absolutely nothing done. I got an A in the mocks but will probably go down now :( I'll have to find some notes before the exam, I'll probably do obesity, environment, drugs, alcohol, smoking, equality maybe. Not sure to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

I'm going to focus on Drugs and Sport,Health,Danger of Technology,Obesity,Changing roles in society,Volunteering ,Immigration,The environment,Alcoholism. Hopefully that will have me covered, if not well not much I can do. I was looking at the examiners report for French in 2006 in my opinion standard of answer for the responsive questions to get near the top percentile is seriously high like as in college standard French (wouldn't expect it to be easy to get near the top but jeasus) it kind of scared me xD

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I don't have many topics learned off really, but I've sentences that I can use in every topic. Topics that I'd be able to write a good enough answer on include environment, racism, bullying, internet, obesity, and maybe a few others. I'm hoping to cover vocabulary for drugs in sport, alcoholism, and maybe a bit on society in general..

if any of you feel like helping a fellow 6th year out please let me know (: ! Id be eternally grateful. Especially the really mental ones like sport drugs(dopage) or changing roles in society! Thanks

if any of you feel like helping a fellow 6th year out please let me know (: ! Id be eternally grateful. Especially the really mental ones like sport drugs(dopage) or changing roles in society! Thanks

I'm typing out a few pages of notes onto my laptop on dopage now, will send them onto you later this evening :)

• Advertisement

Anyone have any useful phrases that could be used in different topics?

I've got notes on loads of topics, mainly words and sentences related to the topic that can be worked into the answer. Not sure if they would be any use to people but if anyone is stuck for topics I'm willing to type things up! :)

Tommyrawr I am seriously sooo grateful to you. I really really appreciate it. You're the best :)

Jade, yes please anything at all if it isn't too much trouble. I know your probably incredibly busy but anything at all is extremely appreciated. Thanks a million guys.
    I can't type how happy and thankful I am.

Jade, yes please anything at all if it isn't too much trouble. I know your probably incredibly busy but anything at all is extremely appreciated. Thanks a million guys.
    I can't type how happy and thankful I am.

Is there anything in particular you are looking for?

literally anything at all. I have seen things about roles of women/changing roles in society or something but only on boards!
    Anything at all would be fantastic and please only do what you have time and want to do because I don't want to annoy you!

Is there anything that could be adapted to everything\?

I will send stuff as soon as I can so! Eh well you could use phrases like in my opinion, I've come to the conclusion that or all things considered etc. in most written questions if that's what you mean?

thank you so so much. anything on dopage or roles in society or really anything at all. my teacher was genuinely terrible. I'm only realising now actually how bad when I look at the topics in papers!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

You don't have to have 273892326 fancy phrases guys dont worry. :) Just think about it in English and write it. Look at 2012's exam - we got nothing negative to talk about, which actually caught people out from what I heard. It's all about opinion, though of course opinion pieces do need to be somewhat fancy, but more important is accuracy of language.

I know I've posted this before somewhere but I guess it got buried. Hope it'll help you all. :) I'm also attaching some notes I found that I'd made on the third world and the environment - I don't seem to have many on the others though, sorry! If I root up any more notes I'll give you them.

ahhh thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! brilliant how its translated and everything thanks

Doping and cyber bullying! I forgot to write back! sorry and thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Keith96

I have a few I think are likely to come up-
    1)Doping
    2)Drugs
    3)Bullying
    4)Racism
    And I have notes on Mobile phones,Languages,homeless(le SDF)
    Also have a feeling something to do with the gathering could come up,I also have bits on alcohol and sport :)
    Bonne chance à tous!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Keith96 wrote: »
    I have a few I think are likely to come up-
    1)Doping
    2)Drugs
    3)Bullying
    4)Racism
    And I have notes on Mobile phones,Languages,homeless(le SDF)
    Also have a feeling something to do with the gathering could come up,I also have bits on alcohol and sport :)
    Bonne chance à tous!!!!! :D

the gathering??

can anyone please post a piece on doping or bullying? please

or even message me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

I am doing:
    Environment
    Doping
    STD's
    Cyber bullying

Guys i think theres a good chance we might get hit with something school/education based for, Q2-Q4 It came up in 99,05 and hasnt came up since.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    Guys i think theres a good chance we might get hit with something school/education based for, Q2-Q4 It came up in 99,05 and hasnt came up since.

That's what I was thinking as well. Maybe something about the importance of education/stresses of school.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TheChosenOne

I am doing:
    Environment
    Doping
    STD's
    Cyber bullying

STD's? STD's? I don't think so. It's a bit too much for the L.C.

Same goes for other controversial topics like abortion, gay marriage, religion, etc. They're just too touchy, they'll never put them on the L.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

STD's? STD's? I don't think so. It's a bit too much for the L.C.

Same goes for other controversial topics like abortion, gay marriage, religion, etc. They're just too touchy, they'll never put them on the L.C.

Really? we have gone very into depth with it, the teacher reckons it is very likely to come up! la gonorrhée, les crabes, SIDA, les effets sexuels, les préservatifs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Really? we have gone very into depth with it, the teacher reckons it is very likely to come up! la gonorrhée, les crabes, SIDA, les effets sexuels, les préservatifs etc.

The thoughts of talking about STDs with my French teacher is so delightfully awkward it's just brightened my day :D

Advertisement