Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wrong way..again!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Would it be in the road planner's interest to put these on the back of all road signs?

Danger-Wrong-Way-Turn-Back-300x400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Where did you get that retarded notion from?!

Sorry, I misinterpreted your post, saying the action the OP highlighted as being highly dangerous as opposed to reversing on a hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Would it be in the road planner's interest to put these on the back of all road signs?

Don't they have these on motorway slip roads already?

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Don't they have these on motorway slip roads already?
    They do, but obviously the driver didn't see it, down to their own carelessness I know. Nonetheless, the reality is there are idiots out there so having these signs on the back of all signs might reach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Redshift wrote: »
    I passed a bint in a silver yarris or something like it on the wrong side of the dual carriageway outside oranmore yesterday evening. That's two lanes either direction seperated by a median. She was traveling south in the northbound overtaking lane. I drive about 2000kms a week and the incompetence and dangerous disregard I see every day is astonishing.

I've seen that twice in the past year on the exact same stretch of road, once at night time. Idiots....

Also met a lady going the wrong way around the roundabout at Roscam/The Galway clinic last summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Here's an example of what can happen,this woman was killed early this morning.
    A woman has died after driving her car the wrong way up a motorway in the early hours of this morning, police said.

The woman, aged in her late 20s or early 30s, died after her blue Ford Ka collided with four vehicles on the M5 in Somerset.

She hit two cars in separate collisions as she drove north up the southbound carriageway from Weston-super-Mare towards Clevedon at 12.30am, Avon and Somerset Police said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2330807/M5-crash-Woman-dies-motorway-crash-driving-wrong-way-colliding-cars.html#ixzz2UJBUHBaX

Anyone who does this should be put off the road for a minimum of 12 months,it ranks up there with drink driving imo. as the potential for fatalities is so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

And sadly, once again, this time in Co. Tipperary, yesterday:

"Man (82) in fatal crash drove on wrong side of the road"

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/man-82-in-fatal-crash-drove-on-wrong-side-of-the-road-29294908.html

Poor man. You can say what you want about people who do it been idiots, I agree with you. Take away their licence, I agree again. Doesn't change the fact that it happens over and over again. More indications that you are on the wrong side unfortunately needs to be displayed. Prevention of occurrences rather than prosecution of offenders should be focussed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Poor man. You can say what you want about people who do it been idiots, I agree with you. Take away their licence, I agree again. Doesn't change the fact that it happens over and over again. More indications that you are on the wrong side unfortunately needs to be displayed. Prevention of occurrences rather than prosecution of offenders should be focussed on.

No amount of signs, warnings, lights would have made a difference last week when my fella did a U-turn in the middle of the motorway. There are already signs on sliproads. The answer is teach people how to drive. The countries with proper training and testing don't have this problem.

That guy who died yesterday probably bought his license in the days before tests. He probably never done a test. Was never trained. What did we expect? Another one dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

MarkR wrote: »
    I met a guy at the same place several years back. Nearly pooped my pants.

There are plenty of bad drivers on the road but an error of this magnitude is still a relatively rare event. For it to happen twice in the same spot within a number years is suggestive of a problem with signage and/or junction layout somewhere in the vicinity. Or one seriously bad driver with a bad memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I only narrowly avoided a head on collision by sheer luck 2 weeks ago when I attempted to exit the Setanta carpark in Dublin city centre. I stopped a little short of the card machine at the exit barrier and had to re-position the car to reach it - those few seconds saved me, there was a woman driving down the spiral exit ramp into the car park - totally oblivious. It would have been a completely blind collision, its a tight spiral lane, you cant see more than a couple of feet in front of you the whole way up and you certainly dont expect to meet oncoming traffic.

A couple of years ago on the M50 just before the Firhouse exit I passed a stopped car in the driving lane where the driver was consulting large paper map oblivious to the fact that he was stopped on a motorway.

Ive also encountered people driving the wrong way down an exit ramp at Ballymount - more than once actually, although the first occasion may have been more excusable due to road works and changed layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Came out of Cork city once heading for Dublin so drove out past the Silver Springs and turned left at the Dunkettle roundabout only to narrowly avoid a collision with an idiot coming towards me, he obviously had taken the wrong exit so he did a U-turn and was driving back the wrong way to take a different exit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

djimi wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with the lack of motorway training to be fair; this person is simply criminally stupid and needs locking up for everyones safety.

It's more to do with the lack of training full stop. Though I agree, a fair amount of stupidity has to be involved.
    There's a lot of motorists 50+ and they belong to the "shure, be grand" generation. They never had training, never passed a test and have a god-given entitlement to be on the road.
    Also, that particular stretch of dual-carriageway has driveways from houses going out onto it.
    I'm sorry, but that's just Oirish.
    These people will think "If I turn left, I have to go all the way to Bunratty to turn, but I want to Cratloe, so let's just turn right, ah shure, be grand, there's two lanes, ah shure it's only for a little bit, ah be grand and if anyone says anything, I'm entitled to be on the road."
    I once saw a Gard have a massive row with an auld farmer on a black bicycle going the wrong way on the motorway. I don't have to be able to lip-read to know what he said:"I've been cycling this way for 40 years and no one can tell me otherwise and I'm entitled to be on the road!"
    The FIRST thing the Irish need to get out of their head is that they have some God-given entitlement to be on the road and do what they want.
    It has to be impressed to people that they can earn the privilege to be on the road as long as they fulfill certain criteria. And it's not permanent either, if you're not able to fulfill these criteria anymore, you're off the road.
    I think training and especially motorway training are badly needed in this country, because the government here seems to think "If we don't allow them on the motorway and give them zero training, they will be BRILLIANT drivers!" and then just ignore the entire world shouting at them.
    That is thick as pigsh*t. Yes, whoever came up with that is a thick, ignorant, backwards, grunting, sweating, pint-swilling, lazy, inbred, thick bastard.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They do, and they're putting motion-activated LED no-entry signs on some also (so they don't light up except when a car is detected going the wrong way). Won't stop an idiot u-turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The implications of going the wrong way and it isn't always some confused old biddy, this women was only 20-30 according to report

http://news.sky.com/story/1095510/woman-dies-after-driving-wrong-way-up-m5
    A woman who drove her car the wrong way along a motorway has died after her car collided with four vehicles, police said.

The victim, aged in her late 20s or early 30s, was driving a Ford Ka when the tragedy happened on the M5 in Somerset.

She drove the small blue car north up the southbound carriageway from Weston-super-Mare towards Clevedon at 12.30am, Avon and Somerset Police said.

"It was involved in separate collisions with two vehicles and was left stationary when it was hit by two more vehicles," a force spokesman said.

"Unfortunately the driver of the Ford Ka, a woman in her late twenties or early thirties, died at the scene."

The road was closed while the emergency services dealt with the incident and while police officers investigated the crash. It later re-opened.

The M5 is a key tourist route in the West Country.

EDIT :- Just spotted the previous posted newspaper articles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

gutteruu wrote: »

That guy who died yesterday probably bought his license in the days before tests. He probably never done a test. Was never trained. What did we expect? Another one dead.

More likely that he got his licence when motorways didnt exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Wy6K7tS.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

zerks wrote: »
    Anyone who does this should be put off the road for a minimum of 12 months,it ranks up there with drink driving imo. as the potential for fatalities is so high.

She's dead. Is that not punishment enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

testicle wrote: »

Wasn't commenting on her per se,just the fact in general that anyone who is thick enough to drive the wrong way on a motorway clearly isn't fit to be behind the wheel of a vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i'd rather she was alive and off the road tbh,

these deaths are preventable by not allowing people who drive like that on the roads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Honestly, I think if you're caught doing something like that you should have your driving license torn up pending a psychological / neurological / visual examination to prove you're actually competent to drive at all and complete driver retraining and re-testing.

It's just too dangerous to leave someone who has done something like that in charge of a vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

That'd be useful on tunnels, but you can't really do much when someone actually makes a full U-Turn on a dual carriageway.

The only thing I would say though is perhaps we should paint more arrows on the roads, especially on some of those old below-spec dual-carriageways that have entrances onto them.

Maybe just replace the yellow dashed line with yellow
    > shapes?

It might be a help for drivers generally on our roads as we have to deal with a lot of continental drivers who are used to driving on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

She's not the victim here so stop with the don't-speak-ill-of-the-dead bull**** peddling. The people she crashed into and might have killed are the victims here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/man-82-in-fatal-crash-drove-on-wrong-side-of-the-road-29294908.html

As a matter of interest, how would the guards go about intercepting someone driving on the wrong side of the road, do they too have to drive on the wrong side of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

hi5 wrote: »

As a matter of interest, how would the guards go about intercepting someone driving on the wrong side of the road, do they too have to drive on the wrong side of the road?

The first time I came across someone driving the wrong way, the gaurds blocked the road behind me with flashing lights and crawled along in the middle of the road to hold back all traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Saw this thread a few days ago and now, thanks to two old dears in a Peugot 208 trying to drive up the off ramp at Arklow this morning, I can participate my anecdote.

Silver 208/308 (all pugs since the 306/106 have been rubbish) very old passenger and a late 60 year old "driver".

The exit is actually angled to make driving up it akin to a hairpin, and there is the big arrow with a red line through it.

Nuts..

Terrible about the old man in Tipp, . I know mobility and independence are a issue in rural Ireland, but at 82...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I can see why previously there was some justification for not incorporating motorway driving into the driving test, but given the 100's of km of motorway that has been constructed over the last 5-6 years it is crazy we are not teaching learner drivers how to safely drive on these roads.
    The driving test should be updated to reflect the current reality of everyday driving in Ireland.
    Obviously it won't solve the problem of stupid behaviour from current drivers, but it should improve things in the years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It happens all over the world, even in that bastion of well trained motorway drivers, Germany. They call them 'Geisterfahrer', or 'ghost drivers'. So not a typical Irish problem, nor apparently, a lot to do with lack of suitable motorway training.

[Warning ... graphic images of some very nasty car crashes]
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=Geisterfahrer&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5DmjUYrtHeSM7Aap14D4BQ&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=871

When I lived there, the RDS traffic alerts would alert other drivers to these incidents ... quite a chilling thing if all of a sudden your music is interrupted by a (loud) 'Geisterfahrer auf der A8' blaring out of the radio if that's the road you're on.

Advertisement